Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-05-2011, 12:35 PM

Default New 11R units

Does anyone know if new 11R units are being shipped with firmware v2 installed?

I ask this because the downloadable 11R PDF manual (v9.0.x) from Avid.com lists all the new ERXP amps/cabs/fx (ie, firmware v2) seemingly as standard, with no mention of the ERXP.

It gives the impression that the 11R comes with v2 functionality straight out of the box...
Old 08-05-2011, 01:38 PM

Default Re: New 11R units

I just downloaded and looked through the manual. That is kind of interesting. I also couldn't find anything about firmware updates in general.
Old 08-05-2011, 03:30 PM

I take this as likely a sign of things about to change with the expansion pack being included as standard. That ultimately makes sense since Avid probably does not want to be supporting multiple firmware bases moving forwards (especially if the goal is to come out with the next Expansion pack...).

The Chapter 1 Introduction also contains slight different wording about requirements for running with Pro Tools.

v. 8 User Guide says:
To use Eleven Rack with Pro Tools, you need.... A qualified Mac or Windows computer (when using Eleven Rack with Pro Tools LE)

v. 9 User Guide says:
A qualified Mac or Windows computer running Pro Tools 8.0.1 or higher (when using Eleven Rack as a Pro Tools interface)

So while a pretty subtle change, the inclusion of calling out the need for Pro Tools software I take as a likely sign that (as is inevitable anyhow that) an Eleven Rack SKU will be announced that unbundles Pro Tools from the Eleven Rack. And (just like the Mbox etc.) I'd assume that Avid will have SKUs that also include Pro Tools 9 and those that include no Pro Tools software.

With (at least in my mind) the Eleven Rack being challenged from below by the POD HD series I'd hope Avid uses this all as an opportunity to both improve baseline selling features and lower the street price of the unbundled products to compete well there. At the high end (to improve competition vs. the Fractal Axe-Fx) I hope they crank out another expansion pack. Sure would be nice as well to see a good foot controller integration story with bi-directional communications etc. That would help in competing against both these other leading products (and personally I'd love an integration story that was _not_ based around some cheap plastic controller).

Darryl
Old 08-05-2011, 03:53 PM

got mine a week or so ago, and didnt have 2.0 installed
Old 08-05-2011, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
I take this as likely a sign of things about to change with the expansion pack being included as standard. That ultimately makes sense since Avid probably does not want to be supporting multiple firmware bases moving forwards (especially if the goal is to come out with the next Expansion pack...).

With (at least in my mind) the Eleven Rack being challenged from below by the POD HD series I'd hope Avid uses this all as an opportunity to both improve baseline selling features and lower the street price of the unbundled products to compete well there. At the high end (to improve competition vs. the Fractal Axe-Fx) I hope they crank out another expansion pack. Sure would be nice as well to see a good foot controller integration story with bi-directional communications etc. That would help in competing against both these other leading products (and personally I'd love an integration story that was _not_ based around some cheap plastic controller).

Darryl
It's a subtle shift but a shift nonetheless. As I see it eventually the ERXP is going to be needed to be sold with the unit as part of the included software and or pre-installed. It has to really so it doesn't fall too far behind the HD units, in terms of features.

But I don't think there will be a price drop imminent for one simple reason, going forward Avid are going to have to bite the bullet and include PT9. The LE series is dead and buried now. And the big-wigs at Avid will not be very happy about that at all.

And if Hiro, theChimp and Chris T, were given a free reign like a certain other person at another company that shall remain nameless the, 11R would probably be a different beast by now .

Schecter Hellraiser 7 Diamond - Ibanez RG7620
Eleven Rack w/ ERXP
Old 08-05-2011, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vercingetorix View Post
It's a subtle shift but a shift nonetheless. As I see it eventually the ERXP is going to be needed to be sold with the unit as part of the included software and or pre-installed. It has to really so it doesn't fall too far behind the HD units, in terms of features.

But I don't think there will be a price drop imminent for one simple reason, going forward Avid are going to have to bite the bullet and include PT9. The LE series is dead and buried now. And the big-wigs at Avid will not be very happy about that at all.

And if Hiro, theChimp and Chris T, were given a free reign like a certain other person at another company that shall remain nameless the, 11R would probably be a different beast by now .
I expect they have to do both bundles with and without Pro Tools 9. Continuing to bundle with Pro Tools 8 which is already past its sell by date makes no sense (except it has given Avid a chance to sell those customers Pro Tools 9 updates, and that's fine for a while). A bundle without Pro Tools gives them an opportunity to be a bit more price competitive with Line 6. I'm almost to the point where I'd buy another Eleven Rack (to put in a different room @ home and I don't need yet another Pro Tools license).

The Chimp et al. have been pretty quiet here recently. I hope they are working on another expansion pack. I have my credit card ready...

Darryl
Old 08-05-2011, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
The Chimp et al. have been pretty quiet here recently. I hope they are working on another expansion pack. I have my credit card ready...
Darryl
I feel the same way they have been very quiet lately. At first I had suspected they had got their hand on an AxeFX pulled the thing apart but that would've been months ago.

I suspect we might see and/or Avid will 'accidently' let something slip soon .

At least I hope so.

Schecter Hellraiser 7 Diamond - Ibanez RG7620
Eleven Rack w/ ERXP
Old 08-08-2011, 02:24 PM

Interesting thoughts. I couldn't care less about what the new users are going to get because I'm not a new user now. :) But a new EXRP or even some kind of updated firmware addressing some of the ideascale stuff would be most welcome.

I do wonder if they have plans to come out with a new box all together at some point though. Not that there is anything really wrong with this one, but let's face facts and realize that this has been out for a few years now. I don't know of a lot of companies that believe in waiting to be passed up before they make a move towards a new product line. I'm pretty sure that I'd be dissappointed though because I'd rather have more features on what I've got rather than have to start from square one again...it's a double edge sword I suppose.
Old 08-08-2011, 02:28 PM

This whole issue of 8 and not 9 most likely stems from them ordering waaaaay to many and not being in tune with the pro tools dev and planning team and not knowing when 9 was coming out.

Me guessing that once all old ones are sold a new production run will go out and 9 will be in it.
Old 08-09-2011, 12:40 PM

To follow up on my original question, I've got in touch with some retailers...

One thing I was told was that the v2 firmware will be introduced to the 11R by the end of October, but will have a significant price hike.

Will that will be a 11R / PT9 pack?

Will there be a standalone 11R-only pack at a lower price than it is now?

I'm looking to change my live guitar setup - 11R is one option for me, but I don't need PT..!