Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools | MTRX & MTRX Studio

Old 08-25-2020, 11:14 AM

Default Re: First steps with MTRX Studio

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativecontrol View Post
Speaker processing can be used on analog OR digital output sets.

Yes this will absolutely work.

Your MTRX Studio will have 32 bidirectional channels that could be used for Dante and ADAT in addition to the 18 analog inputs.

Your HD IO will have 16 channels of IO connected to port 2 of your HD Native engine.

Either Loop Sync or Word Clock are viable synchronization methods.

Jeff

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Thanks Jeff!

Just to be clear. That means I can't have speaker processing on both analog output AND digital out at the same time?
Old 08-25-2020, 11:21 AM
Avid

Yes you can. As long as you don’t exceed 16 channels of speakers you can have any combination of analog and digital outs. Examples:

Analog 9.1.6 output set tuned
7.1.4 set IP plus 2 discrete sets of analog stereo nearfields tuned
Etc.

When changing output sets the DSP is reallocated - so as long as your widest channel width is 16 or less you should be fine.

Also, keep in mind if you are tuning additional monitors those would subtract from the pool of SPQ resources.

best,

Jeff

MTRX FAQ
Old 08-25-2020, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Yes you can. As long as you don’t exceed 16 channels of speakers you can have any combination of analog and digital outs. Examples:

Analog 9.1.6 output set tuned
7.1.4 set IP plus 2 discrete sets of analog stereo nearfields tuned
Etc.

When changing output sets the DSP is reallocated - so as long as your widest channel width is 16 or less you should be fine.

Also, keep in mind if you are tuning additional monitors those would subtract from the pool of SPQ resources.

best,

Jeff

Fantastic, Thanks Jeff!
Old 09-09-2020, 03:20 AM

Hello,

And sorry to hijack this thread but I am getting desperate. I have MTRX Studio and was having phase issues when parallel processing thru Hardware Inserts on playback. So I did the reverse polarity test (see pic) - just white noise from output 1 back to input 1, no external processing and I just haven´t been able to sum to zero.

I did multiple loopback tests and entered the values to I/O-HW Insert Delay
Followed up on : https://avid.secure.force.com/pkb/ar...tings-Digi-dly
-> tried both min. and 5 values in DADman (Digi dly) as I don´t have anything extra connected to the MTRX Studio.
I also tried quite a few nearby values in Protools to check if I could get the audio sum to zero fully. .. Also the values you provided, but without success.

I was in contact with Avid Customer Care and they told me to set the DADman Digi dly value to min. + the information I had already tried as well as the "Avid’s HD series of IO’s will compensate for our Avid IO converter latencies (HD-IO, HD OMNI, and older 192’s), but not for external gear. You would still need to add values in IO set up to compensate for the latency introduced by external gear. Please note that this compensation does not exist with the MTRX series of hardware since it was developed by a 3rd party and is Avid branded (not developed by Avid)." I tried writing them back to give me a checklist what to do for the most basic setup - haven´t had a reply in over a week.

I´m really at pickle here, do I really need revert back to AVID HD I/O? or is there something in DADman that I´m not getting?-)

I do get full reverse polarity if I render the audio with "commit up to this insert" and remove the HW Insert from path. Or if I bounce the whole mix. This just makes the mixing process / playback really annoying when having a lot of outboard hardware.

Thank you for your time,
Jonne
(iMacPro/10.14.6./HD Native/PT Ultimate 2020.9.)

Edit - added link to pic : https://drive.google.com/file/d/1sgG...ew?usp=sharing

Quote:
Sure, that's pretty simple.

When:
I want to patch in my Distressor to use as an analog hardware insert to perform some parallel compression on a drum bus.

How:
Access Setup > IO and find the tab called H/W Insert Delay. The values are in msecs. Before you get here you are going to need to PATCH first in the Con section of DADman:

Here's an example of patching in a simple piece of analog outboard gear on channel x:
AD -> patched to DigiLink 1 on channel x
DigiLink 1 -> patched to DA for the same channel

Then find that channel number in the H/W Insert Delay window. The propagation delays are discussed in the manual - so following should work for you:

44.1 kHz = 1.29 ms
48.0 kHz = 1.17 ms
88.2 kHz = .64 ms
96 kHz = .58 ms
176.4 kHz = .28 ms
192 kHz = .25 ms

Jeff

Last edited by Jonne; 09-09-2020 at 03:42 AM.
Old 09-09-2020, 05:41 AM
Avid

Greetings,

How close are you getting? When you flip the polarity on the combined how far down in dB's is the result?

Jeff
MTRX FAQ
Old 09-09-2020, 07:08 AM

Hello Jeff,

And thank you for a quick reply! With minimum delay in DADman and 0.95ms in Protools (48kHz session). Non flipped -5db (RMS) and -10db (RMS) when flipped. This is the closest I´ve gotten. (Sample peak at approx -2db when flipped).

Yours,
Jonne

Quote:
Greetings,

How close are you getting? When you flip the polarity on the combined how far down in dB's is the result?

Jeff
Old 09-09-2020, 07:15 AM
Avid

I don't believe you have the correct delay value assigned for the HW Insert Delay in IO Setup. Looking at my notes - at 48kHz with AD DA patched into Pro Tools you should be ~ 1.17 ms. I can take a look at this later today and repro.

Jeff
MTRX FAQ
Old 09-09-2020, 08:39 AM

Thank you! On a loopback test I got 46 samples hence the 0.95ms.

(edit, following : https://avid.secure.force.com/pkb/ar...e-Insert-Delay )

Yours,
Jonne

Quote:
I don't believe you have the correct delay value assigned for the HW Insert Delay in IO Setup. Looking at my notes - at 48kHz with AD DA patched into Pro Tools you should be ~ 1.17 ms. I can take a look at this later today and repro.

Jeff

Last edited by Jonne; 09-11-2020 at 11:39 PM.
Old 09-23-2020, 09:34 PM

Hey Jeff,

I was wondering if there is a video out there about speaker tuning with the MTRX. I'm about to get into that with a 7.1.4 setup and there really isn't much information about saving different tunings and the steps that one might go through in order to do that. If there is some more detailed information than what is in the videos so far I'd love to know. Thank you.
Old 09-24-2020, 11:36 PM

Ok, it seems there is a bug in Protools. I´ve been in contact with Avid Customer Care concerning the HW inserts for some time now and got a reply : "We found a bug within Pro Tools that is not allowing a complete cancellation, and that this is not an MTRX Studio Issue, and would I like you to know the bug number (PT-265901) that it is under review with product management."

I´m actually somewhat surprised that people haven´t noticed this. Or maybe they have. Too busy making music instead of summing white noise to zero.. :)

Hope they fix this soon,

Yours,
Jonne

Quote:

Jeff