Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 03-22-2006, 01:07 PM

Default MIDI Tracks not in tune with Audio Tracks

Hello. I've been having an issue as of late, and I'm curious to know if it is a common thing...

I'm currently working on a project that, at this point, contains Audio Tracks (real Guitar and Bass) that are being used along with MIDI Tracks (via Virtual Instruments through the AUX tracks).

The problem I'm having is that the Guitar and Bass tracks seem to be slightly out of tune with the MIDI tracks---particularly the "Piano" patches in Sonik Synth 2 and to some degree Xpand.

There are MIDI/Virtual Pads, Horns and Organs in this track and they seem to be in tune with the Bass and Guitar... but, the Virtual Pianos seem to be a little flat.

Is this a common thing??

The Guitar and Bass were tuned from two different tuning sources (to 440) and they are intonated correctly all over the neck.

When I solo the Virtual Piano, Bass and Guitar...it's not drastically out of tune, but enough to make me quirm. Flat, sampled Piano that makes my skin crawl.

Before I look into re-recording my (perfect take) audio tracks, I'm wanting to know if there is anything else that can be done to salvage what I already worked on.

Thanks.
Old 03-22-2006, 01:24 PM

Default Re: MIDI Tracks not in tune with Audio Tracks

Audiosuite pitch the gtr and bass. What tuner are you using? Some tuner boxes are not accurate. Lately, I'm using the Bombfactory tuner plug.
Click for demo
Old 03-22-2006, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Audiosuite pitch the gtr and bass. What tuner are you using? Some tuner boxes are not accurate. Lately, I'm using the Bombfactory tuner plug.
Thanks for the response.. for the guitars I used a Boss Pedal Tuner (you know, the white one that sells for around $90), and for the Bass I used the built in tuner on my Line 6 Bass PODXT.
Old 03-22-2006, 03:22 PM

I have found some synth sounds to be off pitch wise, especially basses.
Sometimes the pitched audio can sound a little artificial so here is a possible alternate method. If you have the midi note information, you can re-lay the piano while pitching the piano via midi. It's a little like holding the pitch wheel a hair up while it goes down again, except you do it with more precision in ProTools with the pitch bend graph.
Old 03-22-2006, 05:32 PM

Is the piano flat across the entire performance or only in certain ranges? I'd venture to guess the piano is whacked and everything else if fine.

cheap multisampled patches usually don't follow scale exactly because of pitch interpolation. You have notes sampled at C and E. If the sample engine is wonky or the original sample is slightly out of tune, C#, D and D# will sound progressively flatter or sharper depending on how whacked the engine and/or sample is. Most people won't notice but if you have perfect pitch it's like licking a cheese grater. Larger sample intervals are even more fun....

Try a different piano patch, try Xpand!, try finetuning the patch...try anything but re-recording the original bass/gtr takes. I would save that as a very last resort.
Old 03-22-2006, 06:46 PM

Let me give you guys an update...

I just did a little test...

I recorded myself playing a droning Middle C on the Sonik Synth 2, first with about three of the piano patches... I then inserted the Bomb Factory tuner on the audio track, and the pianos were indeed flat. Atleast at Middle C.

I then tried an Organ patch using the same method... and it was in tune.

I then tried a Brass section patch...in tune.

I then tried an Electric Piano Rhodes type patch...in tune.

I then went back and tried another acoustic piano patch... once again, the piano patch is flat.

It appears there are tuning issues with the Sonik Synth 2 sampled acoustic pianos.

Does anybody have any experience with IVORY??
Old 03-23-2006, 08:06 PM

Quote:

Does anybody have any experience with IVORY??
Yeah, I experienced a $300 debit from my bank account. I've only used the VST version though in Live. I'm not a piano player so I'm not really qualified to make a judgement, but it sounds better than anything else I've tried so far. Hope you have lots of RAM.