Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-29-2011, 02:59 PM

Default OS X Lion, PT9, MIDI System, mbox 2 mini...

Hey everybody.

I'm a student mainly, but on weekends I'm also working as performing musician, sound engineer and DJ.

About two months ago I updated to OS X lion and installed PT 9.0.5. That worked fine for me, and I don't wanna update to PT 10 yet, because I'm still using PT9 for college & in the studios I'm working in.
However. Two weeks ago I had to record / produce a small radio spot, and because I couldn't do it in a studio, I took my "old" mbox 2 mini (normally I use a RME Fireface 800, which works fine. But the mbox is handier for just one mic..) and a mic to get that job done. I didn't use that mbox for a while - at least not since updating to lion. So I installed the drivers for it. All of that worked perfectly.

But on the weekend after I had a gig as DJ. I use Serato's Scratch Live for DJing.
I arrived at the venue, people were waiting to get in... I tried to launch serato. It always freezed when I plugged in the interface. After trying EVERYTHING to fix that (repairing permissions, reinstalling serato + drivers, 23871 reboots, different usb ports/cables/etcetc), I transferred all my mp3's (yes, everybody uses mp3's to DJ, and YOU won't hear it ) to a friend's notebook and worked with that one. The club had to open late, it was a real drag, but however... I blamed it on Serato.
The day after I found out that Scratch Live actually was working fine. It would just freeze for about 5 minutes after connecting the interface.

BUT a couple of days later I had to write some music for college. I tried to open Sibelius (which always worked fine before). It took about 5 minutes to launch and then told me that there was an error in launching the "OS X MIDI System" or sim.
But after that, it worked fine.

I went online and asked google. But apparently nobody else had the same problem. However - I had a feeling that this could have something to do with the freshly installed drivers for the Mbox.

I assumed that the problem was the MIDI driver. I went to MacHd / Library / Audio / MIDI Drivers and deleted the file "DigiDioMidiDriver.plugin". After that, everything worked fine again... Serato AND Sibelius.

So apparently the drivers for the Mbox2 mini aren't lion ready?! What the hell is going on here?

And dear AVID: The firmware updater for the Mbox2 is a PowerPC app. Not compatible with lion. grrr...

I'm just posting here to make other users experiencing similar problems aware of one possible reason.

Comments/Additions/Experiences anyone? :)

my system:
MBP 15'' late '08, 2.8 GHz Intel core 2, 4gb RAM, 10.7.2

Here's the link to the help request I wrote in the Serato Forums... They're curios too. :): http://serato.com/forum/discussion/566181#new

I hope that I'm not annoying you with that whole thing, but I think this could probably be helpful for someone in the future.

Best regards from Switzerland

Jonas
Old 12-02-2011, 10:14 AM

Default Re: OS X Lion, PT9, MIDI System, mbox 2 mini...

Hi had this exact same problem. Also, my Mbox 2 Mini keeps shutting off randomly. The drivers on the site say that it is compatible with PT 9 but now I have PT 10