Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-10-2007, 11:53 AM

Default Protools and Linux someday?

Hi

I've been away from the DCU for a while, and it's possible that somebody asked this before.

Anyway, my question is:

Shall we have someday the possibility to REALLY choose what OS to use on our computers?

I mean, it will be fantastic to have the chance of using Pro Tools over a Linux platform if we want to, for example over the UBUNTU version of Linux. I've seen it in action and it's very reliable.

Any comments?
Old 09-10-2007, 01:37 PM

Default Re: Protools and Linux someday?

I too would like to see PT available on linux--especially now that Microsoft is pushing Vista. I am currently running PT HD on XP and would like to move my platform to a quad processor system. But I will not upgrade to Vista so the only option for me seems to be make a culture change and move to a Mac. I have been using linux for years, really like it and wish linux was an option for PT. However, I do not think Digi will ever port PT to linux--I just do not think there is enough interest in it for them to justify the development cost and expense associated with supporting another platform.

Digi, if you do port PT to linux, I would use it.

-Andres
Old 09-11-2007, 11:41 AM

Thanks for your comments.

Do you know any Windows emulator for Ubuntu-Linux?

I've heard that using one of those you can run Winapps like Photoshop. Maybe it's worth trying the same emulator to run ProTools don't you think?
Old 09-11-2007, 12:30 PM

I dont think there will be any Linux suport for PT anytime soon, Not enough mass market interest. The plugin devolpers will all commit mass suicide if yet another OS/Platform is introduced

I'm not exactly sure what ethical challanges are presented by running a dongle authorized program on a OS under the GPL all that pretty much run contary to what Linux and Open Source programs are all about.

There may be some legal challanges about what Codecs you could legally use too.

From what I understand PT will run fine under WINE in Linux, with the resulting performance hit that comes with emulation. I Haven't tried it-to techical for me.

Ubunto is good stuff though. I LIKE the idea of a version of PT that you install to its own partitition and that brings ita own custom compiled audio OS with it.

Linux is great in many ways but the the lack of support for Modems and Soundcards is still its achilles heel and continues to be a problem 10 years or so after its introduction.

Word is that a certain emerging DAW WILL be ported to Linux once its Mac Beta is released. It's shiny new code makes the port much easier.

PT Free will never be released open source to much of the code base is in current use from what I understand

Digi support ended for PT free awile back and the the PT Free forum has been locked from new post since back in April or May.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 09-11-2007, 07:51 PM

Nope, won't ever happen. Don't even think about asking.

Doesn't matter if there is mass market support or not (there's more than you might think). Digidesign is already in bed with Microsoft AND Apple. There's no room left in that relationship.

And even if someone DID manage to get Protool running on Linux under one of the Windows emulators, Digi would shut them down with a massive law suit and probably something close to a lifetime of hard labor in a distant off world mining operation for violating the Protools user agreement, and Digidesign's IP copyrights.

Besides, why would you want to use such an awful operating system as Linux? I mean we already have the two best operating systems ever: Windows XP and Mac OS X. Both give you everything you could ever want: faultless security, access to every option in the OS that you could possibly ever want to change, high end hardware requirements, extremely narrow hardware compatibility, countless widgets and auto-loading utilities to eat up your system resources, and best of all, they look like some elementary school coloring book! Oh, and don't forget that they both will help keep your wallet thinner, so you don't strain yourself by carrying around so much extra cash!

Nope...Don't hold your breath that Protools will ever run on Linux.
Old 09-11-2007, 08:24 PM

Quote:
I'm not exactly sure what ethical challanges are presented by running a dongle authorized program on a OS under the GPL all that pretty much run contary to what Linux and Open Source programs are all about.

There may be some legal challanges about what Codecs you could legally use too.
Under Section 9 of the Open Source Definitions by Bruce Perens, Open Source Software cannot contaminate other software.
Quote:
9. License Must Not Contaminate Other Software.

The license must not place restrictions on other software that is distributed along with the licensed software. For example, the license must not insist that all other programs distributed on the same medium must be open-source software.
The Gnu Public License is different from Open Source software. It is one of the licenses recognized by the OSS definitions, but not the only one.

Just because a piece of software runs on Linux, doesn't mean that it has to be Open Source, or licensed under the GPL, BSD, or other licenses recognized by OSS.

Yes, most software for Linux is Open Source, and most of that falls under the various Gnu licenses. And the Linux community does tend to frown upon not respecting the OSS definitions, and the GPL. But, there are lots of companies selling proprietary software for Linux--mostly in the enterprise level corporate IT field.

But there is some fairly high level video editing software that is Linux based, and sells for LOTS of money...ever hear of Smoke...or Rave HD by SpectSoft...or maybe some of the projects undertaken by Industrial Light and Magic.

The market is there. Digidesign has just chosen not to take advantage of it.
Old 09-14-2007, 02:06 AM

I think it would be interesting if Digidesign made their own OS out of an existing Linux distribution. They could customize it however they wanted...
Old 09-14-2007, 12:07 PM

First of all, thanks for all your comments.

I think that what we are talking about isn't impossible. I'm a PT fan, I like the software and the hardware that Digidesign makes. I use PT everyday, at least 8 hours per day. I would only like to have the possibility of choosing what OS to run on my computer, and not to be pushed to one only choice (WIN XP) or to a completely shift of platform (MAC running MAC OSX).

Sebastian
Old 09-14-2007, 03:08 PM

Quote:
I think it would be interesting if Digidesign made their own OS out of an existing Linux distribution. They could customize it however they wanted...
They can't keep what they have patched let alone maintain a OS

I keep praying that they will make OSX available for PC, which come to think of it just as likely as PT on Linux.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 09-14-2007, 08:27 PM

OSX happens to BE a flavor of Linux under the hood.