Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 07-15-2002, 06:29 AM

Default What do i import a "dual mono" audio file as??? mono or split stereo?

i have questions about this.....

it's a very nice dual mono sample that travels from left to right. a big analog synth piece.

1. import as mono or stereo?

and

2. where do i pan it in the mix?

3. any additional comments on your experience with this.......

[img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-15-2002, 07:07 AM

Default Re: What do i import a "dual mono" audio file as??? mono or split stereo?

Name the 2 samplefiles something like "sample.L" and Sample.R". Now protools will recocgnize them as a "split-stereo" and load it on a stereo-track, and treat it as stereo. If you leave all the panning knobs alone on a stereo-track, everything is panned hard left/right. If you decide to load them on 2 seperate mono-tracks, you should pan each channel accordingly, as a mono-channel defaults in the middle...

Bastiaan
Old 07-15-2002, 08:04 AM

Default Re: What do i import a "dual mono" audio file as??? mono or split stereo?

Quote:
Originally posted by peter parker:
...it's a very nice dual mono sample that travels from left to right.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I'm a bit confused here...

"Dual Mono" = two tracks that are identical (ie. 2 x mono)

"Sample That Travels From Left To Right" = Stereo

That being the case, import as stereo - if you want to preserve the left to right motion.

Or as Bastiaan assumed, does the stereo sample exist as two separate files, (ie.Left and Right)? In which case, follow his good instructions.

Phil
Old 07-16-2002, 01:46 AM

i think i understand.

here is a better explaination.

the "dual mono" synth tracks have one sound on the right side, and a slightly different sound on the left side. and the sound travels back and forth , right to left.....when played together.

so i will import the right side as a mono track, and pan mid right.
and the left side as another mono track and pan mid left.
this way i am actually recreating the stereo effect that happens when these dual mono tracks are combined.
this is a good way to do it right?

* can one have a whole song of nothing but carefully panned mono tracks?? doubled where needed, etc....
i can actually create stronger sounding stereo tracks this way, right? [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-16-2002, 03:56 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by peter parker:

the "dual mono" synth tracks have one sound on the right side, and a slightly different sound on the left side. and the sound travels back and forth , right to left.....when played together.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Ah, I see now. It's two separate files that form the left and right constitutes of stereo.

Quote:

so i will import the right side as a mono track, and pan mid right.
and the left side as another mono track and pan mid left.
this way i am actually recreating the stereo effect that happens when these dual mono tracks are combined.
this is a good way to do it right?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Yes, that's correct. However, you should pan *far* right and *far* left - not *mid* right and *mid* left - otherwise you'll be collapsing their stereo width (unless I misunderstood what you meant by 'mid').

Mind you, doing it this way (ie. across two tracks) is clumsy when it comes to editing and effects placement. The better way is as Bastiaan pointed out:

"Name the 2 samplefiles something like "sample.L" and Sample.R". Now protools will recocgnize them as a "split-stereo" and load it on a stereo-track, and treat it as stereo."

This way, you can edit, arrange, and process the two files in Pro Tools as if they're a single entity.

Quote:

Can one have a whole song of nothing but carefully panned mono tracks?? doubled where needed, etc....
i can actually create stronger sounding stereo tracks this way, right?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Of course! Just about every instrument, including your voice, is mono in essence. It's the panning and stereo effects, including natural ambience, that gives it a stereo image. All this can be performed within Pro Tools.

Except in cases where a synth might use separate layers panned opposite from each other that I want to preserve, I record all my synths and electronic percussion in mono. Why waste two tracks when one will do perfectly? Particularly as we only have 24* of the darn things!

Phil

*24 tracks to be increased to 32 tracks by July 31st 2002 as per Digidesign's announcement. (Fingers' crossed) [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
Old 07-16-2002, 04:46 AM

thanks!! i feel smarter.

to further ellaborate on stereo files.......

you said to treat them like stereo files.......how exactly do i treat stereo files? i dont have muc experience with them.

is it true that if you have 2 stereo tracks panned dead center the sound is weakened or masked? where with mono you can have limitless on top of eachother and it won't weaken the sound.

so how should i pan stereo tracks? i will probably have 2 - 3 stereo tracks among the rest of the mono tracks. (basically for the electronic trancey synth lines) like this synth track for instance? if i do it as split stereo, where should it be panned to get the R to L traveling effects to shine... if i pan it anything other than dead center one of the sides will be louder right?

so i guess the old mono method would be better......like i mentioned earlier. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-17-2002, 12:28 AM

Stereo tracks are just two mono tracks put together. THere is absolutely no difference between two mono tracks and one stereo track.
Stero IS two mono tracks.
When you make a stereo track ..it is just two mono tracks attached to one fader.

IF you want the two mono tracks to be true stereo, Hard pan them. When you make a stereo track, it defaults to hard panning.

It is very simple. No need to wig out.
Old 07-17-2002, 03:13 AM

i can make 420 pipes out of apples.
Old 07-17-2002, 04:02 AM

Quote:
posted July 17, 2002 03:13 AM *** ** * * * * **
------------------------------------------------------------------------
i can make 420 pipes out of apples.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Do you have a diagram to prove this? [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]