Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-25-2006, 09:27 PM

Default all in one mastering suite

i currently use the L1+Ultramaximizer for mastering and it is quite useful but just isn't cutting it. i need major label quality levels for under 1k. can it be done?
Old 01-25-2006, 10:21 PM

Default Re: all in one mastering suite

> i currently use the L1+Ultramaximizer for mastering and it is quite useful but just isn't cutting it.<

For mastering, I would wait for the new TC MD3 multi-band compressor/Brickwall Limiter bundle. Street price for the TDM version is about $1,300. It should be available very soon. This is a true mastering plugin ported from the TC Mastering 6000. I heard it at the NAMM show and was very impressed.

>i need major label quality levels for under 1k. can it be done?<

Umm, I'm not sure if "major label quality" is actually something to strive for these days. Crushing music to within an inch of it's life to satisfy an A&R meeting is becoming the bane of many people's existence. (Oops, that's for another thread)
Old 01-25-2006, 11:21 PM

Quote:
i need major label quality levels for under 1k. can it be done?
two words: mastering engineer.
Old 01-26-2006, 06:06 AM

Quote:
i currently use the L1+Ultramaximizer for mastering and it is quite useful but just isn't cutting it. i need major label quality levels for under 1k. can it be done?
Levels aren't achieved by one limiter alone regardless of whether it's an L1, L2, L3 or TC6000. If the mastering engineer is talented then he will know how to use a variety of different stages to increase levels so that hardly any limiting is needed or required. The right mastering engineer will know how to do this without degrading the transparency of the audio.

If you want to talk more about getting your music professionally mastered, shoot me an email.

Matt

www.matthewgraymastering.com

Brisbane Australia
Old 01-26-2006, 06:21 AM

Quote:
jfreak nailed it. for a thousand buck or more, you could get a quality mastering engineer. experience and know-how, as well as the right tools are what makes agreat mastering engineer. a great room, great monitoring, digital and analog tools. this is how they get major label work.

i want a world class luxury automobile for under 8k, but i ain't gonna get it. there are reasons why these things can't be had for under 1k
Undertone on Facebook
Undertone Custom Sound Libraries

"Groupable markers would be epochal!"
-Starcrash
Old 01-26-2006, 09:29 AM

I think your MIXES probably arent label worthy if you're thinking mastering is going to help your mixes. a good ME will make the stuff sound better but mediocre ME's will if anything generally smash the dynamics o0ut of them add lots of highs.