Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12

Old 04-09-2015, 05:51 PM

Default PT 11 upgrade. Subscription? Perpetual?

I own PT11.

Unless I'm missing something the only option I see for upgrading is to go to the annual $199 license.

Do I have to surrender m PT11 license under this plan?

Is the perpetual license $899 whether you have PT 11 or not?
Old 04-09-2015, 06:06 PM

Default Re: PT 11 upgrade. Subscription? Perpetual?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilesMusic View Post
I own PT11.

Unless I'm missing something the only option I see for upgrading is to go to the annual $199 license.

The perpetual license is $199 per year. HD is $599 per year. You get upgrades for one year and support.

You get 10, 11 and 12 in a bundle. You can also subscribe.

I can't re-type all the info here. For the definite facts, see the FAQs.
http://www.videopark.com
MacPro 6 core 3.33 GHz, OS 10.12.1, 8 GB RAM, PT12.6.1, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, PreSonus DigiMax, MC Control V3.5, dual displays,
Neumann U-47, Tab V76 mic pre, RCA 44BX and 77DX, MacBook Pro 9,1, 2.3 Mhz, i7, CBS Labs Audimax and Volumax.
Ampex 440B half-track and four-track, 351 tube full-track mono, MM-1100 16-track.
Old 04-09-2015, 07:04 PM

Quote:
I own PT11.

$199 is for the upgrade to 12, which gives you a 10/11/12 combo license. Yes you surrender your 11 license. You also get 12months of support with this.

At the end of the year, you renew your support plan or your license becomes a perpetual license "stuck" on whatever version was current when you let the plan lapse.

Make sense?

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 04-11-2015, 12:44 PM

As a PT 11 user who upgraded last December, why would I not have a PT 12 upgrade available in my account right now if this is included as part of my original purchase (i.e. updates, upgrades within the duration of my plan)?

If I need to contact Avid, why?

Thank you.
Old 04-11-2015, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by latweek View Post
As a PT 11 user who upgraded last December, why would I not have a PT 12 upgrade available in my account right now if this is included as part of my original purchase (i.e. updates, upgrades within the duration of my plan)?

If I need to contact Avid, why?

Thank you.
If you want your case sorted out sooner rather than later, just contact support and ask them to get it done.
Old 04-11-2015, 12:53 PM

I appreciate your response, thank you. I'd like to ask a follow up. My license privileges seemed very very well sorted out by Avid. I have not heard of any cases of mis-management of software licenses on their part prior to this. There seems to be a very tight lock on transferring, or downloading things I shouldn't be.

So, is there a more detailed explanation of how only the tracking of PT 12 upgrades got "screwed up?" I ask this, because I'm fascinated how this "screw up" would be nearly indistinguishable from a reticence or avoidance of providing something we've paid for without asking the customers to jump through hoops. I guess I'm just seeing a big coincidence that they screwed up in such a way, right? Did they just forget who upgraded when? This seems impossible.

One approach Avid could take that would be very quick and feasible, is query database for upgrades purchased on their store between x date and x date, followed by updating the web store database with "for all these customers, add PT 12". That seems like we'd solve it sooner than later.
Old 04-11-2015, 01:12 PM

I just wanted to let you know that your upgrade is already in your account. Please go to Products Not Yet Downloaded and click Download Now. Follow the prompts or check out http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/h...se-Activations for more info. Thanks!
Old 04-11-2015, 01:13 PM

Thanks! I work in technology as well, so I am there with you on that too. I have to tell you that my cynical side says there are always reasons, but I won't put my foot in mouth when I am not able to back it up. Thanks Jeffro - you were able to figure out who I was, huh? Can you run Avid, please?

Best wishes!
Old 04-11-2015, 01:19 PM

Quote:
I own PT11.

Hey MilesMusic,

The upgrade here provides new features and support for 1 year as well as a perpetual license. You own that and it continues to work even if you don't renew your Upgrade Plan. You do surrender your 11 license and you get a bundle as stated here. If you do not purchase the Upgrade and Support Plan beyond that your options are subscription or purchasing a new copy as stated here.

$899 is for a new copy (for those that don't have a previous version to upgrade from).

Hope this helps.
Old 04-17-2015, 04:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffro View Post
Hey MilesMusic,

The upgrade here provides new features and support for 1 year as well as a perpetual license. You own that and it continues to work even if you don't renew your Upgrade Plan. You do surrender your 11 license and you get a bundle as stated here. If you do not purchase the Upgrade and Support Plan beyond that your options are subscription or purchasing a new copy as stated here.

$899 is for a new copy (for those that don't have a previous version to upgrade from).

Hope this helps.
I'm on PT10 and I'm thinking of upgrading (or ditching PT altogether after 15 years because of the business model and pricing). If I update to PT12 I will own a perpetual license for PT12 (and 10, 11)? What happens if I let my support plan lapse? I understand that I will have access to all updates I have paid for (ie. within my period) but what happens after that? Will I be able to hop on the train again at any time counting from where I left? If Pro tools 13 is released during the time I'm not on subrcription will I have do dish out for a complete new perpetual license?

I have two licenses, one(PT9) for the studio and one(PT10) for my home/mix studio. My studio is located 420km from my house and I rent it out. I usually don't mess with my systems if they're solid thus I don't upgrade all that often but moneywise I think I have paid for every upgrade, having two separate licenses, since 5.2. This new support plan, if I understand it, will raise my expenses through the roof if I have to pay yearly and if I don't I have to pay for a full new license.

This is bad business for me and I think for Avid as well.