Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools | Duet & Pro Tools | Quartet

Old 09-17-2014, 08:35 AM

Default how to get only the interface?

Hi!

Iīm a PT user since v5/Digi001 days. Currently i use PT11 and iīm interested in the Quartet. This seems a perfect solution for me! I need max 12 inputs @ 96/24 (4Mic preamps of Quartet and 8 via ADAT/SMUX), i donīt need 8, i donīt need 16!
And in some situations is carrying a 19" device a PITA...

But i canīt see an option for just buying the device! Is this possible?
I know there is an Apogee branded version of the Quartet but i read that the ProTools I/O Control will not work with that version of Quartet, donīt know why...
Isnīt that just a firmware/software difference? Is it possible to use I/O Control and Avid drivers with the silver Apogee Quartet?
MacBook Pro i7 Quad 2.6GHz 16GB RAM
ProTools 2020.11
Avid S1
Avid Dock
Avid Control
Digidesign Command|8
macOS Catalina
MOTU 4pre
MOTU Track16
Axiom Pro 25
LinnStrument 128
Roli Seaboard Block

tons of stomp boxes
tube amps
guitars
noise
Old 09-17-2014, 08:53 AM

Default Re: how to get only the interface?

I addressed this issue in another post, but you may not have seen it. Here is info straight from Avid on their FAQ about these units:

I own a Duet/Quartet from Apogee can I get a copy of Pro Tools IO Control so I can control the interface from my Artist Series controllers via EUCON?

Pro Tools IO Control software is only compatible with the black, Avid branded Pro Tools | Duet and Pro Tools | Quartet interfaces and does not work with standalone Apogee interfaces which are supported by Maestro software.

Can I download Windows drivers for my Duet/Quartet Apogee interfaces?

Only the black Avid branded interfaces from the Pro Tools | Duet and Pro Tools | Quartet solutions can utilize the windows drivers. The silver standalone interfaces from Apogee only work with Mac OSX or iOS.

And there is no way to just buy the new interfaces without Protools. If you want to use these this way you would need to:

1. Sell your existing silver one
2. Buy the new units
3. Sell the Protools software activation code that is bundled with the new units.
4. Use the new units with your existing Protools software or with any other Mac or Windows based DAW.

Here is the link to the FAQ:

http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/FAQ/Duet-Quartet
Old 09-17-2014, 09:05 AM

Thanks for the information!
But what i don't understand is:
1.: if they are exactly the same, why is it impossible to run the Avid I/O software?
2.: why don't they sell just the interface for PT users?
MacBook Pro i7 Quad 2.6GHz 16GB RAM
ProTools 2020.11
Avid S1
Avid Dock
Avid Control
Digidesign Command|8
macOS Catalina
MOTU 4pre
MOTU Track16
Axiom Pro 25
LinnStrument 128
Roli Seaboard Block

tons of stomp boxes
tube amps
guitars
noise
Old 09-17-2014, 12:10 PM

The AD/DA is the same
The Firmware and Drivers are different

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 09-17-2014, 02:11 PM
Avid

The Apogee interfaces run Apogee's "Maestro" software.

"Pro Tools IO Control" is the software from Avid that works specifically with the Pro Tools | Duet and Pro Tools | Quartet.

Please see the Pro Tools | Duet and Pro Tools | Quartet Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) for more info.
Old 09-17-2014, 03:54 PM

Hi, I recently purchased the Pro Tools Duet the other day and noticed that it said it was only compatible with Pro Tools 11. Because I'm not ready to transition from Pro Tools 10 to Pro Tools 11, I was wondering if it would be backwards compatible?
Old 09-17-2014, 09:43 PM
Admin Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelKhan View Post
Hi, I recently purchased the Pro Tools Duet the other day and noticed that it said it was only compatible with Pro Tools 11. Because I'm not ready to transition from Pro Tools 10 to Pro Tools 11, I was wondering if it would be backwards compatible?
Both Pro Tools | Duet & Pro Tools | Quartet ship with the license for Pro Tools 11 and 10, and also works with any DAW software that supports ASIO, Core Audio, WDM, MME, or multi-client drivers.
Old 10-18-2014, 03:08 AM

Having issue with pro tools io control. Control panel doesn't show or I'm not looking in the right place
Old 11-26-2014, 08:11 PM

Would I have any particular future problems if I were to buy the Avid Quartet and sell the software license [since I already own PTHD]?
Old 11-26-2014, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannymeltzer View Post
Would I have any particular future problems if I were to buy the Avid Quartet and sell the software license [since I already own PTHD]?
Unfortunately, since these first came out, Avid has added info about this in their FAQ. Basically, there is one registration code for both the software and hardware, which makes it less desireable to try to sell.

If you sell the code, the buyer would get the software, but they would also be registering the hardware in their name. This means that if there was ever a need for warrantee repair, safety recall, or future trade-up offers, you would be out of luck.