Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 10-21-2009, 03:49 PM

Default Does Video Sat work with Isis and Interplay?

I have a client running a mac HD3 who would like to buy Isis and Interplay.
They would love to stay PT mac, so I suggested getting an Avid compatible Pc and running video satelite. Does this combo work with Isis and Interplay. It would be great to be able to connect to any avid sequence and not have to push and pull the video with dv downconverts to their mac. Audio would still be push pull, but that works nicely for audio back up purposes and is how I have run unity systems before (unity video, local storage audio).
Any real world feedback would be great

cheers

Mike Aiton BSc (hons)
Audio Consultant, Dubbing Mixer/Sound Designer & Journalist

BAFTA member
IPS member

----------------------------------------------------------------------
www.mikerophonics.com
Old 10-21-2009, 04:16 PM

Default Re: Does Video Sat work with Isis and Interplay?

well, i've used the system at "a well-known broadcaster" - safe to say, it sucks quite hard. dreadful user interface, totally over-complex methodology to retrieve a sequence, and having to have a media composer system just for video playback. Not very impressed.
They are making interplay work with macs, not sure if they have yet, but it's a rubbish system. A total anathema to a mac user. I'd save my money and keep the video people rendering nice quicktimes for us :)
Old 10-22-2009, 03:09 AM

I too had heard about mac compatibility rumors but getting info out of avid uk is not easy

Can you describe how the vid sat open sequence was clunky?

Can a mac connect to a pc running vid sat? I presume so as it is only ethernet?

So you like this system a lot less than unity then?

cheers

Mike Aiton BSc (hons)
Audio Consultant, Dubbing Mixer/Sound Designer & Journalist

BAFTA member
IPS member

----------------------------------------------------------------------
www.mikerophonics.com
Old 10-22-2009, 03:42 AM

Finding the sequence to use was a matter of drilling down into a cavernous message box type system in a very unfriendly management program of the sort you see IT types using but don't really want to touch yourself. Opening this message and clicking on a link made the sequence move locally, then the composer would open it up. I think. It's been a while!
I never really used Unity either, I used to just recieve AAFs from the edit on a shared network drive. Nice and easy.
A PC or mac running PTLE and VidSat with a blackmagic card would surely be cheaper...
Old 10-22-2009, 05:47 AM

PT:Mac and MC:PC as Video Satellite works perfectly, in fact that was the way Video Satellite started out and it is how I run every day. As long as Media Composer and Pro Tools share a common video reference and are located on the same subnet, things will be good.

According to this compatibility page, Interplay requires Pro Tools on XP (not OSX or Vista). This page says PT:Mac is best used as "push/pull", in other words transfer to/from for local use. So, the Mac:Pro Tools rig would have to be standalone just as things are now. There should be full integration of Media Composer into ISIS and Interplay, which should make opening and running sequences for video playback pretty simple. Using Video Satellite will be much, much faster than rendering and copying DV movies. As for audio, it is easy to exchange media and AAF material between Mac and PC using traditional peer-to-peer or hosted networking, a shared network drive, or ISIS "push/pull". BTW, I transfer material between OSX, Vista, and XP all the time, but of course I cannot afford an ISIS rig. OSX is much more restrictive about sharing things freely with Windows (a 3rd party app would make the sharing equal both ways but I'm too cheap), so I usually log into Vista/XP from my Mac on a peer-to-peer network, and "push/pull" to the shared folders.