Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9

Old 01-16-2014, 10:13 PM

Default OS held off interrupts for too long?

"The operating system held off interrupts for too long" and gave me error 6086, suggesting that I increase my buffer size in order to continue bouncing a newly recorded song (tried both as wav and mp3 file). I increased buffer size to level 4 but got the same message. Cache was large. Using pro tools 9.0.4 on my Digi002 with delay compensation. Took off the delay but still stymied. Any help appreciated.
Old 01-17-2014, 10:53 AM

Default Re: OS held off interrupts for too long?

Tough to help with almost zero details on your computer.
Help us Help You - READ THIS Before Posting!

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 01-17-2014, 11:52 AM

My apologiies. It's been awhile since I've used this equipment and forum. I have a Mac computer with OSX10 snow leopard op system, 500 gig external hard drive and use Digi 002 interface. Using Protools 9.0.4 and I usually bounce songs after recording them to Itunes.
I haven't recorded much in Pro tools 9 and was told my external hard drive had to be reformatted before using it this time so I was going to save the file to the internal hard drive. Not sure whether the created file is too large for the place I'm trying to store it or whether using delay compensation might have caused the problem.
Old 01-17-2014, 06:42 PM

Running sessions from their own separate(and approved) hard drive is among the absolute top 3 or 4 system requirements. For Mac Pro users(you never mention WHICH Mac you have) you could easily add another internal hard drive. For other Mac's either a FW drive(the drive case must use an Oxford chipset) or a Thunderbolt drive(if your Mac has the TB port). IN all cases, the recording drive needs to be 7200 rpm(or SSD) and avoid any "green" drive.

Old 01-18-2014, 08:28 AM

Still can't solve the problem with interrupts, whatever they are. My Digi002 is connected to the Mac Pro with firewire and has worked in the past, but so long ago I don't know what I might have done differently. I went back to the external hard drive to hold the file which has plenty of room. Where should the buffer be set (1 to 4)? it says expand the buffer or remove some plugins but I'm only using two plugins on a 5 track song which can't be too much.
It's pretty frustrating to feel this helpless and ignorant after six years of working with this software. One pro friend says he hates this version and avoids it. I haven't used different versions enough to know the difference. Thanks for your patience with a musician trying his best.
Old 01-18-2014, 08:35 AM

2.16 Ghz Core 2 Duo Processor with 3 Gig internal memory should be fast enough?
Old 01-18-2014, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wfenlon View Post
2.16 Ghz Core 2 Duo Processor with 3 Gig internal memory should be fast enough?
I'm no Mac expert, but I think this computer is too slow and needs more RAM. Besides, I was not aware that there ever was a Mac Pro with a core 2 duo cpu. Each new "level" of Pro Tools(6 to 7, 7 to 8, 8 to 9, etc), requires more "horsepower" to handle the increased features and capabilities. The system you describe seems like it is much better suited to LE7 or 8, but please take my opinions with a grain of salt. Hopefully, some Mac users will jump in on this. Meanwhile, review all the required system tweaks(the lower the computer spec, the more important these are). An external hard drive with "plenty of room" is worthless if its not fast enough, or uses the wrong connection(IIRC, Macs are not approved for USB drives at all for recording).

Old 01-19-2014, 09:44 AM

This is an imac computer and speed may be an issue but obviously I'd rather not replace the computer unless necessary. I've added ram once. I'll check to see if there is any more room to increase it. Booted up this morning and now my plugins "cannot be found" and have been made inactive. Removing them was one suggestion to solve the problem but didn't. It still won't bounce to disk.
I've recorded before successfully but maybe this longer song with more tracks exceeds the limit. I really appreciate your suggestions and hate to admit defeat, but I feel like an infant trying to drive a Ferrari.
Old 01-19-2014, 01:38 PM

Come on Mac users, jump in here and help On another note, can you test the 002 on any other system, and are you aware of the old "power harness" issue?? Not to say that's the problem here, but its something you should be aware of before too much tail chasing

Old 01-19-2014, 02:12 PM

Thanks, my name is Whatley, if anyone else is out there that has an idea. I am surprised that we're not even sure from the error message whether it is a software issue. The digi002 seems to work though I don't remember about a harness issue? It kinda seems like a speed or storage issue? Do I even want to learn about interrupts? Sounds like whatever it is, it makes the system run too slow.