Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools | Intro Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-24-2021, 03:28 PM

Default Wy can't i select a different output?

Hi all, i'm trying Pro Tools out for the first time (recommendation from a friend) as i have been using a different product for years. I'm running a Windows 10 PC. The only problem i'm having is playback. The software insists on using the SPDIF output which i don't use (as my mixing desk has no digital input). The analogue stereo output is selectable in the "playback engine" settings, and when i pick it the software tells me it has to restart for the new setting to take effect, but when it does restart it's back to using the SPDIF output again. As a result i can't hear what i've recorded. Can someone please advise?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg screencap1.JPG (30.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg screencap2.JPG (26.5 KB, 0 views)
Old 06-24-2021, 06:32 PM

Default Re: Wy can't i select a different output?

Can't say for sure, but a couple of things to consider:
1-try opening Windows Sound Properties and set the Default Playback Device to NONE. That will free up the realtek sound card so Pro Tools can take it over.
2-using an actual interface is likely to produce much better results and fewer headaches. This is for 2 reasons:
A-so Windows can use Realtek(so you don't lose Windows audio)
B-the analog output(which you are trying to use) on most built-in sound cards is quite crappy.

I actually use the digital(optical SPDIF) output of my sound card for all non-PT audio(routed thru a Presonus Central Station) which does sound equal to my Pro Tools output(with a real interface). Back many years ago, I was using the mini-TRS output for Windows audio and it was noisy and crappy sounding, but the SPDIF output sounds great.

Lastly, while you may be able to run Pro Tools without a separate interface, 2 things remain true; #1-using a dedicated interface really improves everything, and #2-PT First is VERY limited when compared to regular Pro Tools(and about every other DAW out there). Its little more than a teaser and basing whether or not to buy PT on that is likely to not make for an accurate assessment of the program(better to try the free 30-day demo of the full version, especially if you already have an iLok)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 06-24-2021, 07:02 PM

Thx Dave. Appreciate the advice.

Yes, i've already tried many changes in Windows sound properties. I even went as far as disabling the SPDIF interface and leaving only the line-out interface enabled. It (somehow) made absolutely no difference to the output list in PT.

The other output (speakers) is a real interface. It's the analogue line-out interface. When running the other studio software i have (been using for many years) i've never had any sound issues for what i do.

It's sounding like the only way forward is to buy a DAC. The thing is the only reason i use my studio is to write and then record a demo. I take those to a proper studio when i have a whole album and record them properly. I have no need for mindblowing audio in my studio. It's really just to get the ideas down and given my limited time (i have a day job), i only churn out an album every few years or so. I was trying to see if the huge outlay for this software is really worth it in my case. It's looking like it may not be, especially with problems like this.

Again, really appreciate the help.
Old 06-25-2021, 01:39 AM

Please watch video from member benoni to fix your problem. Unless you have a audio interface you have to install a asio4all driver and your good to go

https://youtu.be/uCim46I4iRc

Best

MacBook Pro 13, Mid 2012, 16 GB, 250 GB Crucial MX
macOs Sonoma 14.4.1 / Windows 11
Wavelab 11.2 Elements

Music was my first love - shine on
Old 06-25-2021, 05:27 AM

As previously mentioned, i have two outputs to pick from (as shown in the attached pics). The problem is i can pick one but not the other. I'm afraid that video does not apply.

Aside from that, my audio adapter already has an ASIO driver to pick from (Realtek ASIO), but when i select it, PT complains that it could not initialize it and i have to restart the app.

I also tried asio4all (because i was searching this forum for answers a couple of days ago) and all it did was crash PT every time i tried to open a project, most likely because it conflicts with the existing interfaces.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg screencap1.JPG (30.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg screencap2.JPG (26.5 KB, 0 views)
Old 06-25-2021, 07:10 AM

As previously mentioned, i have two outputs to pick from (as shown in the attached pics). The problem is i can pick one but not the other. I'm afraid that video does not apply.

Aside from that, my audio adapter already has an ASIO driver to pick from (Realtek ASIO), but when i select it, PT complains that it could not initialize it and i have to restart the app.

I also tried asio4all (because i was searching this forum for answers a couple of days ago) and all it did was crash PT every time i tried to open a project, most likely because it conflicts with the existing interfaces.
Old 06-25-2021, 09:31 AM

You would likely solve all issue by getting a dedicated interface for Pro Tools(something I always recommend)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave