Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Getting Started

Old 11-17-2021, 01:57 AM

Default Interface not found

I have a m audio interface and for Some reason when I set up a recording session, it can't find it in The options. Can. You. Help me. Thanks

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk
Old 11-17-2021, 02:11 AM

Default Re: Interface not found

Hi Welcome to DUC.

Much more basic info needed. Start by having a read of the stuff under "Help us help you" up the top of each DUC web page.

Then after reading that please provide basic info including:

Operating system and version.
computer model.
Exact Pro Tools version. First? standard? Ultimate? what version number?
Exact model M audio Interface and exact driver for it that you have installed.

What are you talking about with "The Options"? There is nothing called "Options" where you set the interface being used. Describe carefully what you mean or attache a screen shot.

Hold down the 'N' key while starting Pro Tools and keep it held down until you see the Playback Engine dialog panel, can you select the M Audio interface there?

If on Windows you should be installing an ASIO driver for the interface, if the vendor does not provide an ASIO driver then maybe use the generic ASIO4ALL wrapper driver but that often is not great. And on Windows make sure that Windows sound and other applications are not trying to use the same interface as Pro Tools.

Does the interface driver you installed claim to support the OS version your computer is running?

If the interface appears to be working, and recognized as the playback engine in Pro Tools but you don't' see names for IO in the interface you expect then the Setup>IO assignments/names inside Pro Tools may simply be wrong and need to be deleted/defaulted. Easy to do, but give more info and describe the problem more clearly....
Old 11-17-2021, 09:49 AM

Hi there, thanks so much. So I have a m audio interface. See attached in photo. Its on and working. How do I set it up, as an option on the track to playback through it? I'm not sure I'm making 100 percent sense. But let me know I appreciate ur support. Thanks

Old 11-17-2021, 10:02 AM

I have an imac 2013.
I have protools standard for 1 month :)
The interface appears in the playback engine twice, for some reason there are two options for 'fast track'. When I select an output from the audio track option there is no option for fast track. Just bit confused. Thank u

Old 11-17-2021, 10:18 AM

In the mix, it says bus, plug in and interface, but only the bus is highlighted as an option. Meaning interface can't be selected.

Old 11-17-2021, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livftw123 View Post
In the mix, it says bus, plug in and interface, but only the bus is highlighted as an option. Meaning interface can't be selected.

"In the Mix"? You mean in the Track I/O selectors aka track I/O pulldowns or track I/O selector pulldown. Call them something that makes sense, they are not "in the mix" or "options" every bloody input field, pull down menu etc. in the product would be an "option". If you are unclear what to call stuff the Pro Tools reference guide will help since it describes the UI very well. And for a newbie you should have the PDF of that Reference Guide open and trying to use it for help... it's not a tutorial but it's great help in addition to finding tutorials.

So in Pro Tools speak none of the interfaces actual I/O shows up in the I/O selectors. You likely either have the wrong playback engine selected, and/or a driver not compatible with the operating system, or the IO settings in Pro Tools are messed up. Most useful starting point is to exclude an interface/driver issue.

So going back to the many question you have not answered.... answer all the following questions inline in detail.

0. What *exact* macOS version is your Mac running? Top of screen menu>Apple Icon>About This Mac (e.g. "Big Sur 11.6" might be an answer). See that was not hard.

1. What exact version of Pro Tools are you using? e.g. 2021.10? Top of screen menu>Pro Tools>About Pro Tools. See that was not hard.

2. What exact interface is this? You must know this or be able to work it out, it's right in front of you. Got a model number on a sticker? Having problem attaching a photo? Instead find a photo online and post the URL or get the model number/name from online.

3. What exact driver did you install? Name/driver version of if you can't work that out give a link to where you downloaded them from. You did not install a driver or don't understand the question say so.

4. The interface appears twice in the playback engine list, well that's nice, but not what I asked... I want to know *exactly* what is showing up as options in that list, all the exact names/strings and which one you have selected/tried in the past.

5. What track I/O selectors are you talking about? Input or Output or both?

6. Have you gotten Pro Tools to do basic stuff on your Mac? Like play back pre-recorded audio using "Built-In Output" (or whatever the main output speakers are called on your Mac) as the playback Engine? If not then do that now.

7. If you have the correct drivers installed and they are compatible with the version of macOS on the Mac, or the device is class compliant (and does not need separate drivers), and the correct playback engine device is selected. (and they are all big If's). Then the IO settings may just be messed up. In each of the three Setup>IO>{input, output, bus} tabs click the Default button. Does that now show expected I/O paths? Do you see what you expect in the Track I/O selectors? If not then the cause will likely be driver/playback engine being incompatible/wrong... what all the questions above are trying to work out.

---

You are clearly a bit lost getting started with Pro Tools. You are going to have to learn how to use Pro Tools, it's akin to a high end CAD package, not a word processor. You don't just sit down with Solidworks and think you are going to design a car, or bolt, or paperweight. And trying to do the equivalent with Pro Tools typically leads to wasting your own time and lots of frustration. A great place to get started is look for some Pro Tools tutorial videos on YouTube, M Audio may even have their own (for Pro Tools First at least). And follow along those tutorials as closely as you can until you get basic things working.
Old 11-18-2021, 05:14 AM

0. Mac OS CATALINA 10.15.7

1. Pro tools version 2021.10.

2. M-AUDIO INTERFACE. Fast track. PN: ML03-00454

3.No driver. haven't installed one.

4. in the playback. options seen are -
Protools Aggregate I/O.
Built in mic.
Built in output.
Fast Track.
Fast Track.

I have tried both of the fast track options and same results as following.

5. So, I have created a track, I opened the mix. I see the IO says
BUS1. and underneath FL/F. I press the BUS1 and above it says 'interface', which I assume is the select point for connection. and below says 'plug in' but both are unavailable to press. they are grey and don't allow to select them.

6. have selected them.

7. I Selected all IOS to default. I still have issue as no input option for interface highlighted.

Thank you for your help. perhaps if this fails I can upgrade and use photo.s thank you . kind regards
Old 11-18-2021, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livftw123 View Post
0. Mac OS CATALINA 10.15.7

1. Pro tools version 2021.10.
Good a Pro Tools version supported on this macOS release.

Quote:
2. M-AUDIO INTERFACE. Fast track. PN: ML03-00454
Damn Avid/M-Audio, why can't they put a human understandable product name on their products. Anyhow Googling this part number turns up it's likely a Fast Track USB II (aka Fast Track II USB)? (mentioned in this old DUC thread: https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=384997)

Yikes that's an old Avid ownership era M-Audio interface. And it seems to me that it's not class compliant, so requires a driver.

You need to get your act together. If you want to stick with the M-Audio thing work out clearly the interface you have and if it requires a driver or not, and if one is available (from Avid not M-Audio given the apparent age of this box) for your macOS version. Follow the start I made and confirm for yourself.

Lookout... time to dump on Avid/M-Audio.... The M-Audio products at Avid were some of the worst consumer grade audio crap ever made. And since then Avid dumped the dregs of that business out to Air/M-Audio. The were not and are not now nice low-end products. Frequently stuffed in with demo/crapware like Pro Tools First, that just burns many new users. Poor products and awful customer support, the business objectives just never made any sense while a part of Avid, sheer braindead lunacy. I'd strongly suggest not wasting any more time on this and go buy something better.

Some brands to start looking at: the low-end I'd recommend Focusrite, maybe Presonus, higher end some of the lower-end MOTU and UAD's new Volt interfaces, or Apogee or UAD Apollo or RME (my personal favorite interface manufacturer) at higher end. So many great products, and a lot of the choices here are about buying from a company who has decent quality software and support. If you want help choosing an interface posts what you're doing/what IO connectivity you need and folks are pretty good here about giving interface advice. The Focusrite 2i2 is *the* ubiquitous beginner interface.

Quote:
3.No driver. haven't installed one.
And that I suspect is the problem. Or maybe you had previously installed a driver for this old interface on this Mac, forgotten about it and done multiple macOS upgrades, leaving the old crappy driver still there. ???? Or maybe you used the system migration assistant (assassin) to migrate apps and drivers to the Mac... which could have brought across a crappy driver. You should not be doing either, and if you have you should think about doing a full clean macOS install so you have a known clean system. Do that install on a new drive or spare space for a new APFS container don't trash your working partition.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 11-19-2021 at 09:58 AM.