Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 09-18-2006, 12:05 AM

Default VocALign Pro Or VocALign Project?

I have a movie that has allot of ADR and am considering VocALign, but not sure witch one I should get? Is the Pro version really necessary?

Thanks, Mark
Old 09-18-2006, 01:12 AM

Default Re: VocALign Pro Or VocALign Project?

I wouldn't bother with either just sync it manually; It will just as quick and work better
Old 09-18-2006, 06:47 AM

I have VocAlign Project and tried the demo of VocAlign Pro. VocAlign Pro is more flexible and is supposed to be based on a more advanced microediting algorythm. I found it did, indeed, work better than VocAlign Project.

I know many of the people on this forum don't use it, though after having tried the Pro version I'm puzzled as to why. It doesn't always work, but if you work with shorter segments it usually does a very good job very quickly. There were some instances where it actually made things worse, but those were few and far between - maybe one time out of 30.

You have to read the PDF to understand how it actually works, but I found it useful. If you're doing a movie project that has a considerable amount of ADR, you should at least try the demo. You can download it at the SynchroArts web site. It works for about two weeks.
Old 09-18-2006, 09:05 AM

I always hated Vocalign for years because I never got good results until I tried it again recently. I was working on a micro-budget side project with a ton of ADR and so I decided to give Vocalign another chance. I had always used my ears, eyes, nudge, and TCE trimmer tool before so I was skeptical. It actually worked great. It saved me a lot of time (I was working for a flat fee), was no more artifacty than the TCE trimmer (in some cases less), and gave the ADR a very tight sync. As dbHEAD pointed out, the trick is to break up the lines into small pieces, individual words or short phrases, the same way I usually used the trimmer. In some instances, the old method was still better, but overall I was very impressed. BTW, I was using Project and have not tried Pro yet.