Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-13-2009, 12:25 PM

Default Transit USB on Vista SUCKS!!! FIX IT!!

I'm sure you've heard this before but the Transit driver for Vista really sucks. I understand it just became usable last month with a new version released but it's still pretty damn bad.

1. It doesn't work with Vista sound mapper or whatever it's called. That means I can't use it for other laptop sound card uses like iTunes, watching DVD's gaming etc....

2. I can't use it with CD Architect for this reason. Which is something I use every day.

3. You have to exit Pro Tools to change sample rates from 48k to 96k and back. REALLY ANNOYING.

4. When you do change sample rates (which is totally non-intuitive and confusing by the way) you get clicks and pops in your monitors/phones. = crappy.

EDIT: 5: You also get loud clicks and pops in your monitors/phones when opening sessions sometimes.....sigh.....

I love the Profire 2626 and I'm glad to be able to use Pro Tools with a small interface like this but overall this product is really weak. Do we have to wait for Windows 7 to get a decent driver?

Old 04-13-2009, 01:48 PM
Avid

Default Re: Transit USB on Vista SUCKS!!! FIX IT!!

Have you checked out the M-Audio forums to see if they might have any solutions for you?

I"m going to see if I can get an M-Audio tech to look into this and reply on this thread in the meantime...
Old 04-14-2009, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiTechSupt View Post
I"m going to see if I can get an M-Audio tech to look into this and reply on this thread in the meantime...
Yes - please do!!
At PlethoraTone:
Mac Mini M1, Avid Carbon,
PSP, Waves Mercury, UAD, Kush, Slate Digital,
PA, Melodyne, Antares, Audioease, SoundToys
Old 04-15-2009, 02:04 PM
Avid

I just installed Pro Tool 8 and the Transit on Vista 32 with the 5125v3 driver. Upon installing the driver, Direct sound worked, I tested playback with Windows Media Player.

I did notice the crackling and popping when changing bit depth and sample rate from the Transit control panel. I also noticed a slight crackle/pop when launching Sessions at 88.2 in Pro Tools. The Session at 44.1 did not have any noises.

I also found that when the inputs were disabled in the Transit Control Panel, you could only use the device at 88.2 or 96, and sample rates of 44.1 and 48 were not available. You have to quit the application and enable the inputs in order to use the lower sample rates again.

I was able to restore Direct Sound functionality for use with applicaitons such as Windows Media Player by first making sure inputs/outputs were enabled in the control panel so sample rates of 44.1/48k were available; then by going to the Windows Control Panel>Sound>Playback; double click S/PDIF Transit USB to open its properties; on the Supported Formats Tab, click on the sample rate (44.1) so it's highlighted (don't check the box, click the actual numbers), then click Test. This restores direct sound functionality; however, launching Pro Tools or any other application that accesses the Transit ASIO driver will again break this functionality and you have to go back to the Supported Formats page to restore it again.

I have forwarded all of my test results to our Verifications department so they can log these issues and forward them to the developer.
Old 04-16-2009, 02:02 AM

Yup, you pretty much found out what us Transit owners know. Except I've not been able to get my Transit to jive with direct sound at all so far. I'll play around some more with the work around but you know why should I have to go through all that?

Here's a 6 months and running thread over at the M-Audio forums about the subject of the Transit Vista drivers and how they suck:

http://forums.m-audio.com/showthread.php?t=2818
Old 04-21-2009, 05:05 PM

So after following your instructions I too was able to get direct sound working for the first time but as you found I have to go back in and follow the instructions to complete the workaround again every time I use PT.

Any chance this can be addressed? It does now work, though I haven't tried it long term. Some folks have said that direct sound breaks after a period of hours.