Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 01-27-2011, 08:18 PM

Default Small console consult

Looking to gear up our new Foley / Voice recording room and am torn between two configurations.

1 - 003 rack with Euphonix MC Control
2 - 003 console

I will be using the preamps in the 003 for now. Would there be any reason to go for the 003 as a console / control surface as opposed to the MC Control? We will only be running a maximum of 4 mics at a time and I am already quite used to and fond of the MC Control in the edit / mix rooms.

Also I will be buying the 003 (rack or console) used. Anything to look out for?

Cheers!
Old 01-27-2011, 10:32 PM

Default Re: Small console consult

i have the 003 rack and the mc control (and mcmix). I've done ADR for years on the 003 console. While it's a decent console, there's so much more you can do with the mc control. The only issue I can see with this is having is reaching for the gain knobs on the rack. But, if they're still easily accessable, no problemo. I LOVE being able to program macros and use the touch screen during the sessions.

P.S. You can use aux tracks feeding your record tracks for your mics. Set the faders to be your "gain knobs". You'll need to change it during whispers and yells but for the most part the faders work really well. I use VCAs to program "rehearse" "record" and "playback" modes. Each mode switches up what is going to the stage/headphones/control room/etc... I select the VCAs on the touch screen by soloing those VCA master tracks. I also use my softkeys to spot beeps to the timecode and to recall certain takes. I love it!

•2019 Mac Pro 3.5 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon W - 48 GB 2666 MHz DDR4 (OS 10.15.5) •HD Native PCIe, HD Omni, 192 I/o, Pro Tools Ultimate •Avid S3 + Dock •Blackmagic Intensity Pro (HDMI) •5.1 Room with JBL LSR4300 series

Additional Systems

•2010 Mac Pro 2 x 2.66 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon - 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 (OS 10.14.6) •HD Native PCIe, 192 I/o, 96 I/o, Pro Tools Ultimate •McMix (x4), McControl (x1), JLCooper Surround panner for D-Command ES, Avid Control •Blackmagic Intensity Pro (HDMI) •7.1.4 Room with JBL LSR4300 series

•2017 MacBook Pro 2.8 GHz i7 - 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 (OS 10.14.6) •HD Native TB, HD Omni, Pro Tools Ultimate •McMix (x1), McControl (x1), Avid Control * or * D-Command ES Main Unit •Fed into whichever system is the main system
Old 01-28-2011, 05:36 AM

Quote:
P.S. You can use aux tracks feeding your record tracks for your mics. Set the faders to be your "gain knobs". You'll need to change it during whispers and yells but for the most part the faders work really well. I use VCAs to program "rehearse" "record" and "playback" modes. Each mode switches up what is going to the stage/headphones/control room/etc... I select the VCAs on the touch screen by soloing those VCA master tracks. I also use my softkeys to spot beeps to the timecode and to recall certain takes. I love it!
Great tips, thanks!
Old 01-28-2011, 01:28 PM

Thanks 003 rack + Mc control it is Cheers
Old 01-28-2011, 01:29 PM

with 9 you could go with the MC Control and just about any interface you want
the SD USB Pre could be interesting if you're ADRing to tracks done with there field units

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig