Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 08-16-2006, 07:22 AM

Default Metric halo Channel Strip TDM

I have been using this plugin for a few months now and it has a great sound on drums. The compressor is the best I have found. However, I have found it to be very unstable now I started to work at 44.1

At 48k it works perfectly, but in 44.1 I can only use 3 instances before I get errors -7106 and -9204. It claims there are insufficient system resources. This pattern happens even with a new session and no audio. If I can open a session, it will close very slowly and then open will all sorts of problems. Channelstrip then reserves empty TDM slots at 0% until I restart Pro Tools.

Has anyone had experience of this? I am running Mix 6.4.1 on 10.3.7 with 4 cards on a G4 933. Also not using any Waves.

No response from Metric halo as yet.
Old 08-16-2006, 07:39 AM

Default Re: Metric halo Channel Strip TDM

Quote:
I have been using this plugin for a few months now and it has a great sound on drums. The compressor is the best I have found. However, I have found it to be very unstable now I started to work at 44.1

At 48k it works perfectly, but in 44.1 I can only use 3 instances before I get errors -7106 and -9204. It claims there are insufficient system resources. This pattern happens even with a new session and no audio. If I can open a session, it will close very slowly and then open will all sorts of problems. Channelstrip then reserves empty TDM slots at 0% until I restart Pro Tools.

Has anyone had experience of this? I am running Mix 6.4.1 on 10.3.7 with 4 cards on a G4 933. Also not using any Waves.

Yes, we have used ChannelStrip for 2 years and make it the default plugin on all channels. However, it does "hang up" on opening at intermittent times. Usually restarting ProTools will fix the problem. I have used as many as 32 instances without a hiccup.
(6.4...10.3.7....Gr Dual 2 Gig)

No response from Metric halo as yet.
Old 08-16-2006, 07:43 AM

Unforunately ive had a similar experience with CS. Ive been using it since the OS 9 days and its been buggy all along. First off it only runs on non accel cards. For me its buggy at any sample rate. Wait until you try it at 88.2. It does sound great though. They told me they are working on getting it updated but thats been going on for a while. I still use it but only on about 2 or 3 channels. No problem there. Try Mcdsp Channel G. Its really great. Thats become my main go to compressor and eq. Not as "load and go" as CS but really versatile and the compressor is equally good in a little different way.

Mills Logan
Nashville, TN
Old 08-16-2006, 12:03 PM

Unfortunately, Metric Halo has let me down so much with Channel Strip that I have dropped using it altogether. It's a shame cause it was an expensive one and I have it on two machines. Plus I became very fond of it. If it wasn't that I have many archived songs using it, I would sell both.

Problems:

No Accel card support....STILL!...
It's Buggy...
Not a single enhancement since it was introduced many years ago....
And no help getting it to work with D-command... (I even sent them a fax of how it maps poorly on the D-command, hoping they would do something).
I have come to the conclusion that it's a hopeless case! Metric Halo as put their resources elsewhere.

mike
Old 08-16-2006, 12:33 PM

I'm not sure that you can sell it even. It's challenge response with no sign of an iLok. The only enhancement I would want would be a range control on the gate. But hey, let's get it working first! I am using a work around of not putting channelstrip on more than one chip. That means using rtas for the rest of my instances. That's a crazy workaround for a $700 piece of software though. They were very good at communication before I made the purchase assuring me the challenge response would not be a problem.
Old 08-16-2006, 03:00 PM

I bought it and used to use it, but I don't anymore. There are lots of other channel strip options out there today. It's a good idea to go with one of them.

MH is a very interesting company, but I don't think you can rely on them to keep their TDM stuff up to date. Some of their updates, like SpectraFoo for OSX, took forever.

If you want to keep up with Mac OS and PT version updates, you can't fool around.

Regarding your situation, though, I noticed that you said you were running "Mix 6.4.1 on 10.3.7." PT 6.4.1 was never tested by Digidesign on anything past 10.3.4. Have you experimented with downgrading your OS? I'm not sure is 10.3.7 is the OS of choice for people sticking with Mix systems.

Lee Blaske
Old 08-16-2006, 06:18 PM

in os 9 channel strip used to work.... I recently git it for os x and it is still sooooo buggy... The gate dont really work it gates all the time regardless of threshold when used on a mono track and no accell support... I have written MHLABS lot of times but they aint doing nothing about it... I believe they are coming close to bankruptcy ... so dont expect any support from their side...
Old 08-17-2006, 01:09 AM

ChannelStrip is a great sounding compressor.

Unfortunately, even after all this time, Metric Halo still doesn't support iLok.

Bummer!
Old 08-17-2006, 03:44 AM

The problem with challenge/response is if MHL do go under I will not be able to change computers or hard drives. Going to iLok would be a weight off my mind after just paying out for CS.
Old 08-17-2006, 09:26 AM

It's unfortunate to find so much frustration with CS here. We use it extensively, and have had very few problems with it. As well, Matt at MHLabs has always been very responsive to my communication.

FWIW.
Washington, DC 20036