Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-15-2004, 02:37 PM

Default trident s100

I was thinking about this piece, and wondering if it would be good for me.

What I'd like to do is to start building/buying some hardware pieces, comp, reverb, etc. I thought I would get an analog console. I thought this might be kind of cool, maybe do submixes out of ptle into the trident console, have its eq, overall signal path, and the hardware signal processing, then back into pt.

Granted I'd need 8 channels of a/d d/a (ideally) to go with it, but I was wondering if any of you guys (and ladies) work this way. Would 8 channels not be enough?

I think it might be ok for me. I don't use a lot of midi, I don't use TONs of plugs, 98% of the plugs I add are comp and reverb, the very occasional delay, phaser or something else. I mean, the limit of 8 channels would be a drag, but it's a trident console, so you would get that sound.

thoughts?

bp
Old 09-15-2004, 04:33 PM

Default Re: trident s100

My only thought would be that you would be limited to 8 channels of Trident. May want to rethink and be a little more versatile with the pre's ya know? That is my only thoughts! That is why I bought the Apogee and went that route. lots of different 2 channels that give flavor, and 1 8 channel ya know.

Hope it helps... Really think about what you are going to be focused on in the recording side..

- Doc

MONUMENT SOUND ON YOUTUBE

Monument Sound Facebook

"Changing how people hear music one track at a time"
Old 09-15-2004, 04:53 PM

While it's an attractive board with a reputable name, I think you could do better with that money. I'd even explore quality plugs a little deeper (waves, PSP, Sony, URS Neve, etc.) and keep things simple. For that price, you can even get a used Soundcraft Ghost, Midas Venice or even an Allen & Heath (Mix Wizard is only like $900, then you get into the GL and SL series).

I'd love to start mixing out of the box more than the next guy, belive me, but so many things come into play if you really want the quality to shine as a result of all the effort it takes.

- you need great converters, both AD and DA.
- you need great cables and snakes
- you need great ouboard processors (eq and comp)

It gets hairy when you start factoring in all that stuff. If you have the cash to spare then by all means, dive in, otherwise, I'd say get the best recordings you can and improve on things like monitoring, converters and plugins. You'd be surprised at how good things can sound inside the box!
Old 09-16-2004, 04:47 AM

Quote:
My only thought would be that you would be limited to 8 channels of Trident. May want to rethink and be a little more versatile with the pre's ya know? That is my only thoughts! That is why I bought the Apogee and went that route. lots of different 2 channels that give flavor, and 1 8 channel ya know.

Hope it helps... Really think about what you are going to be focused on in the recording side..

- Doc
I would actually be more interested in mixing. I have a couple other preamps, so I wouldn't be using the trident pres 100%, it would be to have the ability to do analog summing that attracts me.

I'm just not wild about plugs in general, especially as an investment. I did a little reading, and some people weren't nuts about the trident, so I'll have to keep looking. I just think eventually it will pay off.

bp
Old 09-16-2004, 07:26 AM

For analog summing I would look into the API or the Dangerous Audio stuff for that...

- Doc

MONUMENT SOUND ON YOUTUBE

Monument Sound Facebook

"Changing how people hear music one track at a time"
Old 09-16-2004, 07:33 AM

I would concentrate on a 2 channel recording chain with ADDA. look into lavry or the new rosetta. Get a great stereo Pre like an Aurora GTQ2

http://auroraaudio.net/aa_html/aa_products_gtq2.html

and maybe some nice stereo treatment like a EL Fatso. Once you are in the box, I would stay there unless you got a great set of converters and a great desk. That will make all of you tracks slam before they get to the computer.
Old 09-16-2004, 08:42 AM

I have a great river pre, and 2 channels of ad/da will be up next.

The thing is that I want to use hardware comp/eq and reverb in the mix.

I have a pretty good signal going in.

I've been reading on other forums, not a lot of direct experience, but apparently Oram is not a very good company to do business with, an lot of QC issues.

philly, what do you think about this?

I'm sure it's a lot better than the trident, probably comparable (in quality and cost) to the manley 16x2.

also, does the cranesong spider have a/d and d/a built into it?

thanks.