Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-10-2002, 02:20 AM

Default linking two tracks together simply for stereo.how?

Man i've been allover the manual and couldnt find it ,i am sorry.
I would like to simply after i imported all my 23
tracks to the digi 001 ,to put the srtrings that were recorded on two seperate tracks that is on two seperate channels ofcourse,to be able to link em together.how do you do this in digi 001?
i use samplitude for example,lets say one of the strings is on track 5 and the other is on track 7,simply i can drag and drop track 5 on track 8 and thats it.now theres a butoon on the mixer i can click and link or declick and un link.

so please how is it done on digi 001?sorry for the long post.thanks.
Old 08-10-2002, 02:44 AM

Default Re: linking two tracks together simply for stereo.how?

I am not really sure what you are trying to do.

If you have 2 mono or stereo-tracks that have to be grouped, do this: select them by clicking on the name of the channel, while holding down the shift-key, so both channel-names turn white.
Then hit CTRL-G (group selected tracks). You will be asked for a name of the group, and some other stuff. That's it

If you have 2 mono-tracks, and you want them to act as one stereo-track, do this:

create a stereo-channel CTRL-SHIFT-N (1, stereo, audio-track).

Switch to the edit-window.
set the edit-mode to slip (top-left in the edit-window)
With the i-beam, tripple-click on the first track (to become the left-channel), and then hold the shift-key, and triple-click on the second, so they both become selected.
Choose the grabber
While holding down the windows-key, drag them to the stereo-track. All the regions now will be moved to the stereo-track. If you want to duplicate them insteda of moving, hold down the alt-key as well while draging the tracks to the stereo-track.

Hope this helps

Bastiaan
Old 08-10-2002, 02:48 AM

Solo the two tracks

Pan one track hard left and the other one hard right.

Bounce to disc.

Bounce type:split stereo

check 'Import into session after bounce'

This should do the trick.

Good luck,Jef.
Old 08-10-2002, 02:56 AM

the method i described will keep all the different regions intact, and you will not have to let the song play to do the bounce. Also my method will not take up extra space on your harddisk. The problem with my method is that you need to be able to create that stereo-track. If you are out of tracks, then you cant do it (easily...)

You would need to create another session, import the 2 tracks, create the stereo-track, drag the regions in that track, save the session, open your old session, delete the 2 mono-tracks, and do a import track from that other session....

Bastiaan
Old 08-10-2002, 03:44 AM

That's a neat trick Bastiaan.I'm learning everyday.What is the purpose of holding down the windows-key?I couldn't find anything in the manual.

Jef.
Old 08-10-2002, 05:54 AM

The window key will prevent horizontal movement. So the tracks stay exactly in time. You can also right-click and drag, its the same thing.

Bastiaan
Old 08-10-2002, 06:00 AM

thanks for the fast replies.i have yet to try it.but i will after this posting.
but i couldnt help it to reply when it was asked what is the purpose of my linking or grouping.
ok,2 tracks that are recorded mono or stereo,for example,piano,pads,strings these are recorded all two tracks each.while mixing and monitoring i need piano tracks next to eachother the same for the strings and pads.so i can have the freedom and the ease of linking,unlinking,soloing,unsoloing,paning,unpanin g etc.imagine if i have piano L on channel 5 and piano R on channel 15 that would be a mess for mixing and the same goes for the others.
Old 08-10-2002, 06:34 AM

OK,i did it and it worked thanks.
but now theres only one fader for the stereo channels.what if i want to lower or raise one of the stereo channel's volume either the L or R individualy?well in the other multitrack its very simple you have your individual channels but they are linked as stereo as simple as that.if you want to lower one of the channels seperately,you click on the link button to unlink and adjust and reclick to link,just like that.so,lets see this not what i was expecting.any ideas ?
Old 08-10-2002, 06:40 AM

for the piano, if the tracks are mono, combine them 2 in a stereo-track, and after you did that, and moved the plugins over (stop playback, and drag them on the new track), and copied the automstion over, you can delete the old mono-tracks. If they are two stereo-tracks, then you obviously cant combine them like that. So then you have to use sub-groups. Set the output-assignment of each channel to a bus, (lets say 1&2), create a stereo-aux-channel, and set the input-assignment of that aux-channel to bus 1&2 stereo. Now you can slap your plugins on the aux-channel if you want them all to be affected by it.

You can move channels around in your mixer. Just click on the name, and hold it, wait 3 seconds and drag the fader to the position you want. You see a blinking line or something on the place your fader will appear. Let the button go, and voila, you moved your channel. And everything for that channel is moved along, so including all the plugs, automation etc.

If you are going to use the aux-channel thingy, it is a nice combination with a group. Just put all the "members" of the subgroup in a group. This way you will still have all the audio the way it was when you recorded it, and so you have great flexibility.

Bastiaan
Old 08-10-2002, 06:49 AM

the "linking" you are referring to is called "grouping" in ptle, wich will work perfectly fine. If you want to adjust the levels of the left- and right channels independently, you can put a tiny plugin on the channel. choose multi-mono trim, it is exactly what you are looking for. If you want the twoiders to be on the same "page" you could try a multi-channel short delay. Make sure you set the mix-sliders both to 0%, otherwise you will get the delay working.

Bastiaan