Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Artist Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-02-2016, 05:26 PM

Default WHY does Artist MC Control keep dropping the connection?

The Control is clearly for mixing and, since I work in Nuendo (6.5 & 7), it is nortoriously unreliable! I have never once considered using it to track a session.

I have a desk for tracking, so I don't even bother to turn the MC on for recording sessions. But when I get ready to edit/mix, which may be several days before I need the MC, the MC has dropped it's connection with the DAW! I have to go through all kinds of reboots and other crap to get it to see Nuendo! Sometimes it can take up to an hour before it's back online!

Now, once the connection is re-established and I'm in the edting/mixing stage, it works, for the most part, as it should. I'll fire my mixing projects up for several days straight and the MC is online as it should be. When I hit the recording phase and go longer than 3 or 4 days turning the MC on, the BS cycle starts all over again (WTH?)!

WHY does it keep dropping connections after being off for a couple of days?
What is up with that?!!? It is such a work flow killer to go down ready to start a day's work and then WASTE the first hour or so trying to get your tools to cooperate! Any other users have this problem?
Old 01-04-2016, 04:31 AM

Default Re: WHY does Artist MC Control keep dropping the connection?

Hi Keyplayer, might not be that, but have you updated your network interface driver and the chipset one ?

I'm suggesting this because I encountered some disconnections with my setup (2X artist + Mc control +transport) too and it helped a lot.

I've noticed I was running on windows 10 (and windows 7 before that) Microsoft embedded drivers and forgot to install proper motherboard drivers.

By the way, happy new year !
Old 01-05-2016, 04:50 AM

Thanks for your reply and Happy New Year as well to you. I will try that and see if it makes any difference.
Old 01-11-2016, 05:16 AM

I am having this kind of problem as well but in a Mac system.

I have both Mix and Mc controls into a router at my iMac. Everytime I run the Mc control the Eucontrol software crashs. If I just keep the Mix on, everything goes fine.

I just uptaded all I can in the OS and the Eucontrol, but keeps chrashing.
Old 01-13-2016, 05:30 AM

same here.

avid mix works just fine.
avid artist hangs randomly and needs a restart to connect again
happens few times a day

mac os x 10.10.2
PT 11.3.2 HDn
Eucon 3.2.2
Old 01-20-2016, 09:59 AM

This has been the issue with the Artist series since the beginning. They keep coming out with updates and NEVER seem to be able to fix what seems to be such a basic fundamental need of the product. I don't get it....

I now expect them to be working about 50% of the time.... But really that is embarrassing performance. Never had that issue with My D-command or even Command 8.

Whats the deal?

I was thinking of buying an S3 but have held off because of this.

Does anyone happen to know if this issue in fact happens with the S3 as well? I
have a friend with an S6 that told me it also goes off line all the time.

:-/
Old 01-01-2022, 10:26 AM

Hi, not sure if this thread is still active but I've been having connection issues with my MC Control for years, notably after shifting from OS Mavericks it's never got on particularly well with Eucon.

Been having another go of late and although I've been dabbling with the static IP address before to get it to work I shifted it randomly up to 192.168.0.20 (been using it under .10 previously)

It's now gone from loosing connection every few minutes to being rock solid for two days straight. Not sure if this is coincidence, good luck, or whether it just didn't like lower IP numbers. It could of course just be specific to my system but if this is of use to anyone else to get their MV Control back on the straight and narrow then that's cool.

I'm running an original Euphonix MC Control (v1) with an MC Mix (which never had the same issues and always worked fine) with the latest version of Eucon on Mac OS Monterey.

Good luck folks
Old 01-04-2022, 03:23 AM

If you use fixed IPs for the controllers but they are in a network with a DHCP server it's down to coincidence/luck if your setup is stable or not. As your controller IPs might conflict with addresses handed out by your router to other devices on your network. Which is probably the reason why your old setup sometimes worked but randomly didn't.

Either you set all devices in your network manually with fixed IPs or you set them all to DHCP if you are connected to a router. A mix is asking for trouble or requires tweaking the DHCP setting of your router.

If you *do* for some reason want to use fixed IPs for the controllers in a DHCP managed network you should define a range of IP addresses that the router does not hand out and only use that range for the Artists so that there can't be conflicts. But if you don't understand any of the above ( ;-) ) I'd recommend using DHCP and leave the IPs to the router to hand out and set the controllers to DHCP (which is the default).