How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > MIDI

Old 07-29-2008, 11:56 PM

Default Recording Problem with countoff and wait for note

Hey guys ,

I just wanted some help with the following 2 problems :

(1) When I record MIDI using " Wait for note " with the click enabled , I hear the click track with the tempo of the Manual tempo . When recording begins , I then start recording with the Conductor tempo . This is obviously inconvenient as I need to hear the click track at the right tempo . Is this a Pro Tools problem or is there a work-around ???

(2) When I use the "Click countoff" for recording MIDI , it always skips a few notes ( probably the first beat ) . So if I am recording 4 bars and then making a loop , the first beat is always absent . It wasn't even recorded !!! I have resorted to using Quick Punch mode with a pre-roll . But this wont work at the beginning of a track. Am i doing something wrong here ??

PLS HELP

Thanks in advance ,

Jason
Old 07-30-2008, 05:04 AM

(1) I've never noticed this. Are you sure you have the tempo map enabled?

(2) I suggest that you keep the first couple of bars empty for "sync/pre-roll time". I use bar 3 as my song start point, or bar 10 if the client freaks out.

Old 03-15-2009, 11:25 AM

Default Re: Recording Problem with countoff and wait for note

What is Wait for Note, and how do I get out of it? I just got my 003 and I'm fumbling around. When I select "transport online" from the Options pulldown menu, I get a message that says "Pro Tools can not be brought online while in Wait for Note mode. I'm also getting a readout on my 003 when I first open Pro Tools that says "Pro Tools has a dialog on screen". I don't know what I've done or how to get out of it. I'm trying to get back to simply learning how to lay down my first track.
Old 03-16-2009, 12:47 AM

Default Re: Recording Problem with countoff and wait for note

The wait for note button on the transport is just to the left of the metronome button. You can also turn it on and off using f11 (if you have that enabled in the preferences). Look up "wait for note" in the reference guide to learn what it does..

Why are you putting ProTools online? If you are just putting down your first track, then I suspect you don't have things setup in a way that requires protools to be online.. Again, look up "Putting Pro Tools Online" in the reference.. Pardon me if I am underestimating you setup...

Dialog on Screen shows up if a dialog window is open in ProTools, like the preferences window... Are you saying that it shows that message even though no Dialog is open on screen?