Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-29-2002, 01:34 PM

Default I HAD the money :)

Whelp Roy - you were right. I went down to Best Buy, and sure enough they had a WD 80 gig hd for $89 so I grabbed it. I could have spent more, but I should be fine with whatI have now. I am not installing it today so if anyone has a beef with Western Digital, don't tell me. I already spent the rest of tthe money on some double coil pick-ups for one of my guitars and a new mouse for my PT system.

Now I would like some advise on installing it. My idea was to run them both together and keeping my waves on the 80 gig, and have the rest of my system on the existing 30 gig. Is this how its done? Or should I have pro-tools and my waves on the 80 together?? I am sure pro-tools has a place to tell it where to look for the waves too.
If you guys in your kindness just relate to me some experience in this I sure would - once again - be in your debt. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Thanks in advance,
Kev

Old 12-29-2002, 01:40 PM

Default Re: I HAD the money :)

i keep all my protools files (recordings) on my G:/ (30gig) and when i bounce to disk i bounce it to my C:/ (80gig)im thinking of reversing that though causei'm almost out of space on the 30.

i wanna go get a 120gig and match that w/ my 80gig and be happy for most of eterity [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-29-2002, 02:12 PM

Congrats on the new HDD! It should make your system even more powerful and flexible.

The "normal" way is with the smaller HDD (ie, your 30 GB) as the "C" or system drive. This will hold all of your programs (including Pro Tools), and can also be used as a additional "backup" drive for secondary backup copies - 1st Law of DIgital Backups: If it doesn't exist in AT LEAST two places, then it doesn't EXIST! [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

The larger ("D", ie, your new 80 GB) HDD is the "audio and PT data files only" drive. Set PT to use this as your default recording drive. You can back up from this drive to CD-R's and to the "C" drive. If the drive gets full, just backup and delete what you're not currently working on. With a FAST burner like a Plextor or Sony 40 - 48X, you can back up a typical project in 5 - 10 minutes - even if it needs two CD-R's to store everything.

A 80 GB drive can hold a LOT of data... but even that will eventually fill up. That 30 GB drive is probably going to have some free space available too - programs aren't THAT big - at least compared to multitracked 24 bit digital audio sessions. I run a 60 GB C and 80 GB D, and back up from the D drive to the C drive and CD-R's I occasionally (throughout the day as I'm working) backup / save the session to the C drive, as well as to the D drive - that way, even if one of the drives crashed and burned, I'd still have access to the latest work we did, and will have only lost what was done since the latest backup. When I'm done with the project, I back it up on to CD-R's, but I may go to a DVD burner and removeable IEEE 1394 drive soon for compatability reasons.

This is the "traditional" approach, its well organized and it works well for many people (myself included), but it's not the "only" way - use what works for you and makes sense to you - just remember to record to that D drive instead of the C, and you'll make things easier on the whole system. And back your data up.

Digidesign recommends placing the C drive and D drive on the same 80 wire / 40 pin IDE cable, with the C drive set as Master (at the end of the cable) and the D drive set as Slave (in the middle of the cable), and with that cable plugged into the mobo's Primary IDE connector. You would then install any CD/Rom's or CD'RW drives on the mobo's Secondary IDE connector n a similar manner. Make sure DMA is enabled for ALL drives.

Some mobos get even better results when a Promise TX2 controller card is used, with each drive (C and D) connected, via their own cable, to the two ports on the Promise controller, and the mobo's standard IDE connectors being used only for the CD drives.

When you format the new drive, FAT 32 or NTFS really won't make a HUGE difference. FWIW, I run NTFS on all my drives (Win XP Home OS) and it works fine. You can partition that 80 GB down to four 20 GB drives, which can make organization and defrags a bit easier and faster.

Well, that should cover it... let me know if you have any other questions, and good luck.

PT 2023.6 Ultimate (Perpetual) | Avid Carbon | M1 Max Mac Studio; 32 GB RAM / 1 TB SSD, macOS 13.4.1 Ventura.

PT 2023.6 Studio (Perpetual) | M1 MacBook Air; 16 GB RAM / 1 TB SSD, macOS 13.4.1 Ventura.
Old 12-29-2002, 02:19 PM

wow!!! Thanks Phil. I wish I wasnt so tired or I would be pulling it apart right now. Thanks so much for your advise!!
Hopefully tomorrow night and I will have it all up and running!!! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Old 12-29-2002, 02:28 PM

Phil - I have a stupid question.
What is DMA?
no flames from the A+ guys out there. [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] I am an artist not a scientist [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
i just know strings and chords!!

Old 12-29-2002, 04:12 PM

Just cruzin' thru and read your thread graveleye. There are some great sites on the net explaining PC related terms. Try Seagate for a start.

Direct Memory Access (DMA) allows a peripheral to directly transfer data to the system’s memory without control from the system processor. DMA increases speed by using the DMA controller to manager the data transfer rather than the processor. The operating system must have a DMA capable driver installed before DMA can be used.

Hey you guys are still in yesterday!!!!! 08:15 30 Dec 2002 Perth Western Australia.
Old 12-29-2002, 05:04 PM

you easterners!!
thanks scoob - you da man!!
[img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Old 12-29-2002, 07:53 PM

Alright, graveleye! I envy you now, because I can sure use just one more HD myself. Sounds like Phil's got you covered on getting it set up, too. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Old 12-31-2002, 03:06 PM

agggg %^$^&&$&(
no 3" slot available...no adapter brackets for the 5"
New Years Eve
no hard drive tonight. Oh well...still 11 gigs left on the 30g.