Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-14-2012, 06:19 AM

Default New Mac pro 2013 and PTHD

well here is the deal:

i know that some how in the near future i need to upgrade my Mac pro.... i have the 3.1 mac pro 2.8 quad , which works great but i can feel that after allmost 4 years it has started to show some tiredness ....it still works great with my Protools HD accel Rig , updated to ML 10.8.1 8 gigs of Ram...but when i open some VI i can sure feel that it works hard...especially when i am recording at 88.2 and need more Native power since i am using most of my dsp's for HEAT and I/O...
i don't know if i should upgrade my Mac pro to the current New mac pro that should work much better (not the the 12core model which is over priced !!!)
it's a quad 3.1 ghz...seems great...and ready for HDX once i'll make the jump...or should i wait for the new Mac pro which are planed to be released in the next few month more or less...and if the wait is worth while since avid might drop the support for the old HD systems completely and qualify only HDN and HDX....
i am not planing on going HDX in the next 3 years...no need - HD accel 3 still is amazing for me , so i know it is gotta come from the computer side...

sorry for the long post but i do need a good advice

Ariel
Avid Omni HD
MacPro 2.4 Xeon 8 core 24Giga
UAD-2 And most of the UAD plugins
All AAX DSP and Native Plugins (all most)
Tons of Hardware...:)
Old 09-14-2012, 07:04 AM

Default Re: New Mac pro 2013 and PTHD

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilulilu888 View Post
well here is the deal:

i know that some how in the near future i need to upgrade my Mac pro.... i have the 3.1 mac pro 2.8 quad , which works great but i can feel that after allmost 4 years it has started to show some tiredness ....it still works great with my Protools HD accel Rig , updated to ML 10.8.1 8 gigs of Ram...but when i open some VI i can sure feel that it works hard...especially when i am recording at 88.2 and need more Native power since i am using most of my dsp's for HEAT and I/O...
i don't know if i should upgrade my Mac pro to the current New mac pro that should work much better (not the the 12core model which is over priced !!!)
it's a quad 3.1 ghz...seems great...and ready for HDX once i'll make the jump...or should i wait for the new Mac pro which are planed to be released in the next few month more or less...and if the wait is worth while since avid might drop the support for the old HD systems completely and qualify only HDN and HDX....
i am not planing on going HDX in the next 3 years...no need - HD accel 3 still is amazing for me , so i know it is gotta come from the computer side...

sorry for the long post but i do need a good advice

Ariel
I doubt anybody here knows what Apple is going to do with the Mac Pro and when and if they did are unlikely to be posting about it. OTOH the current models are far enough behind the technology curve that I'd really want to be hurting to want to upgrade from an older Mac Pro to one of these. All Apple has publicly said is they will refresh the Mac Pro in 2013. That's not necessarily in a few months.

Darryl
Old 09-14-2012, 11:30 AM

If you're main problem is VI's, getting a new Mac Pro won't help much, even a 2013 model. That will only maybe see improvement when Protools 11 comes out and goes 64 bit. That may be October, or maybe not.

In the meantime, look into Vienna Ensemble Pro.
Old 09-14-2012, 12:28 PM

Apple did say that there would be real new Mac Pros next year (I'm assuming Ive bridge for the Xenon CPUs needs to bet sorted out that should give them Thunderbolt and USB 3)

If VIs are your hangup you need ether to run an external host app or wait and see what AAX does for VIs

The 5.1 refresh is a step up form the 3.1. We just did a few but I would have held out for next years model if I had had my way

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 09-14-2012, 01:03 PM

If you can wait. Wait.

The current Mac Pros aren't worth the price of admission. Almost everything about a modern consumer PC is faster than what's in a Mac Pro. Clock speeds, buss speeds, RAM speeds... Plus they have no USB3, SATA3, PCIe 3.0 or Thunderbolt. You could build yourself a PC for between $1000 and $1500 that would be faster than any Mac Pro in existence. The Hackintosh route is a good way to go if you're willing to invest the patience and need something right now.

Otherwise, as was mentioned, a new computer won't really solve your VI issues... but when Pro Tools 11 hits, it will be nice to have a computer that can properly run it.

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515
Old 09-14-2012, 01:32 PM

I totally agree on waiting. But if you're need some more performance now, why not look at a second computer for VI's. As mentioned you could build a PC/Hack for not a lot of cash. And use it to run the VI's through Vienna ensemble or reaper. I'm not terribly familiar with how difficult that is to set up, but know there are several people doing it. You'd also still have the "VI" computer to use with your new rig once you retire your current Mac pro.
Old 09-14-2012, 04:04 PM

Yes... I would wait...

Plus food for thought... The new MACs only come with Lion which means upgrading all Plugins aswell and needing to ensure everything on your current system will be compatible with that OSX..

I just upgraded one of our studio machines with a new MAC Pro but the headache of upgrading everything and paying to have all my plug-ins upgraded, I had to replace the existing USB extender system as it would miss notes on the keyboard with Lion... basically an expensive already enough to replace MAC Pro then made me pay a lot more to upgrade hardware and other software.

Plus the new MAC Pro will be extremely dope... so just hold tight.
Old 09-16-2012, 02:30 PM

I bought a current 5.1 mac pro recently. Great thing is it works now, with the current software, and also it exists as a current machine rather than a rumor. All these things are quite useful.
Old 09-16-2012, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray JB View Post
I bought a current 5.1 mac pro recently. Great thing is it works now, with the current software, and also it exists as a current machine rather than a rumor. All these things are quite useful.
The future machines are not a rumour. Apple actually said they promise a new machine for the Pros in 2013.

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515
Old 09-16-2012, 03:42 PM

Anything is a rumor until released.