Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-29-2013, 12:59 PM

Default just installed pro tools cant hear anything

just to start off, i know ABSOLUTELY NOTHING about any recording software AT ALL. i bought protools 9 that came with this mbox mini. so after forever and a half i figure out how to record my guitar. i had it plugged directly into the box. it shows its recording. but i dont hear anything. and then when i go to play it back, its shows its playing it, but i hear nothing. yes my speakers are on. yes ive pressed every button and turned every dumb little knob up on this box. i literally opened the program up, did exactly as my little book tells me. nothing more. nothing less, so i dont feel anything was messed with that shouldnt have been, so why cant i hear anything. i installed the software and the driver to use the mbox. i need help
Old 01-29-2013, 01:56 PM

Default Re: just installed pro tools cant hear anything

Quote:
Originally Posted by derek_warcraft View Post
just to start off, i know ABSOLUTELY NOTHING about any recording software AT ALL. i bought protools 9 that came with this mbox mini. so after forever and a half i figure out how to record my guitar. i had it plugged directly into the box. it shows its recording. but i dont hear anything. and then when i go to play it back, its shows its playing it, but i hear nothing. yes my speakers are on. yes ive pressed every button and turned every dumb little knob up on this box. i literally opened the program up, did exactly as my little book tells me. nothing more. nothing less, so i dont feel anything was messed with that shouldnt have been, so why cant i hear anything. i installed the software and the driver to use the mbox. i need help

Try Launching Pro Tools with the N Key held down and choose the MBox Mini when it stops at the hardware screen.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 01-29-2013, 02:12 PM

holding the N key didnt do anything at all. it just loaded to the same old screen
Old 01-29-2013, 02:20 PM

like im expecting sound from my computer speakers. is that not going to happen? do i have to go out and buy some [bleep][bleep][bleep][bleep]ing $300 dollar headphones to plug into this mbox to hear what im doin?
Old 01-29-2013, 02:30 PM

Gonna need a lot more info.

Help us Help you

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 01-29-2013, 02:41 PM

I HAVE A NORMAL [bleep][bleep][bleep][bleep]ING COMPUTER THAT I DOWNLOADED THIS DUMB [bleep][bleep][bleep][bleep] ONTO DOWNLOADED THE DRIVER FOR THE MBOX AND THAT IS ALL go grab a computer off the shelf, and thats what i have. i have nothing fancy. nothin extra blahblah. this is my first time doing any of this. ive been messing with this [bleep][bleep][bleep][bleep] for [bleep][bleep][bleep][bleep]ing 7 hours now and not only have i gotten NOTHING ACCOMPLISHED, but only 1 person has even managed to TRY and help. we can put people on the [bleep][bleep][bleep][bleep]ing moon, and rovers on mars, but apparently this stupid [bleep][bleep][bleep][bleep]ing company cant make recording software that is even remotely user friendly. i SHOULD NOT have to be a [bleep][bleep][bleep][bleep]ing rocket scientist to sit down, record a riff, and change some tones, and i certainly shouldnt have had to pay 600 [bleep][bleep][bleep][bleep]ing dollars for such a stupid piece of [bleep][bleep][bleep][bleep]. usually wen you pay good money for something its for a reason. i have found no reason, only problems and a regret that i gave money to such [bleep][bleep][bleep][bleep]ty company
Old 01-29-2013, 04:55 PM

Where are your speakers plugged in to? The sound won't come out of your speakers that are connected to your computer. The speakers/monitors should be plugged into the interface, you can also use headphones.

If your monitors/phones are plugged into the interface and you cannot hear anything on playback, and the tracks are set to MAIN OUT, then you probably just need to default the IO. If you used a template, for some reason they are setup wrong many times and you need to default the IO.

Default the IO - video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Rjk5qVFEE8

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 01-30-2013, 07:59 AM

Also, if you could hear it when it was recorded, but not on playback, make sure you click the record-arm button to stop it from blinking red, or else you won't hear it on playback.

We all understand how frustrating it can be when you can't get your software to work. We are here to assist you. Please don't take your frustration out on those of us assisting you pro bono.

HP Pavilion P6000, AMD Athlon II X2 240 (2.8GHz), FOXCONN 2AB1 MoBo, 16GB DDR3, NVIDIA GeForce 8400GS, Two WD Caviar Black Internal500 gig, One WD External 300 Gig, Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit, SD2, Metal Foundry, Focusrite Saffire 6, PT 9.03 (stable), Gibson Les Paul Studio (Drop D), Fender Tele (nashville tuning), hand built Carvin Bolt (finished!)
Old 01-30-2013, 08:16 AM

To the OP.

Have you tried using ALT+K to switch monitoring modes?

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

Old 01-30-2013, 08:38 AM

Maybe stop acting like a 4 year old?
Just a suggestion.