Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Licensing & Accounts
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-31-2015, 02:50 PM

Default Pro Tools 12 Upgrade and Support Plan

So I just updated to PT 12 before the increase and on my receipt is says my subscription will be charge monthly. I thought I was buying the Complete upgrade to what I had PT11. Is this true? I am not paying monthly for something I already own outright. I have been reading but I can't find anything...

Last edited by jeffro; 12-31-2015 at 04:49 PM. Reason: Edit the thread title since you bought an Upgrade and Support Plan, not a Subscription.
Old 12-31-2015, 03:03 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools 12 Subscription

Why is this so hard to find stuff on? Am I searching the wrong stuff or is it Avid's way of cheating us out of more money? I want to cancel my upgrade if I have to pay monthly and just use my PT11.
Old 12-31-2015, 03:44 PM

No one is cheating you and google is your friend

https://www.avid.com/US/products/pro...ware/licensing

You simply didnt choose the right option. Information has been public for a year now and highly debated here and in many other places since it was announced. Not mentionning all the online advertising.

Wave-T.com
Old 12-31-2015, 04:15 PM

Yep, and it was also debated ad nauseum throughout that period that it was clear as mud. Also, it changed several times.

But don't let that get in the way of blaming the customer. It's not a very good business strategy though.

AVID: "Where the customer is always wrong!"

Hope you get it sorted Adam.
Old 12-31-2015, 04:46 PM

Welcome to the community.

I found your order and it's not a Subscription it's a Pro Tools Annual Upgrade and Support Plan. There is no monthly fee for this, and it includes a perpetual/non-expiring license bundle (v10/11/12). You have the option to renew your plan at the end of 1 year, but your PT licenses will continue to work regardless (note that as stated on the store page, the plug-in bundle and support are available while on an active plan).
Old 01-01-2016, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffro View Post
Welcome to the community.

I found your order and it's not a Subscription it's a Pro Tools Annual Upgrade and Support Plan. There is no monthly fee for this, and it includes a perpetual/non-expiring license bundle (v10/11/12). You have the option to renew your plan at the end of 1 year, but your PT licenses will continue to work regardless (note that as stated on the store page, the plug-in bundle and support are available while on an active plan).
so if someone has a license already for pro tools 12 then the update to 12.4 should be available then with no issues? or is that not the case...
Old 01-01-2016, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emcha_audio View Post
No one is cheating you and google is your friend

https://www.avid.com/US/products/pro...ware/licensing

You simply didnt choose the right option. Information has been public for a year now and highly debated here and in many other places since it was announced. Not mentionning all the online advertising.
respectfully, that page is far more complex than it should be.

little micro-companies with only a handful of employees have managed to explain their pricing schemes in ways that don't leave room for confusion.

a $300 million NASDAQ-traded company with an actual marketing department should be able to come up with something easier to parse.

OP is far from the only person who's been confused by this stuff. there are dozens if not hundreds of DUC posts about it, and only a small percentage of users end up here to begin with.
Old 01-01-2016, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaren View Post
so if someone has a license already for pro tools 12 then the update to 12.4 should be available then with no issues? or is that not the case...
Pro Tools 12.4 is available to anyone on a current Upgrade Plan or Subscription.
Old 02-28-2016, 01:49 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools 12 Upgrade and Support Plan

Yeah it's really hard to find stuff on I've been racking my brain trying to find info and was in the same boat here's the way I understand the upgrade and support plan is not the same as the subscription plan. It's very confusing especially since one was $199 and one is $300 a year so we are all looking at it going is it auto renew? is it $200 or $300 a year? will we now be charged monthly for it? I was so lost and this is the first post I've seen that cleared it up maybe stick a note anywhere saying it's not a auto renewable thing. While I understand allot of the customers are studio users and big time guys who don't care and at $25 a month it's a hell of a deal allot more of us are home users who are well just writing at home and every dime counts. The march subscription push goes to tax time when we have spare cash and go yep time to upgrade and into the second year go ummmm can we wait till 14 comes out (I would guess we upgrade every other time if not less).
Old 02-28-2016, 01:54 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools 12 Upgrade and Support Plan

I also think it's the word annual that's triggering the auto renew idea in our head we see annual and subscription together and our heads explode it say's auto renew also doesn't help if went paypal route and the receipt is very vague.

ps thank you jeffro for clearing some of this up