Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools

Old 10-21-2021, 03:34 AM

Default Re: Atmos 7.1.4 PT and Logic

Just thought I would chime in here on this.

I have done some initial testing and the I must say that the workflow in Logic Pro X is actually pretty great (though given it's majority user base, we're gonna hear some pretty out there mixes, if people don't take the time and set it up correctly)
I have imported/exported masters using DAPS and Logic... and yup, they do the same thing. Both ways.

Fully compatible. So just saying, that this is not some half ars....d attempt with some phoney "spacial" attempt, but it's actually the real deal, with a different interface.

I disclose that I really only use Logic for music production and PTU for audio post, however, have been using both for 25 years and I think we're living in some pretty exciting times.

Anyway, keen to hear more experiences from other users.

Be good to each other,
Regards,
Matt
AVID Collab user - mattrixx

MacStudio Ultra / LogicProX / IzotopeRX10+ / SourceConnect / MelodyneStudio5 / WAVES Mercury / NI KompleteUltimate / ProToolsUltimate / RME UFX, UFXII, Babyface / AVID S3 + DOCK / Barefoot MM27 gen2 / Barefoot FP01

Last edited by mattrixx; 10-21-2021 at 03:34 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 10-26-2021, 11:01 PM

I have gone through the experience of trying to set up and work in Atmos with a smaller system and DAPS and matrix studio. Fine for small projects.
I believe this is what Logic is trying. To put out a core audio set up where the mixes will be done in AirPods or headphones and this is how they will experience their mixes.

If you want to do Atmos with beds for music, dialogue, fx’s etc. and all the objects. DAMS with an RMU, if not doing large scale theatrical where you lease the RMU from Dolby. Having the RMU on say a Mac mini with a Dante card a 7.1 Mac, Protools Ultimate HDX and a loaded MTRX, S6, S3, S1, dock, is the way to go. Of course good room and the full speaker set as well. Expensive yes, but the work flow and production is so much easier.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 10-26-2021, 11:17 PM

Yes, I totally agree on all fronts.
I don't think people are going to be mixing features in LPX, let alone Netflix series.
But it will be pretty interesting to hear how people muck this up in Logic. ;-)
I must admit, that what I've heard in Spatial audio on Apple Music, hasn't really grabbed me.
When listening to binaural music, in my experience, it has been disappointing overall, as it feels like transient energy has been sacrificed in the process.

MacStudio Ultra / LogicProX / IzotopeRX10+ / SourceConnect / MelodyneStudio5 / WAVES Mercury / NI KompleteUltimate / ProToolsUltimate / RME UFX, UFXII, Babyface / AVID S3 + DOCK / Barefoot MM27 gen2 / Barefoot FP01
Old 10-26-2021, 11:37 PM

new... from instagram...

sirgregwells

Mixing Atmos in the new Logic is like flying a fighter jet with an undo button. But putting Little Radiator across an Atmos mix bus is so much I should be fined.
Old 10-26-2021, 11:45 PM

Haha gold!

Old 10-27-2021, 04:02 AM

Quote:
When listening to binaural music, in my experience, it has been disappointing overall, as it feels like transient energy has been sacrificed in the process.
Interesting that you say this matrixx.
I wonder if it's similar to the LtRt process that always smeared the sound relative to a straight stereo version?
Or it could be more to do with a bad head transfer function.
I have a Smyth Realiser and when you use a personalised head transfer no transients are lost.
That's the missing link in Binaural at the moment, we all have different shaped heads and ears, so the average functions that Apple Spatial Audio for instance uses are always going to be a bit underwhelming.
Old 10-27-2021, 04:15 AM

Wow, yes, that is super interesting.
I do have a larger head circumference than average, but thought I'd calibrated things accordingly.** (Geezz, I've left myself open for some banter right there. LOL. I noted when sizing my new LaCrosse helmet last year LOL).

**Until I google the "Smyth Realiser".. Wow!!
Makes a whole lot of sense in this area, I totally must admit, I haven't spent a lot of time in.

I'd love to learn more about you experience with all of this and further knowledge regarding the smearing effect.

Sincere regards,
Matt

Old 10-27-2021, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattrixx View Post
Yes, I totally agree on all fronts.
But it will be pretty interesting to hear how people muck this up in Logic. ;-)
I must admit, that what I've heard in Spatial audio on Apple Music, hasn't really grabbed me.
Yes. I completely agree. I keep thinking I must be crazy that so many others seem to be raving about the binaural music. I have yet to find a mix I like better in binaural then stereo. Sure, if it was played back in a professional ATMOS environment, I might like it more, but I'm not convinced that this is how consumers will intend to listen to the ATMOS mixes.

Apple is pushing this spatial audio so hard right now and I'm worried that all Logic users are now going to mix all of their music in Spatial Audio while monitoring in binaural with headphones and we are in for seeing the release of some very crappy mixes the next few years.

My prediction is that it is only a few years until spatial audio for music will be forgotten.
160 GB RAM
macOS 11.7.4
Noisebox Studios -Utah Recording Studio
Old 10-27-2021, 11:41 AM

I remember “Rock Yours in Quad” that radio station is stereo today. If you listen in the correct environment like a movie theater or your home 5.1-7.1 you will hear it. I guess they will have to come up with a helmet with 13 speakers and subs. It will be so much better than the kids with the scooters and just the headphones that cut through traffic, at least they will be better protected

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 10-27-2021, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzi45Z View Post
I'm not convinced that this is how consumers will intend to listen to the ATMOS mixes.
The number of people with proper Atmos playback systems is frighteningly small. Sound bars are populating living rooms everywhere, but this doesn't come close to proper. I'd guess that very few even have ceiling-mounted speakers, or dedicated height speakers of any kind. I'm not even sure how many family rooms ever had, or have, 5.1 systems that we'd call acceptable but I bet that's also a tiny fraction, and thinning the herd even further is the fact that they need to be adjusted for the room. Yeah... it's a small number.