Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-13-2007, 08:47 AM

Default strange crackle????

so recently, while working on a mix i started to hear this crackle noise, sounds kind of like some digital weirdness with pops and cracks. I am and have been mixing with an 002, LE 7.3 on a powerbook g4 with a firewiredrive. could my drive need to be cleaned up, or i hope its not trouble with the 002 itself. i have already replaced the powersupply in it about 8 months ago. any suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 02-13-2007, 09:04 AM

Default Re: strange crackle????

I'm sorry this won't be a solution post but more of a "I have had that some problem" post. Is it a crackling across the entire output of the monitor amplifier or is it limited to just the left or right channel? Or is it possible that some of your plugins are peaking internally?

On our 002 we just sent back our unit for repairs with a similar issue of a strange crakling and distortion from the right channel of the monitor amp. Digi sent it back to us saying there was no problem and indeed when we plugged it back in the problem had disappeared.
Old 02-13-2007, 09:25 AM

It could be a number of things, but the first thing I would check it so make sure your word clock is set correctly. Sometimes if you accidently change your pro tools (002) clock to slave to something external (like a ADAT) that is set to a different bit rate, you will get digital pops and cracks. Not sure if this is your issue, but I've had this happen before.

The other thing that comes to mind is if you have a lot of edits without crossfades, you may get a pop between edits. If this is the case, just crossfade the suspect edit and see what happens.

Hopefully it's something simple like this.

Best
Jason
Seattle, WA
Old 02-14-2007, 06:53 AM

Yeah I can get this from time to time.

+1 on cross fading edits where necessary

Clean all your contracts with contact cleaner (get it from radio shack or wherever, make sure everything is unplugged and turned off).

Make sure you didn't record too hot. You can get some digital crackling/cliping even when you are not technically clipping....one of the down falls of digital recording.

Hope that Helps!
Old 02-14-2007, 07:04 AM

Quote:
It could be a number of things, but the first thing I would check it so make sure your word clock is set correctly. Sometimes if you accidently change your pro tools (002) clock to slave to something external (like a ADAT) that is set to a different bit rate, you will get digital pops and cracks.
or on the flip side if you are using an external ADAT interface for your 9-16 inputs, (such as Apogee Rosetta, or Presonus DigMax or Focusrite OctoPre) MAKE SURE you set you clock source to slave to ADAT if you want to use that boxes clock instead of internal (the digi002.) But we wouldn't know because you gave no info about your system...