Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-15-2010, 07:13 AM

Default 003r monitor section

Is it just mine or do all 003r have a poor sounding monitor section, my mixes have been coming out to bright and the low mids a bit muddy when listening at home on the stereo or pc, at the studio my mixes sound great, Im aware that the acoustics of my room influence my mixes so I did some tests, I connected the line outs 1 and 2 of the interface directly to the monitors (Adam A7´s) and damn, so much more definition and clarity revealing a lot of detail.
I then connected it to a Samson C Control that I had from a previous setup and even it is much cleaner than the 003r monitor section, why does it blur the sound so much.

Any one else came to this conclusion?

I need a better master section perhaps a Presonus Central Station.

Hotstuff
Old 04-15-2010, 08:09 AM

Default Re: 003r monitor section

The monitoring section on the 003R is what it is---part of a bundle of many things in that box to make a great value. While it is functional, the level of monitors you have is above what the 003's sonic capabilities can show you. And for the record, the same is true of the older Control24 and even for the new C24. Something like the Central Station certainly is a noticeable improvement! I have done this very testing myself with my Control24 and (at that time) ADAM P33A's as well as S1A's although I now have the JBL LSR6328 monitors. I have done direct comparisons of the outputs of my 192I/O into various monitor controllers including the built-in ones and there was no comparison that the Central Station was a solid improvement! In YOUR case with the 003 the Central Station offers a digital input offering you a pro quality D/A converter that (surprisingly) VERY good and an upgrade from your 003R.

Should you get one? YES! It was a big upgrade in my PTHD rig, I'm most certain it will be a big one on your LE rig
Old 04-15-2010, 08:24 AM

I agree with Mad Brad

Sounding great
in the studio from ur monitors coming off anything LE & even HD hardware @times doesn't mean a thing...

'IS TAMARA HOME'
NO, SHE'S WITH
HOBO KEY
'' (that dopey green thing)

('we' must start using pronouns)
Old 04-15-2010, 02:48 PM

Hi,

Thanks for answering, to me the DA is not actually bad, its just the actual monitor section circuit, it makes the highs duller and makes every thing sound fuller and more powerful in the studio but in the real world my mix is thin sounding, it really is bad and quite frustrating.
I did a mix of a song today of a song i had already done before only this time I went from the DA directly to a samson c control to my monitors and man what a difference it was when I heard my mix in the car and at home, eaven mixed through the lowly samson which is cheap and colors the sound but is still far supperior to the 003r monitor section
Its really frustrating when it sounds great in the studio and then outside it is all wrong. Im releaved that im on the right track.
Even the volume control on my Digi 001 was truer and clearer then this.

Hotstuff
Old 04-15-2010, 11:02 PM

Could it be the studio you're working in? Are you sure he tuned his room? I normally listen to my main mons through S/PDIF but on ocassion, I've switched to Analog Mons out of the 003 and don't think they're that bad.
Old 04-15-2010, 11:29 PM

The 003r gives you a whole lot of features for a little bit of money, so the fact that the monitor section might sound dull shouldn't be a big surprise. It is considered an entry level / hobbyist piece of hardware (thus the LE moniker)

It is absolutely the D/A as well as the fact that LE is not sample accurate. Theoretically, you shouldn't lose any fidelity when printing/bouncing a track. But you do and it is unfortunate. The clock is also entry level on the 003r. So while it may sound create while playing, when printing the track, the jitter that is introduced into the system also creates a stereo field "smudge" if you will.

Just my experience.
Old 04-16-2010, 04:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by themadarchitect View Post
The 003r gives you a whole lot of features for a little bit of money, so the fact that the monitor section might sound dull shouldn't be a big surprise. It is considered an entry level / hobbyist piece of hardware (thus the LE moniker)

It is absolutely the D/A as well as the fact that LE is not sample accurate. Theoretically, you shouldn't lose any fidelity when printing/bouncing a track. But you do and it is unfortunate. The clock is also entry level on the 003r. So while it may sound create while playing, when printing the track, the jitter that is introduced into the system also creates a stereo field "smudge" if you will.

Just my experience.
I don't kno why most don't get that

'IS TAMARA HOME'
NO, SHE'S WITH
HOBO KEY

Old 04-16-2010, 04:27 AM

This is true of most native applications and is what is referred to as the SUMMING BUS per say. ProToolsHD is affected very little, if any, by this but many native systems must endure it.
Old 04-16-2010, 04:44 AM

Hey Mad Brad I gotta change gears for a brief moment: I grabbed a Glyph drive & I must say that, while I don't hav any issues or probs, every blue moon when I'm recording multiple tracks @ once, I may get a hiccup(buffer) when I 1st hit record maybe 1 out of every 34 times when recording on my Sata drives... with the Glyph, I went 6hrs straight cutting 8 voc tracks @ once & not 1 hiccup @all...

OK, back to our regularly scheduled program; the 002|003 monitor section ITB sucks

'IS TAMARA HOME'
NO, SHE'S WITH
HOBO KEY

Old 04-16-2010, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by themadarchitect View Post

Just my experience.
Can somebody explain this "PTLE is not sample accurate" thing cause this is a news for me.
There is also a method to experiment this thing?

Thank you