Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-17-2007, 05:24 AM

Default PT 7.3.1 completely dysfunctional: Help

Hello Everybody

I installed the latest version 7.3 (with latest maintenance release 7.3.1) of Pro Protools M-Powered and it's completely dysfunctional

- It takes at least one minute but mostly much much much more then one minute to open a new plug in (initialize)
- It takes minutes if you change the locater for PT to start playing again, even if you go 30 sec further. It stays unresponsive in the meantime
- Some plugins are missing, are they changed? I have for example a message, when loading existing projects, that the limiter plug in is missing but it was a PT native plugin. Also other plugins where marked missing but where still present in the plug in menu
- PT is generally very unresponsive
- Sometimes Problems with ASIO (strange sound)

PT 7.1 worked but apparently I had to uninstall it to install 7.3 > I think have to go back

My PC is made and optimised for Audio (and PT): Cubase 4, Ableton 6 etc are working without such problems. PT 7.1 was working. This latest update behaves like it needs a Intel 24core 25ghz pc.

Is there something I'm missing??
I have installed 7.3 and directly updated to 7.3.1 before starting 7.3.

Thanks
Eli
Old 02-18-2007, 07:06 AM

Default Re: PT 7.3.1 completely dysfunctional: Help

some plugins are not compatible.

they changed the way pro tools handles plugins, and some of them may be using the "old" method.

try to remove all the plugins from:
Program Files --> Common Files --> Digidesign --> DAE --> Plugins

see if that helps.

i haven't upgraded to 7.3 yet (i still use 7.1cs10), so if it's not the plugin incompatibility issue, then i am not going to be of much help to you.

if the plugin removal doesn't fix the issue, try to remove the preferences and digidesign databases.

Old 02-19-2007, 03:41 AM

Hello, Thanks

The plugin thing is not the biggest or a real problem, just confusing.
But the unresponsiveness is strange and frustrating.
For example in the new features digidesign describes that you can do actions on the fly while playing. But, when I do any action all sound is stopping... not really convenient.
If I go out of Protools for few seconds (minimizing or something) it takes minutes for it to become active again.
If I want to move the transport locater to another position it takes enormous time to start playing again > this makes PT unusable.
initializing a plugin takes ages.
Just every action makes Protools become inert and/or doing things in the background. In a way it is just impossible to work with it.

I've set the playback buffer to minimum to notice a very very little change. I can not think of anything else that can be tweaked because this PC is already optimized for audio (and additional tweaked conform the protools suggestions). Every audio app is working without these problems.

I noticed in the specs for 7.3 the minimal memory needs are increased to 768 mb. I have enough but I feel a big difference with 7.1. The recording project exists out of 6-7 tracks for 3 hours and almost no edits, just mix automation.

Is there a certain amount of pagefile needed for PT > now I have set it to 384 on my system drive C

Has anybody these problems?

GreetS
Eli
Old 02-19-2007, 05:29 AM

Well at least bring the PC up to 2GB RAM...I run with 4GB
Old 02-19-2007, 08:27 AM

1. you should be using "background services" and "system cache" for your performance settings.

i'm concerned that you either did not follow the tweaking instructions correctly, or you ignored them / didn't use them - becuase if you did, you wouldn't be asking about the "pagefile".

http://duc.digidesign.com/showflat.p...part=1#1103324

also, you have to post your SANDRA info if you want help.

it is possible that you have some weird chipset, or other issue that we cannot diagnose using the information that you have provided.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

- SiSoftware's Sandra Lite application can be used to post your full system profile:
www.sisoftware.net
Under SiSoftware Sandra, click on "Download & Buy" to download the free Sandra Lite version or purchase other versions.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------