Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-09-2005, 12:10 PM

Default KEM Flatbed and computer sync

I figured folks on this list could help me with the technical side of setting up a Film/Digital hybrid for editing purposes.

I'm no-budget filmmaker who prefers to cut film, but with the rising cost of mag, the uncertain future of mag, and the all digital modern mix environments I would like to slave my computer to run in sync with my KEM.

I have a friend in NY who edited a 35mm film on his KEM RS and Pro Tools 5.1 linked via audio card/888/USD. He cliamed when the flatbed reaches 23.5fps that PT will slave in sync with the KEM's picture.

I have a KEM RS from 1986 which I'm in the process of setting up to send bi-phase tach pulse via 25 pin connector to my Digidesign USD. I have an older version of Pro Tools with the critical setting "sync to external device", but what I have no knowlege and experience with is older audio cards.

I have a G4/533 running OS10.3 and as I mentioned PT v5.1. I need to know what audio card will interface well between the PT version I have and a Digidesign 882 or 888?

Can anyone help???

Best,
Alain in Portland, Oregon
Old 12-09-2005, 12:40 PM

Default Re: KEM Flatbed and computer sync

You said you have a USD. Do you have any other digidesign hardware or computer interface cards and/or cables? Please list what you have. One other issue, assuming you have the hardware you need, is that 5.1 software cannot run on OSX, it is best on OS9.1 or 9.2.
Old 12-09-2005, 12:51 PM

You need something like a BIF from rosendahl. A small box that converts bi-phase to TC. It will generate TC and clock your mix system.

http://www.bonsaidrive.com/bif.html

frank.
Old 12-09-2005, 02:19 PM

Quote:
You said you have a USD. Do you have any other digidesign hardware or computer interface cards and/or cables? Please list what you have. One other issue, assuming you have the hardware you need, is that 5.1 software cannot run on OSX, it is best on OS9.1 or 9.2.

Thanks.

I'm aware that v5.1 will not run on OSX. I've been operating this application in the Classic environment on a partitioned HD.

As for hardware....

KEM counter with bi-phase out (25 pin connector)
Digidesign USD

I need...

25 pin cable from counter to USD
cable from USD to 882 or 888 (what cable I don't know yet)
cable from 882/888 to computer card (what card I don't know yet)
audio card for interfacing Pro Tools v5.1 with 882/888

Alain
Old 12-09-2005, 02:21 PM

Quote:
You need something like a BIF from rosendahl. A small box that converts bi-phase to TC. It will generate TC and clock your mix system.

http://www.bonsaidrive.com/bif.html

frank.

Frank,

I thought this was the job of the USD, no? To convert bi-phase tech into TC for Pro Tools functionality.

Alain
Old 12-09-2005, 04:45 PM

or this from JSK
http://www.jskengineering.com/produc...ges/prod01.htm

The USD/SYNC I/O are less that perfect dealing with bi-phase.

Wire it up and see if yours works if so great

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 12-09-2005, 04:48 PM

Craig,
The JSK 1128B is what I use at "The Dub Stage" to lock my Film Projector and my Pro Tools HD Accel systems together.
It works great!
IMDB http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0401937/
Like everything in life, there are no guarantees just opportunities.
Old 12-09-2005, 04:50 PM

and Jim is a real nice guy

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 12-09-2005, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Poster: Craig F
Subject: Re: KEM Flatbed and computer sync

and Jim is a real nice guy
He made a custom chip for me and dropped it by . I was real impressed on the level of service and his knowledge.
IMDB http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0401937/
Like everything in life, there are no guarantees just opportunities.
Old 12-09-2005, 05:01 PM

Biphase should be able to run Pro Tools through your USD. I have not used biphase but I have heard that it works okay. You will probably need to wire your own cable, or have someone do it, for the biphase into USD. I don't know about the KEM, but you should be able to find the USD pinouts in a manual. You will be able to find all manuals you need at this link. All information I am going to mention is contained in various manuals, including the USD, 888, 882, startup, and user guides. I suggest you dig in and start reading!

You should look for a "mix core" card. It is possible to use an earlier d24 card+farm card combo, but I suggest you try to find a mix core instead. The capabilities of a single core card are limited, used mostly for audio in and out, so if you want to run processing plug ins the processing power can be greatly suplimented with a "mix farm" card, that plugs in another computer slot next to the core card. In that case you need a "tdm cable" to connect the two cards together.

Either an 888 or 882 interface will work when plugged into the mix core or d24 card. An interface cable was always shipped with each interface.

You should be able to buy either type of cable from digi if you need them. You will also need a standard "mac serial" cable to connect between your USD and the mix core card.

I hope this helps you on your way. Because you do not have a number of these items, you may want to consider purchasing an entire used "mix system" from someone. Ebay? If it is a complete working system, all of these components will be ready to go. You can add your USD and mac serial cable to it.