Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-05-2003, 07:58 AM

Default peak master- where, doc, kickin, chompers, et al ...??

For those of you who do a 'junior' mastering on PTle: I am finding the peaks of individual songs using the Audiosuite gain plug, then using the L1+ to up the level close to zero. The resulting song is then put through an L1+ on the master fader (preceded with a C4) to get a final composite of songs with close output levels ... is there any comprimise of sonic quality here?
Thanks
Old 03-05-2003, 09:11 AM

Default Re: peak master- where, doc, kickin, chompers, et al ...??

In my opinion, it's never a good idea to use two L1's on any track/song. One instance on the master fader or in a separate mastering session is fine, but I've noticed that anytime that a track or song has been effected by two L1's, it gives things a very strained and thin quality (with too much bass boost as well). It could be a cool effect if you're going for it on purpose, but otherwise I would try to avoid using the L1 anywhere other than in the mastering stage of your song.

Again, just my opinion [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-05-2003, 10:10 AM

Thanks, that's good to know ... I'll keep it in different sessions ...
Old 03-06-2003, 05:23 PM

I generally agree with Slim on multiple instances but there are exceptions though.
For example, a mix I am finishing now has a thunderclap at the end that I want to create some impact. I put an L2 on that channel and pushed it a few dB for added punch without needing to sacrifice the level of the rest of the song. The final master of the album this track is from will probably have an L2 on it too with minimal or no gain.
Something else to consider is whether you want all tracks normalised (maximum level without compression). Quite often the level your ears perceive and what the meters tell you is quite different. This is partly due to the non-linear sensitivity of human ears and the varying frequency content of different songs. My advice is to trust your ears and adjust levels to suit.
Also, it is my opinion and indeed the opinions of most other mastering engineers that less is usually better. Get it right before mastering. The best compliment you can get is for the mastering engineer (or you if it's a DIY) to say, "I don't need to do anything to that".
Old 03-06-2003, 06:16 PM

thanks doc, i appreciate your thoughts!
Old 03-07-2003, 07:22 PM

Does it sound good to you?
This is the only question.

I prefer to mix the final with nothing on the Master. Sometimes I will leave DUY Wide but, no limiting. Then I send it our for mastering. If the band wants a hyped CD I spend 5 minutes with Wide,McDSP, and sometimes L1+ on the end. I prefer to not use it if I don't have to. It seems to effect imaging to me..?? I could just be crazy but, when I hear my mixes squashed with L1+ they almost sound mono-ish, thin, I don't know how to put my finger on it OR describe it but, I don't care for it. Mosy clients don't hear it so I use it.

D