Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 03-27-2007, 03:35 PM

Default 003 ADAT Optical & SPDIF inputs - simultaneous recording?

I'm looking at purchasing an 003 Factory. I am curious if I can simulaneously record both the ADAT optical 8 channels and SPDIF RCA 2 channels at the same time?

Does anybody know about the possibility of this setup?

Thanks.
Old 03-27-2007, 04:20 PM

Default Re: 003 ADAT Optical & SPDIF inputs - simultaneous recording

Never done it with my 002, but it should be possible. As they state you can record up to 18 simultaneous inputs. (8 analog, 8 adat, 2 spdif)
Old 03-27-2007, 04:30 PM

I don't think that it works like that. It's probably the same as the 002, one or the other, because you can't clock 2 separate digital signals at the same time. at least I don't think.

It does say 18 simultaneous in's and out's on the 003, but not on the 002. It might be possible but I think that was probably worded wrong. we will have to have someone put it to the test.

Pro Tools 10 HD Native | Mbox 3 Pro | MacBook Pro 2.3 i5 | OSX 10.7.4

Pro Tools Music & Post Operator V6-8, Instructor, and Expert ICON Mixer Certified.
Multi-Platinum Pro Tools Videos
Old 03-27-2007, 04:48 PM

Quote:
It might be possible but I think that was probably worded wrong. wew will have to have someone put it to the test,
Anybody up for the challenge?
Old 03-27-2007, 06:23 PM

it is definatly possible, as long as you have your clocking system worked out, then no dramas. It is easier with the 003 than the 002 because of the dedicated word clock input. So if you had say a big ben, you would feed all 3 digital devices (003, ADAT converter, SPDIF converter) with the same clock feed.

With the 002 you would have to be more creative. You could in possibly clock the ADAT converter and the SPDIF converter to the 002... Or use one of the external converters as the master clock... and slave both the digi and other converter to it though its digital inputs...
Old 03-27-2007, 06:51 PM

Quote:
it is definatly possible, as long as you have your clocking system worked out, then no dramas. It is easier with the 003 than the 002 because of the dedicated word clock input. So if you had say a big ben, you would feed all 3 digital devices (003, ADAT converter, SPDIF converter) with the same clock feed.

With the 002 you would have to be more creative. You could in possibly clock the ADAT converter and the SPDIF converter to the 002... Or use one of the external converters as the master clock... and slave both the digi and other converter to it though its digital inputs...
In another post, EvilElf informed me that what I was trying to do was not possible, but you seem to be contradicting that. This is on the 002 by the way, which I'm scheduled to have modified by Black Lion Audio next week.

Ulimately, I'm looking to have access to 10 inputs at once... 8 analog plus the S/PDIF inputs. I'd want to clock internally to take advantage of the soon to be upgraded clock, and have it be the master for an extarnal pre that has Optical in/out and S/PDIF out.

I have the hardware set up as such... Clock Source: Internal; Digital Source: S/PDIF = RCA, Optical = ADAT.

With that set up, should I be able to have to 002 as the master clock, clocking the pre via ADAT, and record via S/PDIF from the pre on inputs 17 & 18?

I have a post not far below this titled "Problems with S/PDIF input on 002 Rack". Would you mind checking it out? I can't seem to record to the S/PDIF inputs.
Old 03-27-2007, 07:11 PM

[QUOTE]
Quote:

In another post, EvilElf informed me that what I was trying to do was not possible, but you seem to be contradicting that. This is on the 002 by the way, which I'm scheduled to have modified by Black Lion Audio next week.

Ulimately, I'm looking to have access to 10 inputs at once... 8 analog plus the S/PDIF inputs. I'd want to clock internally to take advantage of the soon to be upgraded clock, and have it be the master for an extarnal pre that has Optical in/out and S/PDIF out.

I have the hardware set up as such... Clock Source: Internal; Digital Source: S/PDIF = RCA, Optical = ADAT.

With that set up, should I be able to have to 002 as the master clock, clocking the pre via ADAT, and record via S/PDIF from the pre on inputs 17 & 18?

I have a post not far below this titled "Problems with S/PDIF input on 002 Rack". Would you mind checking it out? I can't seem to record to the S/PDIF inputs regardless where I'm clocking from.
Old 03-27-2007, 07:56 PM

I looked at that last post and it was all over the shop! haha will try and help you from here...
What is the SPDIF converter you are trying to interface with the digi 002?

Quote:

I have a post not far below this titled "Problems with S/PDIF input on 002 Rack". Would you mind checking it out? I can't seem to record to the S/PDIF inputs.
Old 03-27-2007, 08:33 PM

High guys sorry to piss on your party but if you are using any thing via adat light pipe ie digimax it has to be the clock source!!!!
if you try syncing it to the internal clock on the 002 or 003, same differnce, what ever is on the optical it will hunt for sync.
just tried to make sure.
the digimax has BNC clock in/out so you could connect something like big ben to improve clocking but the clock is better in the digimax than the 002 so sound is improved slightly any way.
i posted a question couple of weeks a go asking if clocking the digimax from something else would be an improvement (i had a lead on a reasonable Ardsync) i was advised that the clock in the digimax was pretty good and the improvement would not be that great.
Any how who ever was getting the Black lion mods if you are planning on getting something going on the adat be aware of this cos you aint going to be able to use the internal clock on the 002 with adat connected.
Correct me if im wrong but as i say i just tried it and sample light on digimax just keep hunting for sync
Thanks Shaun
Old 03-27-2007, 08:43 PM

PS you can get eighteen this way i use the spidif for my Lexicon