Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-27-2003, 03:04 PM

Default Blue Screen with LE on Win XP

Hi,

I seem to have hit the same problem as some others, but have not been able to fix it with the info found here - so I have to ask you all for you rassistance...

When installing PT LE, I get the blue screen of death [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] and the following error every time I try

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">code:<hr /><pre style="font-size:x-small; font-family: monospace;">
DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
*** STOP: 0x000000D1(etc, etc, etc, etc)
*** dalwdm.sys
</pre><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">System is
  • <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Dell Dimension P4 1.8GHz
    512MB RAM
    Swann Firewire Connectivity Card
    Intel A04 BIOS
    Intel(R) 845 Chipset
    Digi 002
    80GB 7200 IDE HDD
    LITEON DVD-ROM LTD163
    CDRW
    Ethernet Card
    Modem
    USB ADSL Modem
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">
I have tried various settings in the BIOS and have USB enabled and PCI set to NO. I have also ignored Driver signing and selected DMA if available as per the guidelines.

I have tried all types of install and removed/disabled the extra network/modem cards with no luck.

I have also done a quick scan of my RAM and it comes up clean. I will repeat with a deep scan and see what gives too I guess.

PLEASE HELP IF YOU HAVE ANY IDEAS I HAVE TRIED EVERYTHING SHORT OF REINSTALLING XP....

THANKS
Old 02-27-2003, 05:46 PM

Default Re: Blue Screen with LE on Win XP

dalwdm is the Wavedriver.
The wave driver is supposed to be installed after ProTools has been successfully installed...

So I have to wonder how did it get in there before Pro Tools got installed, or are we missing something in the chronlology here?

Quote:
Page 4 of the Wave driver Readme.pdf:
"If you remove the wave driver, it is reccomended that you also remove the Dalwdm.sys file and Pro Tools or Pro Tools LE (in that order), and then do a clean install of Pro Tools or Pro Tools LE."
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">The first step would be to get the Wave Drivers out through Control Panel> Sounds and Audio Devices> Hardware> Digidesign Wave Driver> Properties> Driver Tab. Uninstall Driver.

Also you need to check to make sure that these are also gone:

In Windows\System32\Drivers
Dalwdm.sys v. 5.0.1.329

In Windows\Inf\Other
DigidesignDALWDM.inf

In case your (or anybody elses') machine will not boot at all into Windows, you'll have to boot into Safe Mode and do the repairs there...

Quote:
To get to "Safe Mode":
1) While computer is restarting hold down either the ctrl or F8 (depends on computer) key before the Windows Splash Screen appears.
2) Start Menu > Find > Files and Folders.
3) In the "Named" Field type in the following file names, one by one and delete each as they are found.
diomidi.dll
digi32.dll
digi16.dll
digimm.dll
dalvxd.vxd
digiprox.exe
directio.dll
dsi.dll
digiui.dll
dalwdm.sys
digidesigndalwdm.inf (might not be there)
dae.dll
4) Empty Recycle Bin and Restart.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Then if this works, send me $10 for consultation fee...
Old 02-28-2003, 12:18 AM

That is exactly what I do not understand either....why does it install the wave driver when trying to install LE?

I don't even want the wave driver anyway as they say you cannot have that and the ASIO driver at the same time. I really just want to get pro tools going rather than bother with either of them actually!!

The install seems to be half baked after bombing out...there is no Digi section in the control panel at all, but some of the drivers are in the folders you list. If I click the LE icon it cannot find my hardware when it loads...

I have tried removing LE before the re-install attempts, but I will manually delete the files you suggest and see if that makes a difference.

Thanks

Ben
Old 02-28-2003, 12:25 AM

Do this:

Using the remove software control panel:

Uninstall the PACE drivers from your system.

Uninstall Pro Tools LE from your system.

Search for dalwdm.sys on your system and delete all occurences of it.

Go to device manager, and in "Sound, video & game controllers" look for your Digi hardware.. right click on it and select "Uninstall" if it's listed.

Go to Start->Run and type in "regedit" and hit OK.

Go to the key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE and look in SOFTWARE and select the key "Digidesign". Right click on it and choose "Delete" and say OK to the next warning dialog. This will remove the remnants of the last install.

Restart your system with your hardware attached and reinstall the Pro Tools software. Install it to your C: drive - even though I've had mine installed on other drives.. recently I had to do a change from an MBox to 002 and by doing this procedure I was able to install the 002 without errors.

Rail
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Old 02-28-2003, 10:16 AM

OK Guys,

This is just a nightmare....thanks for your advice, but I am still getting the exact same problem.

I have tried both the steps suggested.

There are no Pace/Digi products that I can remove via Control Panel, and I cannot see the 002 in the device manager either.

I did delete all of the copies of dalwdm.sys though, as well as the registry entries. I also deleted the digidesign dir under program files, and any of the other files I could find...

Just to be sure, I also removed every card from my PC except the video card and the firewire card!!

My other hope was perhaps to make a new install CD with a newer version of the driver - but I cannot find one. I have dalwdm.sys v 5.3.2.190 - anyone else have a newer one?

I also tried copying the CD to my HDD and installing it from there after deleting the file, but the same thing occurs still????

Has anyone got any other ideas? I am nearing the stage of installing XP again [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]

Thanks for your help, please advise if you have a newer driver or any further ideas. I have logged this with digi, but I am still waiting.
Old 02-28-2003, 11:00 AM

Yes.. move your Firewire card to another PCI slot.. you more than likely have an IRQ conflict. Which FW card do you have?

Also go into Device Manager and in the View menu, select "Resources by connection" and click on the + next to IRQ and see what the FW card is sharing its IRQ with.

I have the same version 5.3.2.190

Rail
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Old 03-02-2003, 05:07 AM

Right....well....I couldn't find any conflicts, tried other slots - no luck.

I then decided to partition my HDD and do a fresh XP install on the new partition....the good news is that PT LE now works!!

I have no idea exactly what was causing the problem on the other system, but I assume it is something to do with some of the junk Dell loaded onto my PC before they shipped it (that I have no need for). So a nice clean install and no problems (once I disabled my ethernet card!!)

Thanks for your help guys, I am glad it is finally going! [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]
Old 03-02-2003, 02:02 PM

So am I. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
You know, that Digi wave driver is not a necessary element of running 5.3.1? It is for running other applications through the Digi hardware.

I'm now wondering if there isn't some difference in the way 5.3.1 installs with a 002 than it does with a 001...? Things that make ya go hmmm.