Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-21-2008, 07:15 PM

Default Big BFD2 problems. GUI screwed in RTAS verions.

Sorry if this has been covered before. I didn't find anything about it when I searched.

When I instance BFD2 as an RTAS plug the GUI is totally screwed. It is sluggish to switch to the different windows within BFD2 and won't switch to the preferences window at all. I have to close the plug in window and open it again to get it to switch. It'll draw half the window over a different window and all kinds of bad stuff. Makes it next to useless.

It doesn't do this in stand-alone mode and it doesn't do it when I use it as a VST plug via the VST to RTAS wrapper (although I get a memory error problem but that's a different thread). It's spicific to the RTAS instance so I know it's a PT thing.

Anybody had this problem? I'd say it might be graphics driver related but it only does it as RTAS.

Vista Ultimate 32 SP1
PT 7.4cs4
Quad core Phenom 2.3
4 gigs ram at 1066
BFD2 on system drive, PT sessions on second drive.

Old 12-21-2008, 07:31 PM

Default Re: Big BFD2 problems. GUI screwed in RTAS verions.

Make sure you have the latest version...that would be 2.1.0.34.

Although it has nothing to do with your gui problem, bfd is one plug-in that definitely likes to see it's samples on a seperate drive from both os and session (audio)files. Fx highly recomends this in the manual , and will give you the best performance.
Old 12-21-2008, 07:38 PM

Yea I hear ya, and at some point I'm going to do this for all my VI's but for now I can't drop the cash and install a whole new HD for one program until I determine that I'll use it all the time and that it actually works. Which is where I'm at now.
Old 12-21-2008, 07:47 PM

The GUI problem in BFD2 as an RTAS plug-in can be improved or eliminated by going into the preferences (check mark box next to midi), in the GUI section and UNcheck Display Tool-tips.

This has been the case that I know of, since at least version 2.0.10. Definitely get the latest version, though.

BFD2/RTAS is a major memory hog, and you'll need at least 3GB of RAM available to XP/Vista, and the LAA patch to PT 7.x. PT 8 is already LAA assuming you have enough available RAM configured on the MB. You'll easily hit 2.8GB RAM while playing with BFD2 in PT. I usually use BFD2 in 16-bit mode (set in the Engine preferences) to keep mem usage down while building the drum set and getting all the prelims done and tested, then switch to 24 bit mode to lay down to tracks. Whenever things start acting strange, save your session and rerun PT from scratch.

--Bill
Old 12-21-2008, 08:38 PM

That worked like a champ! Of course those tool tips would have been mighty handy since this new version is so much more involved then the last. But I can deal until I update.

Now I'm getting the big "you have run out of memory" messages poping up infinatly and making me close PT and restart....sigh... So I did 16 bit mode and reduced my velocity layers to like 90. I've got 4 gigs of fast ram, am I gonna have to run this thing crippled forever? Man, this is some bull @$^*!

The only thing I've ever got from Fxpansion that worked right was the wrapper. I can't tell you how tired I am of buying expensive software and having to tweak and hack to get it to work right.

Anyway, thanks so much for your help, you totally solved my problems.
Old 12-21-2008, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobydoo View Post
That worked like a champ! Of course those tool tips would have been mighty handy since this new version is so much more involved then the last. But I can deal until I update.

Now I'm getting the big "you have run out of memory" messages poping up infinatly and making me close PT and restart....sigh... So I did 16 bit mode and reduced my velocity layers to like 90. I've got 4 gigs of fast ram, am I gonna have to run this thing crippled forever? Man, this is some bull @$^*!

The only thing I've ever got from Fxpansion that worked right was the wrapper. I can't tell you how tired I am of buying expensive software and having to tweak and hack to get it to work right.

Anyway, thanks so much for your help, you totally solved my problems.

http://duc.digidesign.com/showthread.php?t=212853

follow this word for word and will mostly fix your ram issues with bfd. i have the andy johns expansion which is like 250 vel layers and there is no other way i could run it. and update to the 2.1 when you can. there will be more updates and all the newest expansions coming out like jim scott, and steven slate's will all require 2.1

pro-tools-pc.com

TRASHER Pro Tools Utility(updated 4-11-2024)

HD Native, Avid 16x16, Eleven Rack, Focusrite Clarett 8preX, UA Quad Apollo TB.

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10
Old 12-21-2008, 09:28 PM

XP only allows PT and all plug-ins to access 2GB of RAM.. you can patch PT 7.x to use the /3G switch or update to PT 8.

To reduce RAM usage of BFD2, set the RAM buffer to 8k instead of the default of 16k - that will halve the RAM requirements, 16 bit mode will halve it again. If you install BFD 2.1.0.34 beta you can enable "Load on demand" which will reduce RAM usage dramatically.

Rail
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Old 12-21-2008, 09:38 PM

The famous Rail Jon! nice to get your help.

Does the LAA thing work for Vista? And why do I have to hack my OS to run this thing?

Thanks again guys.
Old 12-21-2008, 09:55 PM

For Vista, follow these instructions:

1. Pull up the command line window
2. Type: BCDEDIT /Set IncreaseUserVa 3072
3. Hit enter
4. Reboot
5. When you reboot, you will be presented with the startup option to enable or not enable large address aware mode; this will happen every time you reboot.

http://duc.digidesign.com/showthread.php?t=212853

You're reconfiguring your OS to let PT address more memory. Otherwise consider getting a Mac

Rail
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Old 12-21-2008, 10:04 PM

Did that, seemed to take. Rebooted. No option. Unless it flashed by in a split second. Did I do it wrong?

Consider getting a mac? I do every day. Then I look at the prices and sigh...