Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 05-10-2004, 01:23 AM

Default I think I\'m gonna switch to Mac... some questions

I'm gonna be using Protools via Mbox and Logic. I'm gonna buy it through Apple.com because I can get the student discount. They have a special on discounted RAM. Should I get the extra 512 from them or buy it from somewhere else? Which would be cheaper/better? I don't really know how Mac RAM is because I'm a PC guy.... Please excuse my Mac ignorance here

Are there any issues with the G5 I should know/be worried about?

Also about hard drives. SATA or IDE? I want to get a second HD (200gb one). I don't know what's compatible... Do any HDs work in Macs now?

http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/Produc...01220-315006-1

http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/Produc...01220-1-316603
Old 05-10-2004, 01:27 AM

Default Re: I think I\'m gonna switch to Mac... some questions

just get the RAM from apple. that way you won't have any hassles with spec and/or warranty.

as far as the extra HDD goes, why not buy the 200GB and put it in a Firewire enclosure so you can easily transport your work around with you? the Lacie, MacPower and Sarotech boxes are good.
Old 05-10-2004, 08:42 AM

Default Re: I think I\'m gonna switch to Mac... some questi

You can save some $$$ buying the RAM and installing yourself, which takes about 5 minutes. Any reputable RAM distributer will warranty their RAM for life.

I'd recommend getting 2 smaller drives rather than one big drive. in a word: backup.
Old 05-10-2004, 09:32 AM

I've read a few things that say the dual G5 has some problems and I see that some people bought the dual G4 instead. Should I wait? When will the kinks be worked out?
Old 05-10-2004, 10:11 AM

DO NOT buy that RAM from Apple...anybody who does just proves the "A fool and his money..." quote....it is one of their biggest rackets EVER!
Look at what you have to buy to get the $700 discount...anything less than the 4 gig and your savings starts deteriorating.

Buy the Mac with the stock 512, then get over to Crucial.com and buy the EXACT same RAM from them, the worlds best RAM BTW, for about $150 cheaper overall. It's the same stuff they sell Apple....and with the same warranty too.

Apple cost: $1050 for 4 Gig, (8 sticks of 512), after savings.
Crucial cost $895 for 4 Gg, (8 sticks of 512)...no rebates or "savings" needed.

THIS....is the definition of a "No Brainer".

If you don't need the 4 Gig, you can save yourself some money and get 2 Gig and then later add more when the price comes down further.
Old 05-10-2004, 11:42 AM

I don't want to get into a huge debate over this, but consider these points.

1) Crucial does not sell the EXACT same RAM as Apple. Only Apple sells Apple RAM. I know they don't actually make it, but they certify it.
2) Only Apple RAM is covered by Apple's warranties. If you buy it from a 3rd party, you will have to remove it while troubleshooting with Apple.
3) OSX is very picky about the quality of RAM installed.
4) If you buy from Apple, the chance of getting bad RAM is minimized.

Once upon a time I thought it was crazy to buy RAM from Apple. Back then you might pay 2, 3 or even 4 times retail price from Apple. That is not true today. And once upon a time Macs were more tolerant of RAM abnormalities. This too is not true today. If you are absolutely up against the wall with barely any money, then fine, buy 3rd party and you will probably be ok. But many people have problems with RAM and I'd recommend getting it from Apple to minimize problems and aggravation. Just my $.02. YMMV.

G4 1.25DP/FW800/1.25GB/OS X 10.3.5/Digi 001/LE 6.4
Old 05-10-2004, 12:01 PM

Quote:
I don't want to get into a huge debate over this, but consider these points.

1) Crucial does not sell the EXACT same RAM as Apple. Only Apple sells Apple RAM. I know they don't actually make it, but they certify it.
2) Only Apple RAM is covered by Apple's warranties. If you buy it from a 3rd party, you will have to remove it while troubleshooting with Apple.
3) OSX is very picky about the quality of RAM installed.
4) If you buy from Apple, the chance of getting bad RAM is minimized.

Good cause you are wrong on almost EVERY point. Let me educate you.

Crucial IS but ONE of Apple's suppliers. It IS the exact same specs. This is fact. Crucial certifies it AS compliant. It will work or they will replace it.
Apple WILL honor their warranty if you have Crucial RAM installed. Every one of my machines have Crucial installed and I have NEVER been denied service when they found Crucial RAM in there. Your comment about removing it before they troubleshoot is BS.
You are right about OS X....any Mac OS is picky about the RAM. AND it will tell you. That is why when you go to the Crucial site, they ASK YOU specifics about your machine to ensure that you get the right RAM. But....if the machine boots, and the system likes the RAM...it will appear in the Apple System Profiler....
Your comment about buying from Apple is also BS. I have had to have our Mac vendor come out more than once to replace Apple FACTORY RAM more than once....guess how many times I have had Crucial RAM replaced....never.

So again....save your money, buy from Crucial and be done AND happy with green in your pocket.
Old 05-10-2004, 12:30 PM

[sigh]

OK, so much for no debate.

"Apple WILL honor their warranty if you have Crucial RAM installed."
-Where did you read this? In their terms and conditions, Apple states, "The Plan Does Not Cover....Problems caused by a device that is not the Covered Equipment, including equipment that is not Apple-branded..." Crucial is not Apple-branded. They might be a supplier, but they are not Apple. You may have been lucky and the Apple tech ignored the 3rd party RAM, but that is not their stated policy. Sometimes I like to know that I'm 100% covered. You might not value that, but some other people do.

"Mac OS is picky about the RAM. AND it will tell you.....if the machine boots, and the system likes the RAM...it will appear in the Apple System Profiler...."
-That doesn't in any way assure the RAM is in good working order. The only way to truly test RAM is with a hardware tester or by good, hard use. I'd say 80% of the bad RAM I've encountered showed up correctly in the computer's BIOS or System Profiler.

"Your comment about buying from Apple is also BS. I have had to have our Mac vendor come out more than once to replace Apple FACTORY RAM more than once....guess how many times I have had Crucial RAM replaced....never."
-Hmmm. OK. I have a light bulb in my closet that has never burned out since I moved into my apt. It is a Sylvania. The GE bulbs in my bathroom have burned out twice. I guess Sylvania bulbs are better and never burn out. I guess all GE bulbs are bad. Just because you have had bad luck with Apple RAM doesn't mean that everyone experiences that. I think most people will tell you they generally do not have problems with their factory installed RAM, but have had to return 3rd party RAM more frequently.

Lexicon5, my point of all this is simply to show a valid point, that buying RAM from Apple may make ones life a little easier, and these days the premium paid is not the highway robbery it once was not too long ago. I bought my RAM from a 3rd party and wish I had bought directly from Apple with the G4. If cost is a major factor, then I have no problem with 3rd party anything. But when we shell out the bucks we do for all this audio stuff, I think it might be shortsighted to buy 3rd party RAM. It's just my opinion.

G4 1.25DP/FW800/1.25GB/OS X 10.3.5/Digi 001/LE 6.4
Old 05-10-2004, 04:22 PM

So nobody can address my question about the recent issues I've heard about G5s? Power supply, compatability, problems, etc.

Should I wait for a revision or order now? This is much more important than any other question/concern of mine.
Old 05-10-2004, 10:20 PM

Apple will support any ram that passes the hardware test, and move on to other areas if you have problems. If you run the hardware test and is shows a problemw iht your RAM, apple will recommend you reomve the thrid party ram and run the test again.