Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-17-2002, 10:24 PM

Default 002 converters vs apogee mini me converters

I dont have either of these products but I am really interested in the mini me. if I get the 002 will the mini me improve the sound. or will there be much difference
in quality.
Old 12-17-2002, 11:48 PM

Default Re: 002 converters vs apogee mini me converters

check here

and here

and still here

these should give you a great starting point with the mini me

good luck
Old 12-18-2002, 06:48 PM

I have read those threads, thanks. let me rephrase
my question. I have an 001 and everbody says the
converters are much better on the 002. If I upgrade
to the 002 will I still need to get a mini me or rosetta.
is there a big difference between the quality of the 002
converters as apposed to the mini me conversion.
Old 12-18-2002, 07:15 PM

Westgate,
Your best bet would be to buy the MiniME, and and a control surface to you 001. MiniME converters and Pres are better than the 002. So rumor has it.

Toecat
Old 12-18-2002, 07:31 PM

If you own a Digi001, you're best bet is to put the money that you would pay for a Digi002 into a converer and control surface....that is why the lightpipe option is there is to upgrade multi-channel converters. The MiniMe is a killer product. In fact, some pretty high-end guys have picked a few of these up from us lately. While I can't publically release their names, one of them sang for one of the biggest rock band of all time... While not quite the Rosetta, the MiniMe is going to be a HUGE hit for Apogee as it will make it even more affordable to get into a professional quality A/D converter AND a mic-pre too! The only thing that can compete with Apogee quality (from Digi) is the 192I/O IMHO and even that is subjective. I really do like the sound of the 192I/O for HD, but I'm an Apogee guy though too..... Digidesign provides an affordable all in one hardware and software solution with the Digi001 and Digi002, not to be the best pres or best converters out there.

The beauty of the Digi001 is that you are not limited to what is on it when you buy it, there are several expansion routes to take. That to me is a very well thought out product and a great investment. Buy a MiniMe, try it out, and take it back to the place you buy it from if you're not impressed...... if you're not impressed, then it aint the converter
Old 12-18-2002, 09:09 PM

OK, I gotta disagree with ekko. I don't know if there is one thing that altered my sound more than my converters. Since the transformation from analog to digital is so delicate and important, money should not be skimped there. I myself use an apogee rosetta and I find that the converters and the word clock have imroved my sound immeasurably. I would save the money and buy an apogee rosetta and a great mic pre like a brent averill neve unit and maybe a rode NTK. Then you will see what aural pleasure is all about.
Old 12-19-2002, 06:51 PM

Thanks for the advice. I guess the best way to go until I can afford HD is 002 with rosseta or mini me. I wanna ask you guys that swithched from 001 to 002 how you
feel about recording at a higher sampling rate. Pro's
and Cons . Thanks Again
Old 12-19-2002, 08:29 PM

you know ekko, all that signal path stuff IS crucial, but you have to remember that you are working in a digital medium, & the most crucial part of the process IS the conversion. & without it, you ain't gonna hear the improvement the other stuff has made. period. and for the guy lookin' into the mini-me, a GREAT (and more flexible) alternative for the same $ is the lucid ad9624 and fmr's rnp (really nice pre). i think you'll find the rnp will give you more options sonically, and the lucid converter is every bit as good as apogee's converter's in the same price range. a lot of professional engineers actually prefer it, and that's at least enough of a good reason to go have a listen. i love mine! good luck,

ml
Old 12-19-2002, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by M Lawrence:
you know ekko, all that signal path stuff IS crucial, but you have to remember that you are working in a digital medium, & the most crucial part of the process IS the conversion. & without it, you ain't gonna hear the improvement the other stuff has made. period. and for the guy lookin' into the mini-me, a GREAT (and more flexible) alternative for the same $ is the lucid ad9624 and fmr's rnp (really nice pre). i think you'll find the rnp will give you more options sonically, and the lucid converter is every bit as good as apogee's converter's in the same price range. a lot of professional engineers actually prefer it, and that's at least enough of a good reason to go have a listen. i love mine! good luck,

ml
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">ML
You seem quite familiar with both so I'd like to ask what it is that you prefer about the Lucid and the rnp over the Rosetta/ other pre's sonically, warmth vs. clarity, etc. that sort of thing. Thanks.
80 G Seagate internal HD
60 G IBM Deskstar internal HD
40 G Buslink (Seagate)FW ext.HD
Old 12-19-2002, 11:33 PM

Quote:
not really. last nite i chucked a pultec over a ****** snare and successfully polished a turd. i didnt change the converters, are you telling me i couldnt hear the difference? im not arguing that converters wont affect the sound, im arguing that there are much better ways to improve sound than converters. i would rather record an album with a stack of mics and some nice outboard straight into 001 converters than blow cash on a rosetta with a couple mics. i can think of a dozen things to buy before converters.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Ekko if you were able to do that try adding an A/D converter to it, it will night and day, Go test it for yourself with that last mix of yours
Joel