Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-23-2017, 08:34 AM

Default Your thoughts on what monitors to purchase for 5.1 edit suite

Hello all,

I've recently relocated to the middle of nowhere, and have setup my own edit suite so that I can continue to work remotely - the majority of work will be sound editing (sound design) for feature films. I'd love your advice on monitors currently available on the market that will enable me to deliver material to the dub stage that translates accurately, preferably for a 'practical' price

I did a lot of work at a facility that used JBL LSR4328Ps for main speakers and LSR4312SP subs for the .1 in their edit rooms. I felt these speakers were great for preparing material for the dub stage, and the translation between the edit room and dub stage was pretty good. They had a bit of dip in the midrange, which resulted in things sounding a little bit 'honky' when listening on the stage, but their low end translation was fantastic. Importantly, I knew and trusted how they sounded. But of course, these speakers are no longer on the market so I have to find an alternative solution.

For the time being, I have set the room up with an 'old' set of Genelec 1029As coupled with a 1091A Sub - these were previously my 'home theatre' speakers. But this solution can't last - the sub in particular is pathetic (and that's being generous). The 1029s seem to put out enough SPL to get the job done, but I really can't tell what's going on below 85Hz, which is a problem.

So - I'd love to know what current speaker setups you value, or think are good value! Money is also a relevant thing to consider - of course it'd be great to get a new set of the latest, greatest & biggest Genelecs, but then I'd have to mortgage my house to do so, and that's not really a practical option.

I often work on action material and am looking for a system that has balls; I DO NOT what a system that requires bass management - I want 5 main speakers that reproduce bass frequencies similarly (relatively, of course) to those on the calibrated dub stage.

The JBL LSR6328Ps look like a comparable replacement for the LSR4328s on paper, but I've never heard them before. What are your thoughts? I also worry that the LSR6312 sub's frequency response only goes up to 80Hz - I'd really like something that goes all the way to 120Hz, for translation on the dub stage.

The local retailer stocks a lot of ADAM stuff; I've used ADAM A7s before and generally liked them; I felt they were good monitors, although they lacked balls down really low. Have the A7Xs got a better LF response? What about the A8X or the A77X? Would the Sub12 get the job done (IE, not crap out when I throw some serious level at it) or is it better to opt for the Sub15?

What other monitors would you recommend? Would love to hear your thoughts

BTW The room is roughly 4.5m x 4m x 2.7m (L x W x H)

Thanks guys!
Old 01-23-2017, 10:29 AM

Default Re: Your thoughts on what monitors to purchase for 5.1 edit suite

I don't have all of your answers, but I own the 4300 series and wouldn't hesitate in the slightest to buy into the 6300 series. Many engineers say they're similar. There has been some question about the strength of the sub (search Gearslutz), but I don't have firsthand experience with the 6300 sub.

Adams were never to my taste, and I use Genelec all the time in our NYC studio, but they're over-priced for what you get. Everything else in this price category isn't as good as JBL or Genelec. Obviously, moving up to Barefoot, ATC, or Meyer will put you in a different world.
Old 01-23-2017, 10:33 AM

Wait sorry, scratch all that. JBL now has the 7 series which I haven't heard. Until I do, I can't confidently recommend the 6300's over the 7's. Confusing line-up.
Old 01-23-2017, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesa5454 View Post
Hello all,

I've recently relocated to the middle of nowhere, and have setup my own edit suite so that I can continue to work remotely - the majority of work will be sound editing (sound design) for feature films. I'd love your advice on monitors currently available on the market that will enable me to deliver material to the dub stage that translates accurately, preferably for a 'practical' price

I did a lot of work at a facility that used JBL LSR4328Ps for main speakers and LSR4312SP subs for the .1 in their edit rooms. I felt these speakers were great for preparing material for the dub stage, and the translation between the edit room and dub stage was pretty good. They had a bit of dip in the midrange, which resulted in things sounding a little bit 'honky' when listening on the stage, but their low end translation was fantastic. Importantly, I knew and trusted how they sounded. But of course, these speakers are no longer on the market so I have to find an alternative solution.

For the time being, I have set the room up with an 'old' set of Genelec 1029As coupled with a 1091A Sub - these were previously my 'home theatre' speakers. But this solution can't last - the sub in particular is pathetic (and that's being generous). The 1029s seem to put out enough SPL to get the job done, but I really can't tell what's going on below 85Hz, which is a problem.

So - I'd love to know what current speaker setups you value, or think are good value! Money is also a relevant thing to consider - of course it'd be great to get a new set of the latest, greatest & biggest Genelecs, but then I'd have to mortgage my house to do so, and that's not really a practical option.

I often work on action material and am looking for a system that has balls; I DO NOT what a system that requires bass management - I want 5 main speakers that reproduce bass frequencies similarly (relatively, of course) to those on the calibrated dub stage.

The JBL LSR6328Ps look like a comparable replacement for the LSR4328s on paper, but I've never heard them before. What are your thoughts? I also worry that the LSR6312 sub's frequency response only goes up to 80Hz - I'd really like something that goes all the way to 120Hz, for translation on the dub stage.

The local retailer stocks a lot of ADAM stuff; I've used ADAM A7s before and generally liked them; I felt they were good monitors, although they lacked balls down really low. Have the A7Xs got a better LF response? What about the A8X or the A77X? Would the Sub12 get the job done (IE, not crap out when I throw some serious level at it) or is it better to opt for the Sub15?

What other monitors would you recommend? Would love to hear your thoughts

BTW The room is roughly 4.5m x 4m x 2.7m (L x W x H)

Thanks guys!

I've just upgraded from a pair of JBL4328p's to a 5.1 set of Dynaudio LYD's in a room about your size.

http://www.dynaudio.com/professional-audio/lyd/lyd-7

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

www.spoonsound.com
Old 01-23-2017, 01:16 PM

I recently changed my system to Genelec 8351 fronts, 8240 rears and (2) 7260 subs. Once tweaked the system is one of the best I've used. The 3-way 8351's are just spot on. I hear things I've missed in conventional 2-way monitors. While pretty expensive they are worth every penny.
Old 01-24-2017, 06:37 AM

I have an A7X 5.1 setup and I love it.
For the money, IMO there's nothing better.

I don't like Genelecs in general as I find them very fatiguing, but I can't comment as to specific Genelecs posted above.

I don't bass manage them as the have very good bass response... Though my room is a little wonky on the bottom end... (still using the genelc sub with the a7x's)

Bottom line, I forget they're there... instead of fighting against them like I did my genelecs.