Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-20-2018, 05:16 AM

Default "error 1316" when I try to uninstall Avid HD Driver(x64)

Hello,

I have had nothing but trouble with Pro Tools 11.3.2 since I've installed it on my new windows rig. I can't open projects, I can't change the sample rates, I get clicks and pops even though I am barely taxing the CPU, etc..

I made a thread about these problems on this forum a couple of months ago and you guys told me that I probably need to re-install pro tools. I just haven't had the mental energy of trying to fix it until now.

So. First thing's first. I uninstall Pro Tools and all the drivers.
The only thing left I have to uninstall now is the Avid HD Driver but I am getting an error message saying the following:

"error 1316. the specified account already exists"

What can I do about this? I've tried googling it but I can't seem to find any tips other than the usual "download our malware" links.

Has anybody here ever gotten this error message before? And if so - what did you do to fix it? Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!
Old 12-20-2018, 01:21 PM

Default Re: "error 1316" when I try to uninstall Avid HD Driver(x64)

How can anyone help when we know absolutely nothing about your setup? Right now, all we know is, you have some version of Windows..... Look up in the dark greay area at the top of this(and every) DUC page for the link called Help Us Help You. Have a good read and then come back with the info as described.

Some general Windows tips you need to know:
#1-set Windows(in Sound Properties) to NOT use your interface as the "default playback device"(that allows PT to access and control the interface)
#2- whenever you uninstall PT, always uninstall the HD driver too(if its an option).
#3-sometimes the only solution is to re-format and load everything from scratch(don't be afraid to do this, but don't just do it desperation when there may be a simple solution).
#4-get hip to drive imaging and drive cloning as either(or both) can save you tons of wasted time down the road. Saving regular drive images(to a big external drive) is a great way to be able to restore to a point in time when your rig was running great(no point in saving an image of a system that runs like crap). It can also save you from a bad update, a crappy demo or a virus attack(and as soon as you connect to the internet, your computer is a target). Drive cloning just takes it up a notch where you have a spare system drive(so if your main drive goes to crap, you swap out for the clone and get back to when things were dandy)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 12-20-2018, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
How can anyone help when we know absolutely nothing about your setup? Right now, all we know is, you have some version of Windows..... Look up in the dark greay area at the top of this(and every) DUC page for the link called Help Us Help You. Have a good read and then come back with the info as described.

Some general Windows tips you need to know:
#1-set Windows(in Sound Properties) to NOT use your interface as the "default playback device"(that allows PT to access and control the interface)
#2- whenever you uninstall PT, always uninstall the HD driver too(if its an option).
#3-sometimes the only solution is to re-format and load everything from scratch(don't be afraid to do this, but don't just do it desperation when there may be a simple solution).
#4-get hip to drive imaging and drive cloning as either(or both) can save you tons of wasted time down the road. Saving regular drive images(to a big external drive) is a great way to be able to restore to a point in time when your rig was running great(no point in saving an image of a system that runs like crap). It can also save you from a bad update, a crappy demo or a virus attack(and as soon as you connect to the internet, your computer is a target). Drive cloning just takes it up a notch where you have a spare system drive(so if your main drive goes to crap, you swap out for the clone and get back to when things were dandy)
Here's my setup:
Soundcard: Apollo x8
MB: Asrock taichi z370
Thunderbolt 3 card: GC-alpine ridge rev 2.0
ssd: M.2 Samsung 1tb
CPU: i7 8086k
GPU: GTX 1060 3gb
RAM: 32gb DDR4

I wrote my initial message out of pure frustration and anger so I apologize for forgetting to write out my system details.

So what has happened since I posted this thred is the following:

I uninstalled Pro Tools 11.3.2 so that I could perform a fresh install.
Well "fresh-ish", since I still can't uninstall the HD driver for whatever reason.

Then I went to download a fresh Pro Tools 11.3.2 installation file from avids website. I installed it and went to open up Pro Tools.....aaand...my activation on my ilok had expired.

So once again I uninstall Pro Tools 11.3.2.

I go to avids website thinking "**** it" and bought a one year plan for Pro Tools 10, 11 and 12 (12 is now re-branded as "2018" , right?).

I downloaded Pro Tools 2018.12.0 from avids website and installed it.
So far so good?

Everything seems okay, BUT... All of my audio is now in MONO for some reason.

I've been checking the I/O in Pro Tools and everything seems fine. I've checked the apollo console and that also seems fine.

I've attached some images showing the ins and outs in Pro Tools as well as a photo showing the ins and outs of the Apollo Console.

I've checked my cables and as well as making sure that no "mono-buttons" have been pressed on any piece of hardware or software.

I bet there's a simple solution but I can't for the love of baby jesus figure it out.

Thanks again!

Old 12-20-2018, 03:04 PM

EDIT: I did some more googling and foud the solution on how to fix the sound from being in MONO to STEREO. Wheeeew. I need some ibuprofen right about now, lol.

I still think it's weird how I wasn't able to uninstall the HD driver BUT it all seems to be working (knock on wood) right now.

I'll fill you guys in if I encounter anything else.
Old 12-21-2018, 06:18 AM

Don't know for sure but on windows i have gotten error messages from "uninstaller" when the actual program has already been uninstalled but left behind the uninstaller. I just delete/trash anything left and dont worry about it.
Old 12-22-2018, 05:09 PM

error 1316 removing protools driver
It's a registry error. Install ccleaner and have it clean your registry and then reinstall protools

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 Ti
Samsung 960 PRO Series - 512GB PCIe NVMe - M.2 Internal SSD (MZ-V6P512BW)
32GB G.Skill DDR4 TridentZ RGB 3200Mhz PC4-25600 CL16 1.35V Quad Channel Kit
ASUS Expansion Card for Z170 & X99 Motherboards ThunderboltEX 3
Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter
Focusrite Clarett 4 Pre and UAD Apollo 8 QUAD
Pure 2 Mastering AD/DA Converter & Clock
UAD-2 Satellite USB QUAD
Old 10-28-2021, 06:54 PM

A little late getting into this thread but I just started having the issue with error 1316 and being unable to uninstall Avid HD driver version 20.12.0. I found out about this when I was trying to update to the newest version of Pro Tools and Avid Link kept notifying me that the Avid HD driver needed updating. The new version of Pro Tools was not able to overwrite the old HD driver version on my system, version 20.12.0 so the new version could not be installed nor could I uninstall the old version. What finally fixed it was using a free Windows maintenance tool to uninstall programs called MicrosoftProgram_Install_and_Uninstall.meta. You can find this by doing a Google search. Then run it and follow instructions. I was able to uninstall the old Avid HD driver using this without any issues. This was on a Windows 10 system.
Old 10-29-2021, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusionmusic007 View Post
... unable to uninstall Avid HD driver version 20.12.0 ... The new version of Pro Tools was not able to overwrite the old HD driver version on my system ...
Glad you got it working - sloppy driver coding from AVID.

Another possible solution for failed Windows uninstalls is to first reinstall the old one, see if it can now be successfully uninstalled, CCleaner reg clean, and finally install new one.
Click for audio/video demo
Click for resume