Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 04-21-2005, 05:43 AM

Default Those PC\'s....

Hi guys,
All started with myself having troubles with 2 music apps: Acid 5.0 and Reaktor.
But than were some other issues with my laptop. Incl. with Pro Tools LE / M-box.
So I decide "to do something":
I did a back-up of my system on my FW Maxtor hard drive.
Than I use the Toshiba "recovery" DVD to start my system from scratch.
It went OK, except the fact that I've got the same problem like before:
restart does not respond properly. The computer turns black and it hangs.
So I have to turn it off / on manually. (Getting, of course the warning: "you turned off your computer in a wrong way...").
This, and not (always) being able to do system restore, was a "bug" I had already when I bought my laptop. Many times, after installing new programs that require restart, my laptop hangs like above.
Than, I realized that after recovery, I had only one drive (C). I mean, when I bought this laptop (new from the store!) it has 2 partitions (C and D).
I tried to find some utility for initializing the hard drive and make partitions, but I couldn't find it.
I called tech support (Sweden), but they could not help !!!???.
But they were aware of the fact that the recovery makes only one partition.
And the guy I talked to keep on saying: "I am sorry, but I don't know how to help you with this" and "It's really a shame that you cannot get the same configuration when you use recovery DVD..., etc., etc...". Great help )):-
I would like to have only one partition, but I guess I need two if I want to restore my old system from the Maxtor HD. Right?
I have to say that I am very disappointed with the tech support in Sweden generally! I had some issues with a LaCie DVD burner and iDVD for a while ago. While the Swedish guy was only guessing (on my account), I've got finally the real help (over the net) from LaCie USA (!).
That's way I am not so happy about the idea of living back my laptop to the store - for checking.
It may be some stuff I could fix myself. With your help, maybe!?
I am not so much in to PC's and XP.
But, maybe with a bit of guiding...
Like BIOS update. How to do it ? it will help? etc, etc...
Anyway, after recovering I installed both Acid and Reaktor and it looks like they work well. So, it may be something wrong with my old configuration after all.
Still, my laptop needs some help generally...
Grateful for any tip!
Here is a link to my laptop:
http://www.tabone.com.mt/notebooks/s40231.htm
Thanks in advance!
/P