How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-15-2012, 02:33 AM

Default Windows 7 Background services

Hi everyone,

I'm on a bit of a optimization mission at the moment trying to get Pro Tools as stable as possible. It still seems a bit sluggish at times.

First I wanted to ask if anybody knows how useful the following background services are and if I should keep them running;

- Intel(R) Rapid Storage Technology
- Intel(R) Intergrated Clock Controller Service - Intel (R) ICCS
- InstallDriver Table Manager
- Intel(R) ProSet Monitoring Services

Startup

- Delayed Launcher (Intel Corporation)
- Windows 7 DDK Provider

I've also disabled all of the 'C state' options in BIOS but have left turbo core enabled because for some reason I lose my overclock settings. I've been monitoring the core speed of my processor and it's sat at 4.4Ghz it does fluciate slightly but only around 5 or 6 mhz.

Thanks in advance for any responses
Old 08-31-2014, 04:22 AM

Default Re: Windows 7 Background services

Hey there. I have just been on a mission to source and destroy the cause of distortion in Protools 8/11 audio output when not in low latency mode, and after 3 weeks work, I have determined conclusively (at least in my instance) that the Intel Rapid Storage Technology user interface was the cause of all my grief!

I am running raid 10 disk, and this is the UI for monitoring disk status, and Protools clearly hates it. If I uninstall that software, the distortion that has been ruining my life is gone.

I am unsure whether your service is running as a consequence of having that software running, or whether it is just running in the background to manage the disks. Only you would know that...

In any case, I think that one can see the raid drive status on bootup, and I can live with having to look at that instead of the UI, if Protools will behave without it!!!
Old 08-31-2014, 07:34 AM

Default Re: Windows 7 Background services

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caatalyst View Post
Hi everyone,

I'm on a bit of a optimization mission at the moment trying to get Pro Tools as stable as possible. It still seems a bit sluggish at times.

First I wanted to ask if anybody knows how useful the following background services are and if I should keep them running;

- Intel(R) Rapid Storage Technology
- Intel(R) Intergrated Clock Controller Service - Intel (R) ICCS
- InstallDriver Table Manager
- Intel(R) ProSet Monitoring Services

Startup

- Delayed Launcher (Intel Corporation)
- Windows 7 DDK Provider

I've also disabled all of the 'C state' options in BIOS but have left turbo core enabled because for some reason I lose my overclock settings. I've been monitoring the core speed of my processor and it's sat at 4.4Ghz it does fluciate slightly but only around 5 or 6 mhz.

Thanks in advance for any responses
You are Oc'ing the 3820 to 4.4 w Turbo fluctuations to 5.0?? 5 MHz fluctuations are also not small. I would be worried about the machine catching on fire!!! You really need to look at your temps. You could be seeing sluggishness in PT because your temps are rising past a safe point. I could see this processor functioning normally w proper cooling at 4 to 4.2 ghz somewhere and keep turbo off.

Otherwise you can kill both startup options, rapid storage and Pro set. Google the others and see if they are necessary.

pro-tools-pc.com

TRASHER Pro Tools Utility(updated 4-11-2024)

HD Native, Avid 16x16, Eleven Rack, Focusrite Clarett 8preX, UA Quad Apollo TB.

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10