Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-26-2001, 07:00 AM

Default stereo or mon aux channels?

I recorded a guitar track with two mics on the amp. I sent each mic to a seperate mono channel, effectively creating a stereo mix. To sub these, do I bus them to a stereo bus and then assign to a stereo Aux channel? Or can I use a mono bus nad mono Aux channel. I tried both they both work. But what is the proper way to do this? All I can tell is that you can see the level of each tack in a stereo aux independently. But it sure seems easier to use mon aux xhannels when you have to mix 3 of these stereo guitar tracks.
What do you think?
Thanks!
Old 06-26-2001, 07:53 AM

Default Re: stereo or mon aux channels?

I am not sure I understand what you want to accomplish in what you call the "sub mix." When I record a stereo source I create a stereo channel and use stereo aux ins for effects, and use stereo plugins on the stereo audio tracks. Stereo tracks are not available in PTLE 5.01, but are available in version 5.1. Using stereo tracks will probably clarify your bussing confusion. Then agaian, there are probably lots of creative things you can do using mono audio channels as well. So, tell us a bit more specifically what you want to do and we will be happy to give you some suggestions.
Old 06-26-2001, 09:58 AM

Default Re: stereo or mon aux channels?

I think it depends on whether you want to "spread" the 2-3 tracks in a stereo field.

If you just want to mix the tracks together (close and room mic, for instance), then a mono aux should be fine. If you want to pan the room mic to the left and the close mic to the right, you'll have to use a stereo aux and pan each input track accordingly.

There IS no "right" way.

PT 2021; MacBookPro M1; 16GB; Spectrasonics; Native Instruments, Toontrack, Waves...too many plugins.