Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-18-2000, 09:32 AM

Default Invest in PRO-TOOLS now???

I know if you need it there is no waiting.
That said.
24/96 Pro-Tools, When?
Non SCSI based TDM PRO-TOOLS, When?(I need a TDM based tool that is not scsi dependent and works like the 001, more than I need 64 tracks. ALSO No Computer stores carry SCSI anymore. So this makes it harder to get set-up and to keep running. This is going to become a dependability issue soon).
002 with 20 in and 24 out, 32 or 36 tracks(16 light I-O), When?
Digi has not made a major announcement in over a year. It must be coming soon????
Please voice your views.
Thanks

Old 05-18-2000, 10:15 AM

Default Re: Invest in PRO-TOOLS now???

If there will be new hardware announced (and I've hezrd mixed things), it will most likely be at AES in the fall. Digi has announced virtually all new generations of PT at this time, every other year.

Digi keeps insisting that 96k won't happen any time soon, but I'd be surprised if there aren't at least some new farms shown in the fall.

And technically, TDM is NOT scsi dependent right now. I'm not sure what maximum track count is, but you can definitely run it off of IDE drives.

Mike
Old 05-18-2000, 03:08 PM

Ultra ATA66 7,200 is what my mix+ works on,
No crashes, disk too slow or anything. Up to
31 tracks so far with a dense amount of edits. Mike, would digi offer current mix
cores & farms owners some way of having
those cards modified for 24/96,in a similar
way you guys did the 1st generation 888/24s
(20 bit analog outputs)or dsp farms(before QC
rev.to be compatible with g4s).
Or will the cards purchased today be outdated
by fall....
Thanks,
Eric
www.peaksound.com
Old 05-18-2000, 09:25 PM

That`s "if" digi comes out with a 24/96
version of the mix system.
Just a hypothetical question..
Old 06-02-2000, 10:45 PM

Eric, I really hope they don't until hd's and backup media can catch up. Doubling the data we're already using is no small order.

I'd rather see a 128 bit mix bus first.

But if they do make the old farm cards "obsolete", I'd be happy to take as many of those old, dusty cards off your hands as possible, and I won't even charge you for removal.

Think Microphone guy might be confusing "SCSI" with "PCI"?

------------------
Angelo Quaglia
AQ Productions

Cheers,
Angelo Quaglia
Old 06-02-2000, 11:40 PM

No problem Angelo, you`ll be 1st one i`ll
call...
Thanks,
Eric

www.peaksound.com
Old 06-03-2000, 11:40 AM

Confused about PCI or SCSI???
That is a very poor attempt at humor. But my problem is not with users. I have again asked Digi for price protection for these two items. Instead of saying yes or no they say They have heard of no plans for either item. They must be reading from a script. This is the 5th or 6th time I have gotten the exact same responce (word for word)
It does not matter if you use 24/96. it just matters for anybody buying a PT system in the next few months. Weather there is a FREE upgrade and what is the cutoff date.
Thanks
Old 06-03-2000, 11:57 AM

I'm not familiar with the AVID video products, but are any of those 24/96? The reason I am asking is because you'd see Pro Tools go 24/96 when any AVID video system also went 24/96. I'm sure AVID/Digi want to keep their workstations as closely integrated as a possible.

Look to AVID video workstations as the first sign of 24/96 commitment.
/paul
Old 06-03-2000, 04:51 PM

Actually, I wasn't trying to be funny. Sorry if that sounded like an insult.

What area are you in? It's not all that hard to find scsi cards where I am. And even if I had to resort to mail order, there would be no difference in dependability, since I would be the one installing the thing even if I bought it from the store down the street.

I don't understand what you mean when you say "But my problem is not with users." In fact, I don't really understand your problem at all. Are you actually having a problem now, or just want to scale down your setup? What drives other than scsi are you interested in using? Have you tried using any of them yet?

------------------
Angelo Quaglia
AQ Productions

Cheers,
Angelo Quaglia
Old 06-04-2000, 08:47 PM

While I will let Microphone defend himself-
I think his point is that he does not want to get burned buying a new system this summer only to have it be obsolete in the fall by new DIGI anouncements.
I have been there. PTIII to PT24 to PTmix then I had to buy another Mix Farm. OUCH!
But-- the truth is that nothing out there is close to mix plus. NOTHING. I admit this even though I am ANGRY as all hell at DIGI for a variety of abuses it perpetrates on its users.
If you by at the right price (or used) I think mixplus will hold its value fairly well for at least a year to two. The only piece that I have doubts about is the 888/24.
Good Luck.