Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > MIDI

Old 05-22-2010, 09:00 AM

Default drumset through midi

Hello, i have recently graduated from my vocational school where i learned audio engineering on pro tools. I am in the market for an mbox 2, but i noticed its lack of elasticity because of it only having two channels for input to record xlr or line. this makes drum recording seem like a terrible thing.is it possible to send twelve tracks via midi to the mbox 2 and have each one be usable as a track in pro tools? much like using the adat on a 002? how would i go about doing so also
Old 05-22-2010, 09:36 PM

Default Re: drumset through midi

Put two mikes out as overheads, record triggers to MIDI tracks on all your drums (hook up whatever MIDI interface needed). Playback with the proper samples playing on the MIDI tracks.

Why are you comparing ADAT to MIDI??? What school did you say you went to???
Old 05-22-2010, 10:11 PM

As said, All the Mboxes are really NOT suited to drum recording. Using a midi kit makes a lot of sense. Using all midi and then triggering ezdrummer(or similar) makes it easy, and offers tremendous editing possibilities. Using 2 mics works(with midi for all the "shell" sounds) can sound good, but doesn't offer the same editing. My favorite setup is my Roland TD10 kit with real cymbals and 3-4 mics, but 2 could do it as long as they are placed properly(assuming decent mics and room acoustics). Going all midi takes the room sound out of the picture entirely(which might be a blessing).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 05-24-2010, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ondruspat View Post
Put two mikes out as overheads, record triggers to MIDI tracks on all your drums (hook up whatever MIDI interface needed). Playback with the proper samples playing on the MIDI tracks.

Why are you comparing ADAT to MIDI??? What school did you say you went to???
well, i really dont want to sound like a dick, but if you read my post youd think differently. ii wasnt comparing adat to midi, i was asking if you could use midi to send tracks as you can with adat. Thats actually what my whole question was... if you want to add on to this itd be helpfull though, i could always use the help
Old 05-24-2010, 12:01 PM

You can send multiple MIDI signals through a MIDI interface. And you would still need triggers, etc.

Didn't really want to sound like a dick (I've been told I can be one at times...), but MIDI and ADAT are two totally different animals....
Old 05-24-2010, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ondruspat View Post
You can send multiple MIDI signals through a MIDI interface. And you would still need triggers, etc.

Didn't really want to sound like a dick (I've been told I can be one at times...), but MIDI and ADAT are two totally different animals....
Thank you for the reply ondruspat, that did help. I hadnt covered midi yet and had no idea how it worked. my final idea is to get a mixer board and run the main outs into my inputs on my mbox 2. any ideas on a mixer that is good to use for drums only? prefably under 500