Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-25-2012, 09:52 PM

Default Audio appearing too early

I've got an 003 on a Windows7 64 bit machine running PT8. I used this setup fine for a long time (on the same machine, starting with PT7.4), but haven't done much with PT lately since I started using Reaper.

Anyways, I'm doing a session in ProTools now, and I noticed that things didn't seem to line up correctly. All of my recorded audio was sounding slightly off. So, I put up a mic, played back a recording of a snare sample, and recorded it from the studio monitors onto another track. When I look at the recorded audio, it ends up being earlier than the original sound, as if there is some sort of latency compensation which is out of whack. I don't remember this happening in previous sessions.

Is there something I'm missing? Is there a setting somewhere that would cause the recorded audio to not line up correctly?

The tracks have no plugins on them. I'm recording into an API A2D through SPDIF. I also noticed that when using the 003 inputs the audio sounds early as well (although I haven't actually tested this directly yet, I've only sample tested through the API A2D)
Old 02-25-2012, 11:05 PM

Default Re: Audio appearing too early

Are you on 8.0.5? I know that one of the earlier versions of 8 had this problem.

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.9, HD Native, Focusrite Red 8Pre

Presonus Faderport, Pro Tools | Control
Old 02-26-2012, 11:07 AM

You know what, I'm not sure, it's been a long time since I've done any tracking in PT, so I'll have to check it out and see.
Old 02-26-2012, 06:28 PM

There was a big thread on this last year. 8.0.4 was a timing nightmare. I never tried 8.0.5 as I went to 9. 8.0.4cs2 seemed to fix the issue at 44.1, but 48K was still a mess. I seem to remember that 8.0.3 and earlier were okay, but knowing which version you have will tell that tale.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 02-26-2012, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
There was a big thread on this last year. 8.0.4 was a timing nightmare. I never tried 8.0.5 as I went to 9. 8.0.4cs2 seemed to fix the issue at 44.1, but 48K was still a mess. I seem to remember that 8.0.3 and earlier were okay, but knowing which version you have will tell that tale.
Well, I think I had 8.0.4CS2, but I updated to 8.0.5 today, and now it is showing up late, although not by much, and changing the buffer doesn't cause a huge swing in the timing, so I think I can make it work this time around.

I'm getting a new interface soon for Reaper, and if I need to do more ProTools projects, I might just end up upgrading to version 9 or 10 if I have to, but I hate the fact that it costs so much, and I'm going to have to pay even more so that my plugins will work. Reaper doesn't care if my WUP was up 3 years ago, they still work just fine!
Old 02-26-2012, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markblasco View Post
...and now it is showing up late...
That's the converter delay of the A2D. Pro Tools LE cannot compensate for that.

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.9, HD Native, Focusrite Red 8Pre

Presonus Faderport, Pro Tools | Control