Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools | Carbon

Old 12-04-2021, 12:06 PM

Default Re: Carbon internal talkback system - not great results here

Well, after running sessions for a week through Carbon exclusively now as my HD Accel replacement, I had at least one client from EVERY session complain about the horrible jet engine sound coming from the talkback. It's unusable, unfortunately. That's not the kind of thing that I can disregard. Combined with the timeline issues this has been a really rough week as an engineer...

BYOTB
Old 12-04-2021, 12:59 PM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Hepworth View Post
Well, after running sessions for a week through Carbon exclusively now as my HD Accel replacement, I had at least one client from EVERY session complain about the horrible jet engine sound coming from the talkback. It's unusable, unfortunately. That's not the kind of thing that I can disregard. Combined with the timeline issues this has been a really rough week as an engineer...

BYOTB
Hi Matt,

Sorry to hear this. What kind of processing do you currently have on the Talkback track? We've included a track preset that may help as it filters low end, dips the mids, and adds compression and limiting. You can find it by clicking on an insert slot on the Talkback track and going to recall inserts > Pro Tools | Carbon > Talkback. Let me know if that helps.
Berkeley, CA
Old 12-04-2021, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Splittgerber View Post
Hi Matt,

Sorry to hear this. What kind of processing do you currently have on the Talkback track? We've included a track preset that may help as it filters low end, dips the mids, and adds compression and limiting. You can find it by clicking on an insert slot on the Talkback track and going to recall inserts > Pro Tools | Carbon > Talkback. Let me know if that helps.
Thanks, Kyle. I ran a channel strip with a downward expander, aggressive low cut, careful narrow cuts where the fan whine lives, etc. I hate to be a downer, but it's just a really bad, unusable design. Fine for casual usage, but for paying clients? No way. Unfortunately, had to sacrifice a Carbon input (leaving only 23 for tracking, which is pretty rough) for a regular mic for talkback. Combined with the timeline issues I have to say I'm looking very hard at dumping it. The latency is lower than ANYTHING (including HDX), which is why I bought it, but it's, so far, a very far cry from filling the big shoes of the HD Accel system it just replaced. Been a ROUGH, very booked week at the studio...

So, if HDX (which I owned briefly and was much higher latency than Accel) isn't a good solution and Carbon isn't going to work out, I'm in a really bad situation.
Old 02-09-2022, 01:53 PM

Yes, I agree this talk back is unusable for most of my sessions...much too noisy. I work with vocalist that would definitely complain if they heard that much noise every time I wanted to talk to them.

I tried notching out frequencies and even using a de-noise plugin but it's still not great. I've switched to using up one of my 8 channels with an external mic...definitely not ideal.

Has there any further fixes or is this just how it's going to be left? Judging from how this thread hasn't had much action lately probably not?

Chris
Old 02-12-2022, 05:21 AM

Anyone opened up their Carbon to see if the wires to the talkback mic can be extended - in order to attach an external mic of some description?

Dominic
Old 02-15-2022, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dominicperry View Post
Anyone opened up their Carbon to see if the wires to the talkback mic can be extended - in order to attach an external mic of some description?

Dominic
That's an idea. Does anyone know if Avid is still trying to come up with a solution? It's fairly expensive piece to have such a silly problem like this.
Old 05-28-2022, 07:06 AM

Default Re: Excessive Noise in Talkback

Does anyone know if there is a fix for this? I finally got around to setting up my Carbon in the hope of making it the centre of my workflow for ADR / VO. The talkback noise is OUTRAGEOUS !! I'd have returned this in a heartbeat had I gotten setup earlier... it sounds like they've attached an omni mic to the fan itself.

Jeez !!

I'm on PT 2022.5... latest Carbon firmware

Any suggestions will be greatly received .... this has stopped me in my tracks.

Thanks

Marcus
Old 05-29-2022, 06:37 AM

Default Re: Excessive Noise in Talkback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Byrne View Post
Does anyone know if there is a fix for this? I finally got around to setting up my Carbon in the hope of making it the centre of my workflow for ADR / VO. The talkback noise is OUTRAGEOUS !! I'd have returned this in a heartbeat had I gotten setup earlier... it sounds like they've attached an omni mic to the fan itself.

Jeez !!

I'm on PT 2022.5... latest Carbon firmware

Any suggestions will be greatly received .... this has stopped me in my tracks.

Thanks

Marcus
Your answer is in this thread. Either nothing can be done about it, or nothing will be done about. Certainly nothing has been done about it.
Return your Carbon, or work around the problem. No fix is coming.

Dominic