Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 09-01-2010, 07:57 AM

Default FCP, OMF & volume automation

Should you be able to use "convert clip based gain to automation" with an OMF coming from FCP?

The session I've just imported has all volume changes from the FCP edit rendered into the exported audio files and nothing I've tried gets the source at unity. The client is going to re-do it but are there any specific settings they need to check?

(Sorry if this has been done before.)
Old 09-01-2010, 08:02 AM

Default Re: FCP, OMF & volume automation

Might be wrong as I haven't looked at it in awhile but I think there's an option to include/exclude volume info when the omf is made in FCP?
Old 09-01-2010, 10:56 AM

always remember seeing that option, as it's what I always check when importing - 'convert clip based gain to automation'

I think either you must have missed it when importing, or he mistakenly bounced the audio destructively - though I'm not that familiar with FCP, so I'm inclined to say re-try.

I think that option is there regardless of source, it's part of the specification
Old 09-02-2010, 02:00 AM

D'Animation - do you know which results in the files being "re-rendered" and which can be converted to automation?

mikevarela - It's definitely something to do with the export from FCP, not the import into PT. I've always used "convert clip based gain to automation" (and I know it was checked when I did the import ... and when I redid it as soon as the problem became apparent) but I'm more used to OMFs coming from Avid and editors who are used to handling them.
Old 09-02-2010, 02:37 AM

All the video suites here are FCP. Due to this problem with writing volume information into the file itself we have found it easier to tell the editors to erase all volume information from their timelines before they export from FCP. In there are any regions that are not supposed to be heard then we ask them to remove these regions from the timeline. Although this method kills the mix creativity of the video editor we have found that for the most part the balance created by them is poor to say the least. Also, this way files don't come in at digital zero which renders them rather difficult to sweeten with any form of additive processing.
Regards, Nick
Mac M1 Studio Ultra 64GB RAM OSX 13.6, PT Ultimate 2023.12 HDn, MTRX Studio, 2x Avid S1, PT Dock...
Old 09-02-2010, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by idris View Post
D'Animation - do you know which results in the files being "re-rendered" and which can be converted to automation?
Not off the top of my head as I never want their automation so never had the problem - if I can grab one of them tomorrow I'll let you know
Old 09-02-2010, 01:54 PM

Thanks.
FWIW I sometimes find the automation useful to figure out what the hell the editor intended ... and then throw it away.
Old 09-03-2010, 02:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D'Animation View Post
Not off the top of my head as I never want their automation so never had the problem - if I can grab one of them tomorrow I'll let you know
OK, so in FCP if the editors go File:export:audio to OMF it brings up a window with an option to "include volume levels/automation" aswell as crossfades options and handle length. As i said - I never have them tick any of the options so I don't know if ticking the volume option results in rendered files or volume info etc but I imagine thats the option to be playing with
Old 09-03-2010, 03:39 AM

Thanks.
Old 09-03-2010, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D'Animation View Post
OK, so in FCP if the editors go File:export:audio to OMF it brings up a window with an option to "include volume levels/automation" aswell as crossfades options and handle length. As i said - I never have them tick any of the options so I don't know if ticking the volume option results in rendered files or volume info etc but I imagine thats the option to be playing with
I always have the editors check all of these boxes (personal preference) and have never encountered your specific problem.

The "include volume levels/automation" box is what includes the editors volume levels so that when choose "convert clip based gain to automation" in protools, it shows up as your volume automation.

Fade box gives you the editors fades.

Handle length determines how much 'time' you can trim out from each region. (very useful in my opinion to have at least a couple seconds to work with if your editing/mixing)