Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > FireWire & USB Audio Interfaces (Win)

Old 10-04-2013, 12:41 PM

Default Stem Outputs with Mbox Pro 3?

Hey guys/gals,

If this has already been answered, I couldn't find it.

I'm considering getting an Mbox Pro 3 to run with PT11 on Windows 7. I am also considering getting a small 8-channel analog desk to use as a front end for the system (bypassing the Mbox pres).

However, my question is this: Could I use the 6 outputs of the Mbox Pro 3 to send stem mixes BACK OUT to the console for a little analog summing? For example, could I route (in PT) all my drums to an aux input and then send that out of Outputs 1/2 to two tracks on the console, bass guitar to Output 3/console channel 3, vocal to Output 4/console channel 4, and "everything else" on an aux input to Outputs 5/6? (I'd then sum these in the mixer and record the console's L/R output back into PT.)

I'm sure this would be fairly easy to figure out if I had the box in front of me, but like I said, I'm still trying to decide if it's worth purchasing.

Thanks!
Old 10-04-2013, 08:09 PM

Default Re: Stem Outputs with Mbox Pro 3?

You can definitely do this with the Mbox Pro. You actually don't need to send the tracks through auxes, but rather just straight to outputs.

The Mbox Pro can be set so that all 6 outputs are just straight line outs, so none of them go through the monitor section/volume control, which is what you'd want for this situation. Or vice versa, you can set any combination or all of them to go through the monitor section/volume control (for surround mixing, etc.).

Having said all that, I question whether this would be a benefit or not. Mainly because you're talking about a small, compact, 8 channel mixer. Most of these are not good enough quality to actually improve anything, both for the preamps, and the summing as well. You may even be worse off by using them.

Something like this might be worthwhile if it's in your budget:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Control2802/

Or various summing boxes like the Dangerous Dbox.
Old 10-04-2013, 10:14 PM

This is very good news! I had assumed that, in the digital realm, a Line Out was a Line Out was a Line Out . . . but I have had enough experience with Digi/Avid to know that sometimes this is only true with The Latest Paid Upgrade.

I'm not dead-set on the summing idea, but wanted to know if it was even possible. The mixer is an old Ramsa. I used a larger version--i.e. big honkin' huge version--a couple of years back, and immediately thought the pres were really something different, especially compared to the newer Soundcraft/A&H desks I've used. So when I saw a home-friendly 8-channel version on eBay, I snatched it up, even if I could only use it as a front end for PT. So I figure I might as well try stem summing (using the insert return on the desk) to see if the Ramsa master section added any magic juice.

Again, thanks for clearing this up.
Old 10-06-2013, 07:03 PM

So here's an addendum (or perhaps just dumb) question regarding stem outputs:

Maybe I'm not understanding the relationship between the Pro Tools "world" and the Mbox 3's "cue mix software world," but would it be possible to use, say, the 2nd headphone out as a 4th stereo stem output? For instance, could I have:

"Drum Group" (stereo) in PT routed to Outputs 1-2
"Bass Group" (mono) in PT routed to Output 3
"Vox Group" (mono) in PT routed to Output 4
"Band Group" (stereo in PT routed to Outputs 5-6
"FX Group" (stereo) in PT set up as the only thing being monitored by the 2nd headphone output using the "cue mix software" controls?

(1st headphone output would feed my powered monitors)

Is this possible, or am I asking for too much?

Thanks again, everyone!
Old 10-17-2013, 04:51 PM

You can send another two channels to your headphone 2 output. In the Mbox Control Panel, select your Headphone B tab and for the stereo mix, select Software Returns 7/8. Now whatever you send to your outputs 7/8 (might be named s/pdif 1&2) in Pro Tools will go to the headphones 2. You might be asking a lot out of the Mbox. I'm wondering about how your going to feed your powered monitors through your first headphone output. What signal exactly are you sending through here? Your'e out of paths by now. You could, I guess, run the mixer outputs into your Mbox and set your headphones to ONLY monitor this hardware input, but you can't monitor it through Pro Tools because you've used up all your available hardware output paths.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mboxcp2.jpg (38.2 KB, 0 views)
Old 10-17-2013, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by serio View Post
You could, I guess, run the mixer outputs into your Mbox and set your headphones to ONLY monitor this hardware input, but you can't monitor it through Pro Tools because you've used up all your available hardware output paths.
Oh, that's great! I hadn't thought of that little tidbit . . . I'd basically just be using the mixing desk as a summing mixer, so in theory I'm using it more for color than level control. With that in mind, I was just going to tap into the headphone send on the desk itself, but using PT to send the 'finished' product to the speakers seems much better.

The whole idea is a little sketchball, but if it does something cool to the mix, I guess it's worth it. We'll see.