Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 02-07-2004, 10:43 AM

Default Avalon 737: Love it or Hate it

This seems to be a topic that is tossed around a lot. Many of us, including myself, are in the market for one special unit that will serve as our primary vocal strip. The most common one that seems to come up is the Avalon 737, as well as the Millenia STT1, among others.

So let's hear it. Bash it or Love it. LEt's hear what you've got to say, and please let us know why you like/dislike it. Be descriptive!

Old 02-07-2004, 07:10 PM

Default Re: Avalon 737: Love it or Hate it

We did a very limited mic pre shoot out a couple of weeks ago. Soundcraft, Tube-tech, a couple of different Summits, tube and solid state Altecs, an ADM and the 737. We thought the 737 was the worst by a long shot. I was very surprised.
Matthew 11:15
Old 02-08-2004, 05:57 AM

I love the 737! I use it on all sorts of things... bass, vox, snare... of course, every preamp has its own sonic signature which may or may not be to your liking. I love the 737's upper EQ, lots of "air". Why don't you try renting one and see how you like it b4 you buy?
Old 02-08-2004, 08:26 PM

I'm in the market to buy a single-channel voice strip any time now. I've already planned on getting a Great River MP-2NV for anything and everything stereo, and as an add-on for sonic variety for vocals, but I'm still wanting to get a single-channel voice box. The Avalon 737 seems to be the one that I've come to like after seeing all the reviews. Unfortunately, I can't really get a hold of one to try out in my area, so I'm just sort of relying on reviews and online forums. Honestly, I think that you really can't go wrong with any gear in this price range, it's all great stuff. It's just that somethings are better than others for particular styles. That said, I'm looking for versatility, but I don't want to sacrifice quality whatsoever.

I'm looking for a unit with an oustanding preamp, compression, and EQ. The preamp has got to be warm, but if the time comes to do Mariah Carey vocals, I may need that sonic quality, too. The compression doesn't need to be amazing, considering that I've got plenty of plugins that I'm very happy with. Just a compressor to prevent any distorted overs. As for an EQ, again, I've got all the plugins I need for major EQ, but a sweet musical EQ is definitly in my mind.

And so, in all your experience with preamps, can you help me decide on a single-channel voice strip? Thanks so much!
Old 02-08-2004, 11:33 PM

Quote:
The Avalon 737 seems to be the one that I've come to like after seeing all the reviews.
So, try one out. Do dealers not ship to Florida?
Old 02-09-2004, 12:29 AM

In my studio I have the ISA110 hooked to PT and some compressors going. I really liked the ISA220->Tubetech Comp (INSERT) for recording it sounds pretty good to me.

At the studio I work we have the Avalon737sp and the SSL4000G+ own strips.

As a digital guy I thought I get what I want from the SSL as I like the ISA. however when we hooked and recorded the same chorus through the Avalon it was fatter , hotter and had better colour on the lows.
At that second it bought me.
Just remember that a pre is a colour.
If I compare it to the TL Audio Ivory series or their "expansive" one still I liked the Avalon better.

It's not a bad tool but I guess their are some better tools out there .
Old 02-09-2004, 04:31 PM

I love my 737...just as a pre and eq it is very useful.....Warm

Regards
Sonik
Old 02-10-2004, 08:18 AM

Quote:

I'm looking for a unit with an oustanding preamp, compression, and EQ. The preamp has got to be warm, but if the time comes to do Mariah Carey vocals, I may need that sonic quality, too.
Well, I do love my Universal Audio 6176, some people call it 'too colored' but IMHO a pre can't be colored enough if you're recording to PT. The 1176 section of the 6176 can be used independently, an extremely useful feature..I guess even people that don't like the idea of an 'all in one' strip must agree that the layout of the 6176 is versatile.

Quote:

IThe compression doesn't need to be amazing, considering that I've got plenty of plugins that I'm very happy with. Just a compressor to prevent any distorted overs. As for an EQ, again, I've got all the plugins I need for major EQ, but a sweet musical EQ is definitly in my mind.
I wouldn't get a 'non-amazing' comp just for the sake of it, that's where the bad reputation of some channel strip comes from. I can't comment on the 737 because I don't own it, but some people indeed complained about the compressor part of the unit.....
As you don't seem to absolutely need compression and EQ, why not just get a dedicated pre. In that regard, I can't praise the Chandler TG-2 high enough, another great choice would be the Brent Averill 312, an API remake that is also killer .
Anyway, if it has to be a strip, I'd highly recommend the 6176, since it is a no-compromise unit and especially great for 'warm' vocals. The EQ section is a nice bonus, adding a tiny bit of 10k is often useful while recording.

Andi

Andi
Old 02-10-2004, 10:03 AM

I recerntly have been given a chance t0o frequently work with a manly

pre comp and EQ , and let me say it is GREAT . MANLEY is big sounding

probably too expensive though but thought I'd give my 2 cents