How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-20-2006, 03:00 AM

Default Real-Time Mix Down To File

G'Day fellow PT LE users

I've got a question relating to producing a mixed output file 'while' recording. I've got PT set up in my music room, where I regularly give lessons. I used to get the students to bring along a tape recorder to tape the lessons, but here's what I'd LIKE to do:

* connect up three mics - one for my guitar, one for theirs, and one for my voice
* have a session template ready that adds a bit of reverb to each channel and mixes them at the right levels
* press record on PT at the start of the lesson (pausing and restarting as required), then
* burn a mixed-down CD of the lesson at the end to give to the student

The only unkown for me in all this is having a single mixed file ready to burn at the end of the lesson. From experience so far, I've bounced the session to disk to produce an AIFF file, then burnt that, but it bounces in real time so for a 40 minute recorded lesson it will take another 40 minutes to bounce. What I'd like is to have a wav (or other) file created from the master fader in real-time that I can burn as soon as the lesson is over.
Is this possible?

Any help appreciated.

Cheers
Josh

http://www.joshbennett.com.au
Old 06-20-2006, 04:04 AM

Default Re: Real-Time Mix Down To File

Bus each track and aux track to a mono audio track. Label each track (Student/Teacher/Vox/Verb/Everything). Record enable all of the audio tracks and record the lesson. Once you're done, go into the audio files folder and burn the "Everything1_01.wav" (or at least called something like that) to a CD. Off you go.

•2019 Mac Pro 3.5 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon W - 48 GB 2666 MHz DDR4 (OS 10.15.5) •HD Native PCIe, HD Omni, 192 I/o, Pro Tools Ultimate •Avid S3 + Dock •Blackmagic Intensity Pro (HDMI) •5.1 Room with JBL LSR4300 series

Additional Systems

•2010 Mac Pro 2 x 2.66 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon - 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 (OS 10.14.6) •HD Native PCIe, 192 I/o, 96 I/o, Pro Tools Ultimate •McMix (x4), McControl (x1), JLCooper Surround panner for D-Command ES, Avid Control •Blackmagic Intensity Pro (HDMI) •7.1.4 Room with JBL LSR4300 series

•2017 MacBook Pro 2.8 GHz i7 - 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 (OS 10.14.6) •HD Native TB, HD Omni, Pro Tools Ultimate •McMix (x1), McControl (x1), Avid Control * or * D-Command ES Main Unit •Fed into whichever system is the main system
Old 06-20-2006, 05:33 AM

although the above is correct, I´d like to make some additions:

setup a 44.1kHz/24bit session (because you don´t need a hot signal here 2/3 level meter is enough)
use the track structure described above.
When you´re done export the region from the Region List Window (export selected as Files)
as 44.1/16bit Stereo. Burn it.

regs
Old 06-24-2006, 01:41 PM

Quote:

When you´re done export the region from the Region List Window (export selected as Files)
as 44.1/16bit Stereo.

regs
The only problem with this is if you export a mono file to stereo it will still be mono. In order to have a stereo file when exporting you must have two multi mono files:

"file.L" and "file.R"

These will show up in the audio regions bin together as "file(stereo)"
Old 06-26-2006, 08:35 AM

What they said will only work for a single continuous recording. Anytime you stop/pause, PT will close the current audio file and open a new one when you go back into record. In order to handle that, do the following: at the end of the lesson, select all regions, Alt+Shift+3 (consolidate), and Ctl+Shift+K (export) as 16 bit, 44.1 KHz Stereo. I'd suggest mixing your input tracks (they can all be auxes) to a stereo audio track, which is the only audio track you'll need. I would also say don't track at 24-bit unless you're going to bounce down in real time using dither.

PT 2023.12 Ultimate | Clarett+ 8Pre | macOS 13.6.3 on a MacBook Pro M1 Max
PT 2023.12 | Saffire Pro 40 | Win10 latest, HP Z440 64GB