Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-20-2012, 09:52 PM

Default Record Vienna Symphony instrument in Pro Tools 10

I just got Vienna Symphonic Library Special Edition a few days ago to add the quality orchestral instruments to some of my music.

When I first installed it, I battled a few problems between pro tools and VSL communications. After a while, it randomly started working.

Now, I'm trying to record the vienna audio onto pro tools tracks. But I hit a wall, and I'm not sure if I'm missing something simple or if there is another bug between the two programs communication.

I have an instrument track with the vienna ensemble RTAS plugin. I recorded the midi onto the instrument track, and if i play it back with my output set to my main monitors, i can hear it fine. Now I went to route the audio into an audio track, so I could record it.

I have the output of my instrument track set to a bus, and then the input of my new audio track set to that bus, with the output set to my monitors.

For some reason though, as soon as i change the output of the instrument track to a bus, I lose all the audio. I brought up the bus and it seems to be making it to the bus, but it won't go to the audio channel.

I did this very same procedure with Reason to record Reason instruments, and it worked fine.

Does anyone know if there is a problem preventing you from recording Vienna Symphony instruments?

Thanks.
Old 04-21-2012, 12:42 AM

Default Re: Record Vienna Symphony instrument in Pro Tools 10

rscafidi, For VSL make sure the audio (or the master track) in VSL has an output channel number to match an audio input channel in PT's. Bussing your inst. track in PT's just takes the midi signal away from VSL. It can be a trick to figure out at 1st,, and I'm still on PT's 9, but sure it will work on 10!! Good luck,,,,, Mike
Intel Core i7 4790K 4.0GHz | Asus Z97-Pro LGA 1150 Intel 6Gb | Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB DDR3 2400 | Asus GT640 Silent 2 GB GDDR3 | Samsung 850 Pro SSD's, WD Caviar Black HDD's | PSU Corsair 750W ATX12V | Windows 10 | Presonus Studio One | 003R PT's 12.8 | Waves Platinum | Ivory/Piano | Berlin Woodwinds, Nocturne Solo Violin | SPITFIRE Solo Strings | EastWest Hollywood Strings, Brass, Pro Drummer, and Stormdrum 2 | VSL | Vienna Ensemble Pro | M-Audio Code 61, FaderPort 8 |
Old 04-21-2012, 01:05 AM

Thanks! That did the trick..

I knew it had to be something simple like that. Thank you very much for your help.

One more question that maybe you know the answer to...

When I open the Vienna Ensemble plugin in protools, the window says its running in 32bit. Is there a reason? Is it possible to get the 64bit link with pro tools instead of the 32? I know if I run Vienna Ensemble alone, I can run the 64bit version.

thanks again.

Last edited by rscafidi; 04-21-2012 at 01:28 AM. Reason: additional question
Old 04-21-2012, 10:27 AM

you can also instead of bussing the whole instrument track, just use a send on the instrument track and send the audio to a another track to record. That way the midi still works.

Pro tools is not 64 bit yet, its 32 bit. So thats why its VE is running in 32 bit inside pro tools. Pro tools 11 is rumored to be 64 bit.

Chris

http://soundcloud.com/regenerationmix

http://twitter.com/regenerationmix

MacBook Pro, 2.4GHZ, 16GB, Intel Core i7, Mac OS 10.9.1 128 SSD internal HD, 750 GB Internal HD, Pro Tools 10.3.8, Digidesign 003r, Waves 8.0, Final Cut Pro 7
Old 04-22-2012, 01:23 PM

Chris,

Thanks for the info. That makes sense if pro tools is not 64bit. bummer!
Thanks for your help.
Old 04-22-2012, 08:40 PM

VE Pro can run in 64 bit mode. It has nothing to do with Pro Tools only being 32 bit. Just launch the 64 bit version of VE Pro and stream it into P Tools.